How Early Do You Hang Your Stands?

buffalojay83

We leave all our stands year round. We move a couple and add a couple every year but for the most part they stay put. Just check straps etc and replace as needed....
Same. I like to try and take them down and store the seats and platform for the off season but I never get around to it so mine have been out there for the last 5 years or so. Gotta find a way to get new millennium treestand straps that lock the bottom platform to the tree. They don't seem to have them on the website

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

We leave all our stands year round. We move a couple and add a couple every year but for the most part they stay put. Just check straps etc and replace as needed....

The deer get use to them and don't pay attention . Checking the straps is very important . I carry an extra set of ratchet straps in my backpack during hunting season . 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

..... Gotta find a way to get new millennium treestand straps that lock the bottom platform to the tree. They don't seem to have them on the website

Any specific reason you can only use Millennium straps? Always use Tractor Supply 12' x 2k# red ratchet straps on my ladder stand platform, top & bottom. If you're talking about hang-ons or climbers, guess I may not have helped!!?!!

My thinking (right or wrong?) was to have all ladder stand in place in July. My assumption was deer had time to get use to them. Then you read about the people moving stands around during the season and having good luck immediately after! Who knows.....

The idea of not entering you hunting area after Labor Day sure sounds like a good idea, maybe! I don't do any wood in the woods after that date, but the temptation to check my cams is TOO great to resist. My assumption is if the deer smell your scent from occasional ventures to check cams and they don't see or perceive any danger, won't this carry-over to you entering the woods during hunting season? Conversely, I there is no intrusion or scent for a couple months prior to the season and then you enter the woods, won't they be alarmed? Of course, as scent-free as you think you are, guessing you're not. Who knows.... Whatever works!!!!

I like to be done by september 1st with stands so they are used to them.  As for being out after september 1st doesnt make much of a difference on my lease.  Its an active hobby farm so they are always in the woods anyways. 

Not trying to hyjack thread just a quick question.  My only thing this year is the neighbors running those blue sap lines so they are in place all year.  Neighboring properties have it as well. Think it will change their pattern?

I leave them out year round and try to check them for safety and trim shooting lanes by Labor day weekend.   This year I am only moving one, and I hope to get that done soon.   I killed a deer from a cheap pop-up blind last season, but it got crushed later by snow.   I plan on moving a hang-on stand to a tree near that location.  It is over at my folks place and I am a bit reluctant to do it.   I do not like spending a lot of time in the woods until after a good frost for fear of tics and Lyme disease.   My dad just got diagnosed with that, so I suggest anyone working in the woods now take precautions (Sawyers, deet, etc).         

• Sad 1

with somewhere around 40 stands on the total 80-90 acres I hunt (2 parcels), they stay up all year.  Moved a couple last weekend and checked the rest at one parcel.  Might do the same this weekend at the other plus cut trails.  Then done until Oct. 1.

40 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

with somewhere around 40 stands on the total 80-90 acres I hunt (2 parcels), they stay up all year.  Moved a couple last weekend and checked the rest at one parcel.  Might do the same this weekend at the other plus cut trails.  Then done until Oct. 1.

with 40 stands of experience, what is your favorite brand/model? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

with 40 stands of experience, what is your favorite brand/model? 

We buy basic ladder stands preferably with metal seats for around $50/stand.  They last a long time.  Not the most comfortable, but do the job economically.  If I was only hunting 2 or 3 stands, I would focus more on comfort that you get from $200 stands, but the ones we have set work fine.

• Like 1

Any specific reason you can only use Millennium straps? Always use Tractor Supply 12' x 2k# red ratchet straps on my ladder stand platform, top & bottom. If you're talking about hang-ons or climbers, guess I may not have helped!!?!!

They attach to the stand on these two stick out things on either side of the underside of the foot platform with loops. I just figure why not keep the same straps. I'm gonna have to cut them off soon before they strangle the tree to death as they're so tight I'll never be able to flex the rachet thing enough to loosen them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On 7/31/2019 at 10:35 AM, moog5050 said:

Holy crap dude, 40 stands to choose from. I had 11X on ~60ac at one time & it was more of a spin the wheel as to where to sit at any specific time. Due to the geometry of my former property, factoring in wind direction didn't come into play. MOOG, must be quite a decision every hunt as where to sit...! :wacko: Gives being in the right place at the right time a whole new decision making process..!?!

Edited by nyslowhand

59 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

Holy crap dude, 40 stands to choose from. I had 11X on ~60ac at one time & it was more of a spin the wheel as to where to sit at any specific time. Due to the geometry of my former property, factoring in wind direction didn't come into play. MOOG, must be quite a decision every hunt as where to sit...! :wacko: Gives being in the right place at the right time a whole new decision making process..!?!

Im with you it takes me a little bit to figured out which one of my 6 to sit on 30.  And i just added extra ground blinds.   I do get having the extra stands to play every wind.  My place just swirls except when we get an east wind.  

Last year I was getting some nice deer on cam. Of course the excitement grew and checked them again and again and after every check I wasn’t seeing them as often. This year I’m hanging stands and cams this month. Will probably check them only once or twice before the 1st then only check them when I hunt 

• Like 1