Shotgun Dilemma

Chef

So what would you guys do, my company offers a pheasant hunting trip to high volume customers every year. We are a multi billion dollar company and this is offered to out top 20 or so clients. This year one of my clients was asked to come on the trip. The owner and his number 2 will be attending . The trip is in Michigan. The issue is you have to bring your own gun as the company will not provide them. My clients do not own shotguns but really want to attend. Does anyone have any ideas for me to buy some inexpensive shotguns for them to use? Any good places in SE NY to buy a used shotgun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Chef said:

So what would you guys do, my company offers a pheasant hunting trip to high volume customers every year. We are a multi billion dollar company and this is offered to out top 20 or so clients. This year one of my clients was asked to come on the trip. The owner and his number 2 will be attending . The trip is in Michigan. The issue is you have to bring your own gun as the company will not provide them. My clients do not own shotguns but really want to attend. Does anyone have any ideas for me to buy some inexpensive shotguns for them to use? Any good places in SE NY to buy a used shotgun?

See if you can borrow two from friends.   

• Like 3

Obvious this would be at a reputable outfitted place, almost any outfit worth its salt can supply guns often pro-bono or at reasonable price. Call them see what they can do.

I know Orvis endorsed places like Sandanona here in SE NY can offer rentals for use at their facility.

I attended a sponsored hunt in N. Dakota and most of the attendees (around 2 dozen) did not have their own shotguns, and just payed for ammo. (best bird dogs I have ever seen worked that hunt)

• Like 3

I'm sure I'm over reacting but these people that don't own a shotgun (as opposed to not wanting to pack one for traveling) makes me pause.........are they versed in safe gun handling enough to walk among others and sometimes more importantly dogs with a loaded gun? 

• Like 2

I'm sure I'm over reacting but these people that don't own a shotgun (as opposed to not wanting to pack one for traveling) makes me pause.........are they versed in safe gun handling enough to walk among others and sometimes more importantly dogs with a loaded gun? 

Yes they are, one of them moved to NYC and found it was just easier to sell his guns than deal with the city. The other grew up in a hunting family and didn’t continue the tradition as a adult but does know how to shoot. We will also do some shooting at my camp together a few weeks prior

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I’ll call the preserve but I believe it is more of a private club that we rent out and I don’t believe rentals are an option

Gotcha....

Suggested rental route as it also avoids the travel situation. Its not that big of a deal and flying domestic on most airlines is a not that bad, but still easier without for this situation. Your going to need a sturdy flight case too. Nice to rent there if possible.

In New Paltz just up the T-way, Mid Hudson offers a clays instruction/ammo/gun rental/50 clays package; might give them a refresher in field type situation with hunting birds.

Personally I'd think I'd buy 2 Remington 870's which can be has for less then $300 in 12 ga and it will be easy to sell them after.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

It's probably the most danger you will ever be in , bird hunting with people who don't even own guns ,this all sounds very dick Cheney like

I've hunted several times with guys who have never even killed anything and felt WAY better then someone who knew it all and was sloppy from a lifetime of bad habits. They listened to instruction and did just what they should have. Even lent one of them my rifle in the field for one guys first ever animal (perfect bang flop on a tough brush shot at 100 yds)

Two sides to every coin.

• Like 1

Gotcha....
Suggested rental route as it also avoids the travel situation. Its not that big of a deal and flying domestic on most airlines is a not that bad, but still easier without for this situation. Your going to need a sturdy flight case too. Nice to rent there if possible.
In New Paltz just up the T-way, Mid Hudson offers a clays instruction/ammo/gun rental/50 clays package; might give them a refresher in field type situation with hunting birds.
Personally I'd think I'd buy 2 Remington 870's which can be has for less then $300 in 12 ga and it will be easy to sell them after.

I like the 870 idea

7 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Piece of cake many times. For hunting trips

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

+1

Only thing different at NY area airports is Port Authority police have on site jurisdiction and they do a check and write down serial number and look at some ID before the gun case goes to TSA. Sometimes that can add a little time at check in waiting for them to show up. I would guess longest wait was about 1/2 hour as they had a call in another terminal at JFK and they were short  staffed. Any other airport you just check in and TSA does their thing.

• Like 1