Trial and error Plot

Just wanted to show again, how simple you can do a plot as long as some moisture is present.. I broadcast these QDMA RR beans into green growing jungle in Early June. Then rolled over the 3 and 4ft tall vegetation same day with a poly roller and rain in near future. My intentions were to spray the same day or the following day, but my sprayer broke so i did not get a chance to terminate this growing vegetation.  The rain came, as well as hot weather.. The bent over vegetation acted as a green active sauna for many days as it layed down over seeds, which aided in germination process, retained moisture and protected the green growing sprouts.  I took this pictures about 4 weeks after broadcasting seeds  the day I terminated crop. Since the jungle has been terminated I will seed a nice fall blend into it. The green growing jungle keeps deer browse down, compared to having a mono culture of soybeans growing as well. Id imagine th ebeans will be getting wiped out when i get there soon to get the fall seeds in.. will try to remember to post more pics.. 

This plot is full of soybeans, even though it does not look it.. Deer feed on many weeds too

20190709_165742.jpg

20190709_165809.jpg

20190709_171051.jpg

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

with soybeans, that may be even better than a clean plot.  at least the deer have to search a bit before mowing them down

Yes sir, protects them as they begin to grow. In more ways than 1. 

8 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Way to go, LET EM GROW.  Speeds the whole planting cycle up. I have some hay that's getting seedy. I just may roll it over and try this with some radish. I  tend to work up a good seed bed for radish, but with a year like this, what the hoot.

Ive rolled golden rod and all sorts of weeds, including hay and grains .. It works great. And brassica seeds grow the easiest right there with Rye Grain. For people like me who have very little free time, this method type is hard to beat. And better for soil than beating it up with a plow or tines, .. as long as moisture is present. 

This is a long standing and proven method. This no till approach is often done using a crimping roller on a cover crop like Rye. The seed is broadcast and the cover crimped. (if using a "weed stand" you can round up and them use a conventional roller like Let'em Grow suggested.) If using a seed drill the crimping takes place first and the seed placed through the crimped cover crop. As a dead mulch the  moisture retention, lack of erosion and new weed barrier is great. 

https://www.shfarmsupply.com/New-Inventory-2019-GENESIS-Attachment-Implement-GOLIATH-8-CRIMPER-ROLLER-Any-Location-5254246

@moog5050  next years build?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just wanted to show again, how simple you can do a plot as long as some moisture is present.. I broadcast these QDMA RR beans into green growing jungle in Early June. Then rolled over the 3 and 4ft tall vegetation same day with a poly roller and rain in near future. My intentions were to spray the same day or the following day, but my sprayer broke so i did not get a chance to terminate this growing vegetation.  The rain came, as well as hot weather.. The bent over vegetation acted as a green active sauna for many days as it layed down over seeds, which aided in germination process, retained moisture and protected the green growing sprouts.  I took this pictures about 4 weeks after broadcasting seeds  the day I terminated crop. Since the jungle has been terminated I will seed a nice fall blend into it. The green growing jungle keeps deer browse down, compared to having a mono culture of soybeans growing as well. Id imagine th ebeans will be getting wiped out when i get there soon to get the fall seeds in.. will try to remember to post more pics.. 

This plot is full of soybeans, even though it does not look it.. Deer feed on many weeds too

20190709_165742.jpg

20190709_165809.jpg

20190709_171051.jpg

Pretty good germination on that for $9 a bag...lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

This is a long standing and proven method. This no till approach is often done using a crimping roller on a cover crop like Rye. The seed is broadcast and the cover crimped. (if using a "weed stand" you can round up and them use a conventional roller like Let'em Grow suggested.) If using a seed drill the crimping takes place first and the seed placed through the crimped cover crop. As a dead mulch the  moisture retention, lack of erosion and new weed barrier is great. 

https://www.shfarmsupply.com/New-Inventory-2019-GENESIS-Attachment-Implement-GOLIATH-8-CRIMPER-ROLLER-Any-Location-5254246

@moog5050  next years build?

I looked at the crimp rollers earlier this year but the price tag was obscene.  I also saw some DIY builds so maybe we should consider.  We would need to plant something in the spring to keep that swallow wort out until fall planting.

14 minutes ago, Glen said:

Will a cultipacker like the one shown have a similar effect as the Crimper ? Could this eliminate spraying ?

Capturec.JPG

it won't work the same. The "fins" on a crimper roller are there to crush the stalk of the plant so that the plant cant transfer nutrients and water and dies. the cultipacker pretty much would be like using a smooth lawn roller. 

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I looked at the crimp rollers earlier this year but the price tag was obscene.  I also saw some DIY builds so maybe we should consider.  We would need to plant something in the spring to keep that swallow wort out until fall planting.

we could spread winter wheat this fall and then crimp. 

https://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Books/Managing-Cover-Crops-Profitably-3rd-Edition/Text-Version/Nonlegume-Cover-Crops/Winter-Wheat

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

im going to try one plot this year well actually two areas terminate both with gly then spread seeds. one area is mowed regular ill leave that alone once seeded the other is taller after seed hit it with bush hog. just to see how they do

But just rolling it won't kill the grasses and will eventually compete and over shadow the beans wouldn't it? I don't have deep pockets for a nice drill or crimper like growing deer tv but I was thinking of trying a similar approach next yr in the poor man's fashion.

If you can boys, Id do a winter Rye if you can find it. Higher in carbon and wont break down near as fast as Winter Wheat does Builds organic matter quicker too. It still works great but once dead, WW decomposes quickly. I did this with WW the last 2 years. 

I have an old 36" light weight steel roller. I was considering filling it with concrete and either welding or bolting some angle iron to it in a like wise pattern as the goliath crimper. If time ever frees up. 

This system is so simple, as long as the right seeds are used, and the following season crop is considered when planting the present crops... 

The germination in these beans were so much better than last years it seemed. Could have been the rain present was greater this year compared to last. I have a few more bags i plan to roll in with my fall blends too. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have an old 36" light weight steel roller. I was considering filling it with concrete and either welding or bolting some angle iron to it in a like wise pattern as the goliath crimper. If time ever frees up. 

I wish I could still find the page. They tested crimping rollers of different configurations and the roller with fins straight across the roller performed better than the spiral pattern so many are using now. The down side was a vibrating ride at higher speeds. The spiral has the same amount of fins in contact with the ground all the time so it doesn't "bounce" like the straight fins will. For ease of fabrication I think I'll go with straight. I think I am going to use 18" diameter pipe and go with plate and welded ends. I can then fill with water for weight and drain to move and for when it freezes. At 5' wide it would be almost 53 gallons, (440#) not counting the weight of the frame and roller. That should work even if we needed to run it over twice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I wish I could still find the page. They tested crimping rollers of different configurations and the roller with fins straight across the roller performed better than the spiral pattern so many are using now. The down side was a vibrating ride at higher speeds. The spiral has the same amount of fins in contact with the ground all the time so it doesn't "bounce" like the straight fins will. For ease of fabrication I think I'll go with straight. I think I am going to use 18" diameter pipe and go with plate and welded ends. I can then fill with water for weight and drain to move and for when it freezes. At 5' wide it would be almost 53 gallons, (440#) not counting the weight of the frame and roller. That should work even if we needed to run it over twice. 

Right The only reason i want to do the spiral type is for ease of transportation to and from as well as while in use.. So its not hopping or bouncing is the teeth "engage" and "disengage".. other wise straight across would be the way to go and easier.. unless i can find away to transport it from plot to plot so its not such a harsh ride..   

That sounds ideal in size, covers your 1 full pass of the wheeler. Wish i had a garage to tackle these jobs with.. would make it much easier lol 

Edited by LET EM GROW

i should've done this. instead i used a heavy set of discs behind the tractor. churned it all up until it was dirt. i planted the QDMA soybeans but they've been getting mauled by the deer. all that's left is weeds and grass coming back. sit we had to do it in order to smooth out the area and get a lot of rocks out of there.  at least now it can be mowed or whatever.  might disc a couple strips perpendicular to each other and throw down a mix of clover and something else.

On 8/1/2019 at 7:16 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If you know anyone that has old antifreeze, I filled my roller with it. Auto repair shops, pay to recycle it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i should've done this. instead i used a heavy set of discs behind the tractor. churned it all up until it was dirt. i planted the QDMA soybeans but they've been getting mauled by the deer. all that's left is weeds and grass coming back. sit we had to do it in order to smooth out the area and get a lot of rocks out of there.  at least now it can be mowed or whatever.  might disc a couple strips perpendicular to each other and throw down a mix of clover and something else.

top seed some brassica. 

• Like 1

I ended up spraying this plot with Gly on friday with a brand new Black Rain single spray nozzle.. The thing works amazing.. from my 2.4gpm pump im getting near 25' coverage per pass on calm conditions and level ground. So much quicker. Anywho, back on track.. Sprayed this plot with Gly Friday afternoon, And spread my Fall blend over the top. No rolling or packing of anysort.. The vegetation here was 4ft tall in spots. We got unplanned 20 minute downpour about an hr or so later. Hopefully the Gly took well enough. But the beans were thick still but beginning to be browsed for sure,  in the spots where they were hidden best, the bean plants are well over 2ft tall..  Ill post more pics when I return from OBX end of this month. The dead stuff will fall over given time and my hopes are for some green growing fall groceries.. After vacation ill see how its coming along and how much WR or WW i need to apply. This crop will aid in growing next years spring/summer crop.