Blind Question

moog5050

So for permanent or semi permanent blinds that deer become accustomed to (not really hidden-just there all the time) wouldn’t it make sense to paint the outside of the window covers black?   Seems to me that the first thing deer notice when we open windows on a blind that they see every day is the new black openings compared to the Camo.  If they saw it that way always, the deer would be less inclined to pay attention.  Thinking of painting the outside of the window covers black on my permanent redneck soft side blinds.  Thoughts?

if I do, any reason not to use basic black spray paint?  I guess I could cover with black duct tape 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So for permanent or semi permanent blinds that deer become accustomed to (not really hidden-just there all the time) wouldn’t it make sense to paint the outside of the window covers black?   Seems to me that the first thing deer notice when we open windows on a blind that they see every day is the new black openings compared to the Camo.  If they saw it that way always, the deer would be less inclined to pay attention.  Thinking of painting the outside of the window covers black on my permanent redneck soft side blinds.  Thoughts?

if I do, any reason not to use basic black spray paint?  I guess I could cover with black duct tape 

Use flat black primer..

• Like 1

I propose you dig deep and channel your inner Bob Ross with this....Why not paint a head shaped silhouette in brown of something with the flat black paint while you are at it? I don't think it would do much harm and it might get them to react less if they do see you in there since the see the silhouette in the window painting. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DanD said:

I propose you dig deep and channel your inner Bob Ross with this....Why not paint a head shaped silhouette in brown of something with the flat black paint while you are at it? I don't think it would do much harm and it might get them to react less if they do see you in there since the see the silhouette in the window painting. 

I had some custom printed screens made .

20190729_075318.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I had some custom printed screens made .

20190729_075318.jpg

You beat me to it!! Lol. 

I would have someone stand back and look to see what a deer would see as if you were hunting from it.. and try to duplicate that image. If your wearing all black when you sit in it, go with black then as you mentioned. a flat balck 

4 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

You beat me to it!! Lol. 

I would have someone stand back and look to see what a deer would see as if you were hunting from it.. and try to duplicate that image. If your wearing all black when you sit in it, go with black then as you mentioned. a flat balck 

Honestly my attire varies throughout the season from neon leotards early season to bedazzled smart casual attire later season.  So I just went with black.  Black matches everything!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly my attire varies throughout the season from neon leotards early season to bedazzled smart casual attire later season.  So I just went with black.  Black matches everything!

I do believe you left out your leopard print snuggie, but I'll forgive you this once...

3 minutes ago, DanD said:

I do believe you left out your leopard print snuggie, but I'll forgive you this once...

Yep - that one I like to keep to myself.  I always change into camo before the hero shot though to maintain my manly image.

• Like 3

The screens are black
On mine

6d4af3af3ebf807f5d055b0c6ee1d9fe.jpg

When I hunt from blind I usually wear black sweatshirt and black hat or face paint and only open small portions of some windows. most windows i keep closed with screen so i can look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The screens are black
On mine

6d4af3af3ebf807f5d055b0c6ee1d9fe.jpg

When I hunt from blind I usually wear black sweatshirt and black hat or face paint and only open small portions of some windows. most windows i keep closed with screen so i can look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just turn the volume down on the TV and keep everything wide open.  But we do have dumb deer up this way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I just turn the volume down on the TV and keep everything wide open.  But we do have dumb deer up this way.

All deer are dumb, but 18 deer per square mile is whole other ballgame.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

All deer are dumb, but 18 deer per square mile is whole other ballgame.

In all seriousness, in bow I do tend to keep a few windows open and try to keep it dark inside.  Little easier on a platform vs. eye level to get away with more.  I think you would call it cheating.  Up this way, we just call it successful hunting.  I don't like messing with opening the window when a deer is closing in.  Gun is a different story.

Edited by moog5050

48 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

In all seriousness, in bow I do tend to keep a few windows open and try to keep it dark inside.  Little easier on a platform vs. eye level to get away with more.  I think you would call it cheating.  Up this way, we just call it successful hunting.  I don't like messing with opening the window when a deer is closing in.  Gun is a different story.

Yea, I don't mess with the windows during the hunt at all. I meant that I leave certain closed all the time and just look through the screen. I only keep cracks open where i would potentially shoot from. Technically you can shoot through the mesh anyway, but i wouldN'T try it with a bow. A gun i would, but i dont hunt in blinds with gun so it's a moot point.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, I don't mess with the windows during the hunt at all. I meant that I leave certain closed all the time and just look through the screen. I only keep cracks open where i would potentially shoot from. Technically you can shoot through the mesh anyway, but i would try it with a bow. A gun i would, but i dont hunt in blinds with gun so it's a moot point.

I have never shot through the "shoot through" mesh either.  I have shot into the fabric accidently.  That doesn't work so well.  lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

I've poked through the fabric

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Scared me more than the deer that were 15yds away.  They just kept walking.  I thought a bomb went off in the blind.  lol  Never found the arrow but it just clipped the window. 

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, I don't mess with the windows during the hunt at all. I meant that I leave certain closed all the time and just look through the screen. I only keep cracks open where i would potentially shoot from. Technically you can shoot through the mesh anyway, but i would try it with a bow. A gun i would, but i dont hunt in blinds with gun so it's a moot point.

Don't ever shoot through the mesh with a gun. 2 reasons. The muzzle blast will melt it up pretty good and to do that would mean the muzzle in IN the blind with you. That report will make you think your ears are gonna bleed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ever shoot through the mesh with a gun. 2 reasons. The muzzle blast will melt it up pretty good and to do that would mean the muzzle in IN the blind with you. That report will make you think your ears are gonna bleed. 
I've heard of people shooting shotgun through mesh at yotes and the whole blind collapsed on them like it got sucked out. Not to mention insane noise. No thanks. I do shoot through mesh with bow but my blind location usually has very few distances. I need to get a better more durable blind. The popups keep crapping out on me the first snow. And I want to use them for coyotes. Need a good cheap semi permanent option next few years

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've always wanted to sit in a blind all day with a heater during muzzleloader season ,I'm always too lazy to carry the blind in the woods. Then if I did walk that hill with a blind over my shoulder ,I sure as heck wouldn't need a heater as bad as I would need a towel and a change of clothes.

Edited by Jeremy K