Late season plot

I have this area on the lease that was a crp field and Tacks and I were talking last year about putting in a late season plot in this area. The problem was we weren’t sure if a tractor/mower could cross the bridge to get to it . Have a friend who checked it out for himself and the plan was in place . It’s now brush hogged and sprayed. Disking it next week 

B328903D-EE5F-4A6B-99F9-9B79D7E36C9C.jpeg

887EAD6F-3786-4E92-B9ED-2E5F826971DB.jpeg

EAF5EC23-4A4E-4133-8D73-9D02EB2C4578.jpeg

A8CF6FDE-A63C-48E1-A7AC-C09162639C46.jpeg

• Like 5

I gotta be honest I’m not exactly sure. The buddy that is disking it for me said he knows a local guy that makes his own seed mixture. He has used it for years and does well. I think it’s a combination of brassica and clover maybe turnips. I’m a novice to all this so just winging it and learn as I go 

Was picking up a clevis twist hitch for my disc today at TSC, they have all sorts of plot bags there.  So like sodfather I'm a novice at this, my question would be to you guys with experience:. Is there any reason, really, to getting a couple bags of whitetail institute vs buy the same seed from my local feed supplier?  I know they say it's genetically engineered to taste great to whitetails, but in the end is that really going to make a difference?

Sod does your buddy mix from a local feed store, or combine the bag stuff?

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

27 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Was picking up a clevis twist hitch for my disc today at TSC, they have all sorts of plot bags there.  So like sodfather I'm a novice at this, my question would be to you guys with experience:. Is there any reason, really, to getting a couple bags of whitetail institute vs buy the same seed from my local feed supplier?  I know they say it's genetically engineered to taste great to whitetails, but in the end is that really going to make a difference?

I don’t know what he does or how he mixes it. I will ask more questions when I see him next week.  For what it’s worth guys on other sites told me the bag mossy oak waterfowl blend was junk. So I got a bag of that and a couple bags  of other grasses from a feed store and the Mossy Oak bag stuff is doing well but to early to really compare it to the feed store seed.

35 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yes, in years past I’ve had better success with whitetail institute and frigid forage products  buying from my local seed stores. Same fields same process just better results as far as plot production. I’m a fan of frigid forage for fall plantings. Autumn quick plot is something that could be thrown down late August and get good results. Just my opinion and 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

WI clover is second to none, my buddy yrs ago planted it next to regular clover and it was night a day difference on deer preferring WI. I've always had great success with all their seed blends.

• 2 weeks later...