How Early Do You Hang Your Stands?

buffalojay83

4 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Holy crap dude, 40 stands to choose from. I had 11X on ~60ac at one time & it was more of a spin the wheel as to where to sit at any specific time. Due to the geometry of my former property, factoring in wind direction didn't come into play. MOOG, must be quite a decision every hunt as where to sit...! :wacko: Gives being in the right place at the right time a whole new decision making process..!?!

Options are nice.   Wind, time of year, morning vs afternoon, observations and hot sign all come into play.   Some of more doe stands and others left for the time I think I will see a buck.   Then of course you have the spin the wheel strategy too.  Lol

As I think about it, I have killed more than one doe from the same stand but all of my mounts were killed from different stands.  

Edited by moog5050

Our ladder stands stay out all year. I will be replacing the last hang on stand on the property next weekend with a ladder stand. To be safe I would put them up a month or two before season. I have in the past moved a stand in the middle of season. First sit deer came right under it and nothing bothered them. I always thought you could move a stand but you have to be careful, how much is too much to upset a big old buck? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, First-light said:

Our ladder stands stay out all year. I will be replacing the last hang on stand on the property next weekend with a ladder stand. To be safe I would put them up a month or two before season. I have in the past moved a stand in the middle of season. First sit deer came right under it and nothing bothered them. I always thought you could move a stand but you have to be careful, how much is too much to upset a big old buck? 

I put my one and only Ladder Stand up 9 years ago , it's lag bolted into the tree . Scores every year !

• Like 1

I just went and trimmed two spots yesterday. I climb up in my climber and look what needs trimming,then do just that. After i got into the first tree and looked around for a few minutes i see a deer approaching. Looked like a year old doe. And behind her was the old big doe. They were mulling around,both within 20 yds. That big doe was a shooter for sure. I hope i didn't use up my luck for opening day already. It was neat to watch these two,they caught my scent once in a while and were on full alert but still hung around for 15 mins or so.

• Like 1