Youth Hunter Help

fasteddie

A friend of mine's grandson is 14 . Tommy passed the Hunter Safety Course last year . Neither his grandfather or Father hunts . I am considering taking him during the Youth Weekend this this season . I think it's usually around the Columbus Day weekend .

I know I need to get a permission slip from his Dad . What does Tommy need besides a Big Game licence ? Does he need to apply for a anterless permit ? He would have to use my rifle as neither he , his dad or grandfather own a rifle . Much of the needed info is in the Regs Booklet as far as wearing blaze orange , and other things . Tommy and his dad have shot Trap and he has done well so I know he can handle shotgun recoil . 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, virgil said:

He can use a DMP, DMAP, or regular season tag during the youth hunt.  There are also blaze orange requirements.

The regular season tag would only be a buck tag . Does he need to apply for an anterless tag ? The Regs Book states that 250 square inches of hunter orange must be worn . 

26 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pretty sure that regular season buck tag is either sex tag during the youth weekend

Yes.

16 minutes ago, virgil said:

What TF said- they can use whichever tag on a deer of either sex.  But, they can't get additional tags for later in the season.

And yes.

No elevated tree stand hunting as well.

Really nice of you to be a mentor to that young man Eddie.

He's very lucky to have found someone with your experience, willing to help.

Edited by grampy