Katahdin

Jdubs

A little trip kinda side-tracked me from getting these pics posted sooner.  How's that expression go, "Go big or go home"? :taunt:  Well, as if Katahdin wasn't already epic enough, I drove out Friday and did a sunrise hike to the biggest, windiest and deadliest peak around: Mt. Washington!  

As much fun as that was, there is no question that Katahdin rates as my best hike of them all.  Man, I can't wait to do this again!  Hiking into Chimney Pond was a fairly simple 3.3 mile walk in with some very cool spur trails to incredible viewing spots of the surrounding mountains.  The real treat is arriving at Chimney Pond and walking out past the ranger's station to the massive sight of Katahdin looming some 2400' overhead!  It's just awesome!  Checking on the latest forecast info with the ranger, there was a chance of storms possibly developing in the early afternoon and a cautionary word to consider descending down the Saddle trail if anything started to roll in from the west after I reached summit.  Fortunately, nothing serious ever developed.

Very eager to get going, I left Chimney Pond and started on the Cathedral trail.  No amount of pictures will do this "trail" justice!  It is a straight up, 1.2 mile boulder climb :danced: gaining 2150' of elevation gain with enough exposure to make Knife Edge seem like a walk in the park!  No joke, this was THE most intimidating ascent I have ever made and they even advise people to never descend this trail.  Four and five points of contact were necessary nearly all of the way up.  I've never been so thrilled and terrified in my whole life!  Quads burning, I finally made it to the top and from there it was a short and sweet .2 mile walk to the summit.  The folks already up there could probably see my smile the whole way.:D

The summit offers some of the best views you'll ever see.  It's jaw-dropping up there.  I lingered around for an hour, took pics and even met a young couple that had just completed the Appalachian Trail.  Just amazing.  Gassed up and ready to go, next it was time to finally cross over the infamous Knife Edge.  I have video taken about mid-way, but not sure if I can figure out how to post it here?   No way, no how I'd ever want to be up there on a windy, wet or stormy day!  The drop-off on either side is well over 2000' and there really is a section that is only 3' wide that you need to cross over!  I took my time, picked my way across and just enjoyed the hell out of that whole experience.  Just awesome, awesome, awesome!  

This hike and my entire stay in Maine (thanks again Bionic for all the info!) was incredible.  I'll be back for sure, but not soon enough. :good:

110.jpg

135.jpg

DSCF4998 (2).JPG

141.jpg

111.jpg

136.jpg

131.jpg

145.jpg

139.jpg

151.jpg

150.jpg

119.jpg

DSCF4982 (2).JPG

066 (2).jpg

047 (2).jpg

093 (2)_LI.jpg

• Like 7

Beautiful ! I climbed as far as the top of tuckermans ravine . With my skis on my back.. That is as close to the top of Mt Washington as I've ever been....

I have a pic somewhere of me staring down a moose in the middle of the trail. If I lost the staring contest I was not going to stand my ground..lol..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Beautiful ! I climbed as far as the top of tuckermans ravine . With my skis on my back.. That is as close to the top of Mt Washington as I've ever been....

I have a pic somewhere of me staring down a moose in the middle of the trail. If I lost the staring contest I was not going to stand my ground..lol..

Very cool!  I've always wanted to see a moose in the wild.

@Jdubs I am so happy for you, and so glad you did this hike! Congrats on 2 more peaks!  You definitely deserve it.  Glad I could give a little info, but that was great write-up in this post.  Like I said before that Cathedral trail is no joke, just because its the East coast you wouldn’t think there would be a hike like that here.  Disappointed to hear you didn't see a moose.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Congrats again Dubs! Awesome and gorgeous pics! The pic showing your route in purple really drives home what you accomplished. I’m happy to see it if only through your pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one good thing about this trail is that it's well marked with blue paint dashes to follow.  I took that pic while coming down off Chimney Peak and having a serious wtf?! moment on how to get down and then up to Pamola.  I could see those dashes and was like, you want me to go where?!?! :rofl:

That spot was very tricky.  Figured if I was gonna fall and die, may as well get it over with right there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bionic said:

@Jdubs I am so happy for you, and so glad you did this hike! Congrats on 2 more peaks!  You definitely deserve it.  Glad I could give a little info, but that was great write-up in this post.  Like I said before that Cathedral trail is no joke, just because its the East coast you wouldn’t think there would be a hike like that here.  Disappointed to hear you didn't see a moose.....

There is nothing else like it at all in the northeast.  Hands down, the best hike around.  Thanks again a 1000 times over for helping me to plan my trip to Maine!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

There is nothing else like it at all in the northeast.  Hands down, the best hike around.  Thanks again a 1000 times over for helping me to plan my trip to Maine!

Something special about that area thats for sure.  My pleasure! Glad you went! Next trip for you is to find you some bull moose!  I just registered my ATV for Maine, coming soon for me again.  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Something special about that area thats for sure.  My pleasure! Glad you went! Next trip for you is to find you some bull moose!  I just registered my ATV for Maine, coming soon for me again.  :D

Hopefully, we won't need to beg to get you to post pics and updates like last year! :haha:

• Like 1

I'd like to go back and do it again. Of course I'm almost 20 years older now, so it might be rough. 

Went up the Abol slide and down the knife edge. Only we left WAY too late in the day for July temps and it was killer. We were out of water by the time we got to the top. (and I brought 3-4 times the "recommend amount" of water/gatorade. Thank god for water filters. 

• Like 1