Can you keep a buck on. Your property??

That article is interesting. First off, there is NO WAY to hold a buck on your property other than 2 proven methods. Kill them, or have a high fence. Interesting how they have narrowed down nothing. Some Young bucks travel far, some did not. Some of the 4.5's traveled far, some did not.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

it's totally possible to have a buck spend more of it's time on your property. it won't stay on your property but the longer and more frequently it's there the better.

If he feels safe. Has preferred food source close by. Water. And access to doe's during the rut. A buck has no reason to travel.

But they do!

With all he wants close by, he's apt to travel less.

Depends on the individual too. Some are home bodys. Some just have that grass is always greener outlook. 

But if you can give them all they want, I feel it does up the odds of keeping more on your property.

Because if they don't find what they want. They will look elsewhere. Pretty simple.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I wonder if a bucks brain tells him to keep track of doe activity before the rut . Or do they worry about doe once they know it's play time?

Interesting question I also stumbled upon when I had several cams on a 60ac property. Began to see an annual BB travel semi-pattern. Generally saw bachelor groups wandering around (a few times) in an aimless manner during the July time frame when there was clearly NO food sources making them travel there Were they sort of checking out where the girls were living? Then again, I often saw bucks (some strangers) traveling around in places I had never seen them before, around the last week of October. Were they checking out where the girls were? I'm assuming this to be true...!?!Of course, all pre-rut behavior. We all know "all bets are off" when the rut begins for any predictable travel patterns!!! All confirming my hunting strategy, if you know where the girls are, the boys are bound to show up!

No problem.  Right now there is about one and a quarter mature bucks in our freezer, in addition to a couple of button buck roasts (I am saving those for "special occasions").   We have been "eating out" more than usual this year, so our venison is holding out better than usual.   

As far as live ones go, I have been able to hold button bucks without much trouble as they tend to stick close to their mothers which are very territorial.  After they get those protruding antlers in their second year, there don't seem to be any way to hold them on small properties.   It always seems to be the does that control the "best" food and cover areas.   I don't really care where the mature  bucks go, outside of about three weeks centered on Veteran's day.  Having some "resident" does around at that time has always caused a few mature bucks to cruise thru and make it to the ultimate final destination: "deer heaven" - my family's food supply.                    

• 2 weeks later...