Hunting Leases - Southern Tier

39 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

$15/acre seems like a steal. $100/acre by me (at best). $5K for 40 acres easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define near you because last time I looked was a lot more then thst with in a 50 mile radius of you and me more or less . 

Leases are way expensive...........  can not believe people actually pay those prices..... 

D pends on the lease in my opinion. Mine is 12 months a year exclusive use. Allowed to build a cabin and for the cost of taxes or less. If anyone owned it their pay the mortgage and taxes. Since mine is on timber company land the only thing I can’t to do cut standing trees.

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

D pends on the lease in my opinion. Mine is 12 months a year exclusive use. Allowed to build a cabin and for the cost of taxes or less. If anyone owned it their pay the mortgage and taxes. Since mine is on timber company land the only thing I can’t to do cut standing trees.

We have the same type of lease and pay $2100 for 75 acres from Cotton Hanlon. 

• Like 1

Have seen most leases around here for about $14 an acre.  But me and another guy pay $350 each so $700 for 120 acres.  It's a great deal but I also know the guy and he knows he can trust me. And it's not prime farmland and very hard to hunt it but it works out for all of us. It's exactly 6 minutes from my house too. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Define near you because last time I looked was a lot more then thst with in a 50 mile radius of you and me more or less . 

I haven’t seen many leases in Westchester/Putnam. Have you?

Reading some of the prices people are paying upstate and I’d be ecstatic for those. Here on LI if I told you that one of our leases is probably a years salary for some. Not bragging just saying it’s all relative to where you’re located. I literally just spoke to someone this past weekend about expanding our operation to Kentucky and lease prices are $17-$35 per acre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I haven’t seen many leases in Westchester/Putnam. Have you?

No like 1 or 2 I think i saw a few years back and they wanted like 20,000 30,000 for like 20  30 acres if I remember correctly.  Crazy 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

No like 1 or 2 I think i saw a few years back and they wanted like 20,000 30,000 for like 20  30 acres if I remember correctly.  Crazy 

You saw this in NYS?  I honestly don't believe it because absolutely NO one would ever pay such an amount in NYS. You can kill monster whitetail bucks in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Texas, etc. for way less, so why would anyone in their right mind pay such an amount in NYS for 20 to 30 lousy acres????

23 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You saw this in NYS?  I honestly don't believe it because absolutely NO one would ever pay such an amount in NYS. You can kill monster whitetail bucks in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Texas, etc. for way less, so why would anyone in their right mind pay such an amount in NYS for 20 to 30 lousy acres????

Was in Westchester. 

Thats what they were asking when there is so little land available they can ask anything  just looked now there is 0 property's like that open for lease anymore .

Edited by Hunter007

21 minutes ago, greensider said:

The day I have to pay for land to hunt is the day I stop hunting we have an enormous amount of public land that has monsters on it rarely more than an hour or two from anywhere in the state 

Had a camp in Roscoe NY. Heavy pressured area from downstate. I was up one weekend late in the season. Took a ride down to the state land Saw a truck from PA. In the back was a little 5 pt and a massive 10 point. I asked where did you get the big guy. He looked at me and said where no body wants to go. He said they camped a mile or so so from the road and hunted the rock ledges. Glassing all day long. This is in the Catskills. Deer was beautiful and I wished them continued success!

Edited by First-light
  • Like 4

I believe it. See Bruno’s above response re Long Island. I know someone who pays $5K per year to lease 50 acres in Putnam. Many years they don’t even get a buck.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I believe it. See Bruno’s above response re Long Island. I know someone who pays $5K per year to lease 50 acres in Putnam. Many years they don’t even get a buck.

I would say that this guy is not very smart if he's dumb enough to pay $5k in Putnam county.

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I would say that this guy is not very smart if he's dumb enough to pay $5k in Putnam county.

Say you live in Manhattan and don't want to drive far or hunt public land and you got lots of money those are the guys  getting those leases around here the few there are . 0 in Westchester right now .

It's still way cheaper then buying land to hunt around here cost you millions to buy any significant amount of land in Westchester ny to hunt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Say you live in Manhattan and don't want to drive far or hunt public land and you got lots of money those are the guys  getting those leases around here the few there are . 0 in Westchester right now .

It's still way cheaper then buying land to hunt around here cost you millions to buy any significant amount of land in Westchester ny to hunt.

If I lived in Manhattan and had lots of money and liked to hunt, Putnam or Westchester counties would be the last places on earth i’d be hunting.  My hunting would not be taking place in suburbia if I had that kind of money to spend.

• Like 1

If I lived in Manhattan and had lots of money and liked to hunt, Putnam or Westchester counties would be the last places on earth i’d be hunting.  My hunting would not be taking place in suburbia if I had that kind of money to spend.

I do not know this for sure but I am fairly certain that these guys are ALSO hunting all of those other places on the earth as well. Why do they then need a lease? Why not own it? No idea! But their world is a foreign world to 99% of us...numerous country clubs, numerous houses, numerous house staff members, etc. It is unreal (truly unreal) and at times it makes me scratch my head. Their pocket money is my monthly expenses.
One of my kids is out in the Cape right now with a buddy of one of these families. They have a trainer at the Cape house to work the boys out for football, they will be chartering a boat for a fishing trip since they heard he likes to fish and the hits just keep in coming.
That type of money really exists and it’s not only owned by pretentious mongers who are pricks. They do like what they like and get it but are also quite willing to share.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

When they have time they  probably do hunt other places father away like crappyice says . Thousands of hunters out there  not everyone likes to hunt the same way . To each his own  .   Some guys will buy land some will lease some  prefer public land  some like hunting mountains some like farms some like hardwoods  and others like Suburbia .

8 hours ago, steve863 said:

Wow, usually I’d only see ignorant statements like this in FB! Actually for a dumb guy like me it’s just the cost of doing business not  that I need to explain myself and how we spend our money. I’m not a paying sponsor so out of respect for the site I didn’t wanna mention that I’m an outfitter and believe it or not, most outfitters have to pay for their land

Edited by bruno1
  • Like 5

Wow, usually I’d only see ignorant statements like this in FB! Actually for a dumb guy like me it’s just the cost of doing business not  that I need to explain myself and how we spend our money. I’m not a paying sponsor so out of respect for the site I didn’t wanna mention that I’m an outfitter and believe it or not, most outfitters have to pay for their land

Perfect example Bruno of how others cannot think outside of their thoughts and how (or why)they hunt. If you don’t do it like me then you an idiot.

• Like 5