Need to Channel my inner Turkeyfeathers today

moog5050

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Playing my one annual round of golf.   Not sure how a game I really enjoyed previously became such a chore.  Thank God its only a scramble.  Any tips TF?  My primary plan is to rely on my 3 partners who are all still avid golfers.

Big boys gotta hit the long ball.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Playing my one annual round of golf.   Not sure how a game I really enjoyed previously became such a chore.  Thank God its only a scramble.  Any tips TF?  My primary plan is to rely on my 3 partners who are all still avid golfers.

Putt for dough! Get there early and practice putts. You can make up a bunch of strokes on the putting green. 

• Like 1

I play golf with my neighbor. We go out, laugh at eachother...drink some beer...neither her or I take it seriously at all and its a pretty good time. I never cared for golf until I played with someone just as terrible and unserious about it as I am. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Big boys gotta hit the long ball.

My experience is that raw strength has very little to do with hitting a long ball.  Or perhaps I get very weak once I hit the course. 

I literally need two extra clubs nowadays compared to when I played frequently.  I did take one swing when loading my clubs.  Didn't feel so smooth - a little tight to say the least.  lol

2 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I play golf with my neighbor. We go out, laugh at eachother...drink some beer...neither her or I take it seriously at all and its a pretty good time. I never cared for golf until I played with someone just as terrible and unserious about it as I am. 

You see that i could do, but to actually take it serious, nah, not my cup of tea.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My experience is that raw strength has very little to do with hitting a long ball.  Or perhaps I get very weak once I hit the course. 

I literally need two extra clubs nowadays compared to when I played frequently.  I did take one swing when loading my clubs.  Didn't feel so smooth - a little tight to say the least.  lol

You probably just need a little spray of WD-40 in your armpits and behind the knees to loosen up!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Will that result in a bad reaction my Women's Secret deodorant?

I'd be more concerned about the USGA testing your blood post-round and you get DQ'd for Deer Antler Velvet in your blood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

when i don't play often my biggest help is making sure my back hand keeps up with the front. you can have the ball that travels the furthest but if it's not straight toward the pin then it doesn't matter.

your short game should be totally fine. your office has or should have a practice putting strip of fake turf. only reason i see not to is replacing it with a target in the corner to work on blank bale and form.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Moog stick to your strengths!  Golfers get shaken when you play a little defense.  Blindside a couple of people before they drive and i guarantee that their game suffers.  

there is also the alcohol route.  Drunk by the turn and then no one cares!  

or you can tell them you hate losing and tip over a golf cart.   Thats at least a +22 handicap in your favor. 

• Haha 2

I find it enjoyable smacking that little white ball all over the place. Avoiding other people's little white balls, that are not even playing with us, while they all yell bad words and curses. Trying to smile at the long line of angry looking people, that seem to just gather behind me, to watch me hit those wicked wormburners into the other fairway! Sometimes after awhile, I do drop that little white ball in the cup! Of course after trying many different putting angles, as that little white ball usually just shoots right on past that little cup!

I watch golf on TV. And I tip my hat and wave at all the angry people I encounter on the links, just like the pro's!!  Cause I really do have a GREAT time playing golf!!

• Haha 1

Rely on muscle memory, don’t overthink think things and let it come back naturally. Only things to think about , posture( sitting on a barstool, weight in balls of feet  , loose left hand , right hand is a free ride , smooth tempo    Other than that , it’s a scramble , enjoy it , you’ll contribute and other teams will cheat.  Look forward to seeing how it went 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Well we ended 15 under and I drove a short par 4 for an eagle so I contributed a bit.  Couple birdie puts and drives.  Irons were not really my friend.   Fun day. 

I will take the clubs out again next year.  

Great scramble score ! You shoot a recurve which is like golf. Muscle memory. Knew you’d fair ok 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Great scramble score ! You shoot a recurve which is like golf. Muscle memory. Knew you’d fair ok 

Not bad.   We were only 7 or 8 under last year.  Wasn’t consistent but hit some good balls.   I think we ended in second. One team posted 18 under.   Didn’t stay for the dinner.  But I am good until next year.  Lol

• Like 2

I just got back into golf this year. Been out 5 times so far. It’s fun and relaxing to me. I’m not very good but we have a few beers and some laughs. Once and awhile I’ll get a good drive off the tee lol. Been better on the irons and green than driving this year.

Glad ya had a good time and you guys ended up with a decent score!

I’m supposed to be playing a 4 man team scramble in a few weeks, looking forward to that!

• Like 1