Hunting Leases - Southern Tier

I would say that this guy is not very smart if he's dumb enough to pay $5k in Putnam county.

It’s not 1 person I believe it’s 4 of them. They are paying for the convenience of not hunting stateland I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

Wow, usually I’d only see ignorant statements like this in FB! Actually for a dumb guy like me it’s just the cost of doing business not  that I need to explain myself and how we spend our money. I’m not a paying sponsor so out of respect for the site I didn’t wanna mention that I’m an outfitter and believe it or not, most outfitters have to pay for their land

Oh what a sensitive soul.  Was I talking about outfitters?  You will obviously recoup the money ( and more ) you spent on a $5K lease.  Anyone else who'd spend $5K on a 50 acre lease in Westchester or Putnam counties I still consider a dumbbell.  I have absolutely NOTHING against leases.  That's what the future of hunting will be and I can accept that.  But for an individual to spend $5K or more on a small lease to hunt suburbia is ridiculous.

If I lived in Manhattan and had lots of money and liked to hunt, Putnam or Westchester counties would be the last places on earth i’d be hunting.  My hunting would not be taking place in suburbia if I had that kind of money to spend.

Westchester or anywhere in NY could be cheaper and better chance at a big buck. Say 4 guys go to Kansas to hunt. $5K each for the hunt and $500 round trip for flight and $500 tip. That’s $6K x 4 guys, so $24K and odds are not all 4 get a buck in a 5-day Hunt . For less than $24K those 4 guys can probably lease a a great piece of land in NY and have better odds over the course of entire season. If you have enough guys, a lease makes perfect sense

• Like 4

Oh what a sensitive soul.  Was I talking about outfitters?  You will obviously recoup the money ( and more ) you spent on a $5K lease.  Anyone else who'd spend $5K on a 50 acre lease in Westchester or Putnam counties I still consider a dumbbell.  I have absolutely NOTHING against leases.  That's what the future of hunting will be and I can accept that.  But for an individual to spend $5K or more on a small lease to hunt suburbia is ridiculous.

$5K divided by 4 people is $1,250.

$1,250 per year is a fraction of a golf membership, or pool membership anywhere in the state. It’s like buying a new bow

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

$5K divided by 4 people is $1,250.

$1,250 per year is a fraction of a golf membership, or pool membership anywhere in the state. It’s like buying a new bow

50 acres in my opinion is too small of a plot to be paying $1,250 each.  The problem here is that this year it will be $1,250 and then next year the landowner will be telling you that he was offered $7K for the parcel, even though he may not have been, and then you will be swindled into paying even more for this dinky plot of land.  Like I said, I have nothing against leases, but I surely won't be paying unreasonable prices for them, either.  You all will be costing yourselves out of hunting anywhere if you pay these type of landowners anything they ask.

Edited by steve863

50 acres in my opinion is too small of a plot to be paying $1,250 each.  The problem here is that this year it will be $1,250 and then next year the landowner will be telling you that he was offered $7K for the parcel, even though he may not have been, and then you will be swindled into paying even more for this dinky plot of land.  Like I said, I have nothing against leases, but I surely won't be paying unreasonable prices for them, either.  You all will be costing yourselves out of hunting anywhere if you pay these type of landowners anything they ask.

Sometimes You only need 1 good acre

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Trust me I’m not a sensitive soul at all. Just don’t like someone calling me dumb when they don’t know what and why we’re spending the money on. I agree though, 5k for a 50 acre piece I couldn’t justify either but that is the way of hunting nowadays. 

The convenience of a lease is definitely worth it to some.  And when you include the cost of purchase and taxes, it may be cheaper than buying land.  This area of the state there is not a heck of a lot of public land.  In the end, its up the hunter and we probably shouldn't be ruining Peter's thread with our thoughts on the subject. 

• Like 1

If you go to a movie it 12 bucks for 2 hours of entertainment,  you sit in a stand for 10 hours a day. So 60 dollars a day if you were at movies you hunt how many days a year? 30?  Your getting 1800 dollars worth of entertainment for less than 1300 if your sharing that property with 3 others for 5k.. it's a pretty good deal ,price sou ds ridiculous at 1st but , taxes, time ,equipment costs to maintain property by owner are not included.. you will most.likely have a better experiance  on private land than public especially if its managed.. I spend between 3 and 5 k a year just managing my own property that I and family and friends enjoy. It's a huge expense for me and honestly I could lease most of it off and enjoy it myself and make $$ but that's not what I enjoy... many take the giving of landowners for granted.. it's a lot of work to maintain acreage to where its accessible and provides what one expects out if it.

• Like 4

If you go to a movie it 12 bucks for 2 hours of entertainment,  you sit in a stand for 10 hours a day. So 60 dollars a day if you were at movies you hunt how many days a year? 30?  Your getting 1800 dollars worth of entertainment for less than 1300 if your sharing that property with 3 others for 5k.. it's a pretty good deal ,price sou ds ridiculous at 1st but , taxes, time ,equipment costs to maintain property by owner are not included.. you will most.likely have a better experiance  on private land than public especially if its managed.. I spend between 3 and 5 k a year just managing my own property that I and family and friends enjoy. It's a huge expense for me and honestly I could lease most of it off and enjoy it myself and make $$ but that's not what I enjoy... many take the giving of landowners for granted.. it's a lot of work to maintain acreage to where its accessible and provides what one expects out if it.

And if you’re anything like Moog you are also watching a movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Forget movie prices with this group, $1,300 seems to be monthly beer allowances!

• Like 1

Just now, crappyice said:

Forget movie prices with this group, $1,300 seems to be monthly beer allowances!

Imagine if they actually worked? It would increase ten-fold- essentially drinking a prime Iowa whitetail lease every year

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

And if you’re anything like Moog you are also watching a movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I vigorously object to this statement - I take hunting VERY seriously - kind of, sort of

And the TV was removed from my blind so .......... I am left with watching things on my phone - while I hunt seriously.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It’s not 1 person I believe it’s 4 of them. They are paying for the convenience of not hunting stateland I guess

That is  common could be  2 or more friends  or family getting together to share the cost  

25e1983611e72cbf3109b16787f2574d.jpg&key=f067bc7a7393445173ef3231c404c9b75fcd2b1779556e99e8203b955c498019

Pretty sure this guys could pay whatever he wants to hunt whenever he wants wherever he wants.....

FYI- i shot an 88- 1st 18 hole round in YEARS. Short game was not helping but putt surprisingly well and got off the tee respectably.

• Like 1

25e1983611e72cbf3109b16787f2574d.jpg&key=f067bc7a7393445173ef3231c404c9b75fcd2b1779556e99e8203b955c498019

Pretty sure this guys could pay whatever he wants to hunt whenever he wants wherever he wants.....
FYI- i shot an 88- 1st 18 hole round in YEARS. Short game was not helping but putt surprisingly well and got off the tee respectably.

No pool? Perfect spot for infinity pool

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

I know of a few different groups of guys that shoot studs off of properties that look like this but I always questioned how hard is it really. I go an invite one day to hunt and I went, needless to say it just wasn’t for me

13 hours ago, crappyice said:

Right away its a man that owns the house?? SMDH.

• Haha 1

just spent somewhere between $1,000 - $1,200 to go to Pittsburgh to watch two Cardinals games and eat out one night . Flying to St. Louis in Sept to watch 3 games , staying an extra day or two, figure  $3,000 .

5K is only two or three weeks pay for many folks .

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Nomad said:

just spent somewhere between $1,000 - $1,200 to go to Pittsburgh to watch two Cardinals games and eat out one night . Flying to St. Louis in Sept to watch 3 games , staying an extra day or two, figure  $3,000 .

5K is only two or three weeks pay for many folks .

Rich retirees.