Landpro Niagara Falls John Deere dealer rant

OK, this is going to be a long one. Four weeks ago, I walk into the garage and there is a pool of fluid by the front right tire. Axle leak. Bring in to Landpro, which recently took over the JD dealership in Niagara Falls. They only have one mechanic, so it takes almost 3 weeks before it's looked at. Once they start to take the front axle apart they realize that the left axle seals/whatever need to be done, too, and possibly the gearbox/pumpkin in the middle of the front axle. [I'm not a mechanic, so I might not be saying the parts exactly right.) Ryan, the service manager, says once we take it apart we will know better if the gearbox needs to be replaced. He says it will cost about ~$800 for both axles and ~$1,300 if they change the gearbox, too. I tell him OK, do what you gotta do. Last Wednesday I call to see how it's going. Ryan the service manager is gone, working at a new job, and the mechanic is out for a personal matter. The guy at the desk doesn't know what the status of my repair is, only that the mechanic has logged several hours on it. Friday midday I get a call, I'm told the mechanic came in for a half day and finished up my tractor. Great. I go to pick it up. Guy at counter tells me total is $700. I pay him. He then gives me a printout of the invoice/receipt. On it, in the notes it says: "customer not fixing the way it should be fixed. he says cause of costs, so axle could still leak." I flip out on the guy. That's not true. I never said that. No one told me that. So apparently Ryan, the former service manager didn't think changing the gearbox was necessary, but the mechanic did. So I ask the guy if I bring it back to get the gearbox changed, how much will it cost? He says they have to take it all apart again, so $1,300 additional. I say no, it shouldn't cost me more than $1,300 TOTAL, counting the $700 I already paid. He says he needs to get back to me on that. I also asked him to call Ryan and get his version on what repairs were needed. So I'm kind of screwed in that I can't get a straight answer from the dealer if the gearbox needs to be changed, and if it does, the $700 I already paid is wasted.

Update: I spoke to the new manager at the location this afternoon. He says he spoke to the old manager and they both agree that the leak that the tractor was brought in for was repaired and is covered with a 90 warranty if it leaks again. The mechanic did suggest changing the gear box housing and maybe some ball bearings (I have no idea what's inside the pumpkin and what may have already been replaced inside it.) but that is a preventative recommendation. It doesn't sound like they ever spoke to Ryan, the former service manager, fwiw. He also is going to mail me a new invoice/receipt with the mechanic's notes taken out. (That they would give a customer a receipt with notes like that written on it is an issue unto itself.) So at this point, I think I just keep an eye on it. If it does leak again over the next 90 days, I take it in under warranty. If the gearbox is leaking or something else breaks, I think I will take it to Drake's in Clarance, another JD dealer. Extremely aggravating experience with Landpro.

So anyone know anything about front axle leaks and gearboxes/pumpkins? Anyone have any experience with Landpro or Drake's?

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I can't speak about the tractors, but that sounds like a horrible experience. I would have went nuts also. In reality, you may have paid $700 for nothing. Sorry to hear.

Well, at least the current right side leak was fixed, and the left side was done as a preventative measure. It's just a wild card/crap shoot as to if or when the middle gearbox will leak.

• Like 1

There was one other tidbid the new manager mentioned. He pointed out that the front tires were loaded with calcium and that was "hard on the gearbox"/was a factor in the leaks? Again, I have no idea how that stuff works; didn't really follow what he was saying. I did tell him I was putting new ag tires on the front that would not be loaded, so that should be a factor anymore, as far as axle leaks go.

• Like 1

Major shiit show at Land Pro.............that blows.

As far as Drake's goes, I bought my snowblower from them last winter and that went very well.  Also, my boss has done plenty of business with Tommy Drake and his wife over the years both in purchasing from them and them purchasing things from him.  Me personally, I was involved in the construction of their covered front entrance a few years ago and it went well.

• Like 1

What is the year and model of your tractor Goose? 

This ^
Check to see if there is oil in the diff. Cardboard under both wheels. Is there any noise in the front end in 4wd? Seals leak it just happens. Axle bearings are another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Sucks you got shafted per say but anyone in today's world that gives a shop the green light by saying...Do what ya gotta do... is asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, ironically, in this particular instance, my complaint is that they didn't completely address the issue. I would have been fine with them doing the $1,300 in repairs. Then I don't have to worry about it, and I move on with things.

So, you think I'm asking for trouble because I tell the shop I want the problem fixed properly? OK, we have different philosophies, I guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goosifer said:

I just realized, the tire shop that put on the new agent tires told me the old tires were solid foam, not calcium, if that matters.

Yes makes a lot.more sense..well not really but glad you got some ag tire on it now, you will notice a huge difference immediately. ( take it easy turning on your lawn they will tear it up quick)

• Like 1

A front end loader is tough on a front axle of a tractor., no matter what the make.  The boom and bucket should be removed when not in use. Higher speed road travel is the worst enemy.  I advised it to my customers for years now.

Also, front tires should never be loaded, with a front loader installed.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 2