My 2019 plots

I’ve been working on my plots quite a bit this year. I expanded them a bit, so I’m up to just about 2 acres planted. The clover plot has been a bit of a struggle, as it’s loaded with weeds. I’d really like to get ahold of some Kleth for it. Maybe next year. The big plot is all planted and I’m in the process of installing an electric fence to keep it from being cleaned out before the season starts again. I put A mix of Daikon Radish, Purple Top Turnips, Rape and a Ted and white clover mix in it this year. 

C8D668FB-A113-48A7-B6A0-6E6158A89022.jpeg

2CC5D3DD-1AEA-4305-B6EC-A9F2C4188978.jpeg

447CA105-AF41-4BC4-845B-3083004DC296.jpeg

30F2B662-F316-40B8-833F-89CC426DE2FF.jpeg

BEEFF135-989F-4653-B47A-60C12FEA4C87.jpeg

408C948D-D824-44D6-B6B4-A65473FD90F3.jpeg

• Like 12

On 8/4/2019 at 1:17 PM, zag said:

What a rough cost on a portable fence?

For everything, it ran me about $500 to fence in close to an acre and a half total. I bought a more powerful controller than I really needed, its a 2.8 joule model. From everything I read, 1 joule is recommended for deer.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, G-Man said:

Looks good I just plant bigger plots as deer eat everything can imagine fencing off a plot

Last year my plots were down to the dirt by mid september. I dont have much room to expand them any more than they are now, so I have to do what I have to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J sin said:

I’m jealous at how few rocks I see in those pics. Looks great! I had good success with the fence in the past. Only issue was the dam turkeys charged straight through it and broke the wire. 

Alot of rock picking happened last year and this year. Every pass with the tiller brings more up lol. They are there, just hard to see.

22 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

For everything, it ran me about $500 to fence in close to an acre and a half total. I bought a more powerful controller than I really needed, its a 2.8 joule model. From everything I read, 1 joule is recommended for deer.

Did you consider this stuff?  I heard it works but never tried it.

https://www.plotsaver.com/

Maybe in the long run, an electric fence is a better option.

23 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I know someone that used it and has pics of deer just going right under it. Im not taking chances this year and I dont mind the price, as Ill be able to use it year after year.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I know someone that used it and has pics of deer just going right under it. Im not taking chances this year and I dont mind the price, as Ill be able to use it year after year.

Well that's not much of a testimonial.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I tried the plot saver ribbon my first year ever planting soybeans, it helped but it just isn’t as effective as the electric fence. Just under 600 to close off a full acre.