Finally!

After 15 months, I finally got my NYS pistol permit from Erie county. One think I am very happy about is that it's Unrestricted. Now I need to go through the process of getting back my old pistol (CZ 75D PCR) and getting reacquainted with it at the range. I've gone to Niagara gun range in the past to sight in my long guns, but want to check out Wolcott's in Lancaster as well. Anyone have any recommendations for Erie or Niagara county gun ranges or instructors?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

What's the story behind "getting back" your old CZ, different state?

I had it legally in FL when we used to go to the condo in St. Augustine for the winter. When we sold the condo a couple years ago, I transferred it to a hunting buddy who has a NYS pistol permit. So he just needs to transfer it back to me via a FFL and I need to register it on my permit. (I haven't read the details on the process yet, but that should basically be it.)

• Like 1

Are you aware of the public outdoor area in Niagara County? I've shot there many times since before and after joining Niagara County Sportsman's club.

Here is a copy/paste from another site.........

Alabama Swamps. Search Google maps for Bartel Rd, Newstead, NY. Free shooting between Noon and dusk. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

Are you aware of the public outdoor area in Niagara County? I've shot there many times since before and after joining Niagara County Sportsman's club.

Here is a copy/paste from another site.........

Alabama Swamps. Search Google maps for Bartel Rd, Newstead, NY. Free shooting between Noon and dusk. 

Thanks. My wife's uncle has talked about shooting long guns there. It didn't occur to me for pistol.

Oh and congrats on getting a highly coveted NYS Concealed Carry Permit!!  :)

Oh and one more "oh"........this past winter I bought a Sig 365 and have been thoroughly impressed with it.  I thought about getting a CZ 75D PCR a number of times but found them just a bit too bulky.

The Sig is a perfect size and the magazine capacity is great.

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Oh and one more "oh"........this past winter I bought a Sig 365 and have been thoroughly impressed with it.  I thought about getting a CZ 75D PCR a number of times but found them just a bit too bulky.

I love my CZ, but I do think that it is still a bit too big for concealed carry. I will be on the hunt for a baby pistol this winter that's love handle friendly. I think CZ has a smaller pistol, which I will look at, but I doubt I will be able to find one locally to see how it feels or shoots before I were to buy it. The Sig P365 sounds like a great pistol. I will look at that one, too.

I have a bunch of little ones; S&W 37 .38, S&W 342 .38, Beretta Bobcat .22, Keltec P32 .32cal, S&W Shield 9mm, the SIG P365 9mm and a Haenel Schmeisser .25ACP

If you'd like to shoot any, holler.  I'd meet you at Wolcott some night this winter.....

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I have a bunch of little ones; S&W 37 .38, S&W 342 .38, Beretta Bobcat .22, Keltec P32 .32cal, S&W Shield 9mm, the SIG P365 9mm and a Haenel Schmeisser .25ACP

If you'd like to shoot any, holler.  I'd meet you at Wolcott some night this winter.....

Thank you, Larry. I'd like that. Very thoughtful of you.

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I second the offer with a bunch you can shoot.  Yelling goat after    But why we waiting til winter ?!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I second the offer with a bunch you can shoot.  Yelling goat after    But why we waiting til winter ?!

Thanks, Jay. That would be awesome.

I'm super busy right now with trying to finish up a work project, getting in food plots, getting ready for my trip and keeping the Mrs. happy with family obligations. We're leaving for Italy on Sept 8, back Oct 20. Then I have to get ready for hunting season (Nov 1 Xbow). In the meantime, I need to get my pistol back and go practice to make sure I'm still a respectable shot, especially if I'm trying out a new pistol. It's been a couple of years now. So realistically, it will be post-Nov before I can go to the range with you guys. This year did not go as planned as far as getting stuff done . . . .

8 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I'm super busy right now with trying to finish up a work project, getting in food plots, getting ready for my trip and keeping the Mrs. happy with family obligations. We're leaving for Italy on Sept 8, back Oct 20. Then I have to get ready for hunting season (Nov 1 Xbow). In the meantime, I need to get my pistol back and go practice to make sure I'm still a respectable shot, especially if I'm trying out a new pistol. It's been a couple of years now. So realistically, it will be post-Nov before I can go to the range with you guys. This year did not go as planned as far as getting stuff done . . . .

Hunting season is oct. 1 !!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Xbow opener is Sat. 11/2.

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2019 at 3:36 PM, goosifer said:

After 15 months, I finally got my NYS pistol permit from Erie county. One think I am very happy about is that it's Unrestricted. Now I need to go through the process of getting back my old pistol (CZ 75D PCR) and getting reacquainted with it at the range. I've gone to Niagara gun range in the past to sight in my long guns, but want to check out Wolcott's in Lancaster as well. Anyone have any recommendations for Erie or Niagara county gun ranges or instructors?

15 months?!!!  Dear lord. Wait time is down to about 4 months in Erie Co. as of now. Mickey Kearns has made a lot of positive changes at the PP office. Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

15 months?!!!  Dear lord. Wait time is down to about 4 months in Erie Co. as of now. Mickey Kearns has made a lot of positive changes at the PP office. Congratulations!

I'm going on 2 months in Niagara county

1 hour ago, FatBoyD said:

Wow. 4 months!? Jim Emmick of Firearms Training of NY was telling me earlier this year that for Erie county, if you live in an area where the Sheriff does the background checks, it's 6-8 months. If it's in a town that does their own background checks, it's around 12 months. He also said that the Erie county sheriff offered to take over background checks for all of Erie county, but three towns refused. Politics.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:52 PM, Lawdwaz said:

i've fondled a Sig 365 multiple times. I will own one. Just not a priority right now. trigger surprised me. i was expecting something horrific in that kind of gun.