My 2019 plots

6 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

That tilller sure does a nice job. Having the Kioti ahead of it is an added bonus. Hows the tractor working out?

Yeah I love the tiller so far. Its a Howse, and its fully adjustable side to side by just loosening a few bolts. I have one issue to work out with it though, theres a slip collar on the main shaft that butts up to the gear box and keeps the shaft in place. The bolts that hold it to the shaft (kinda like set screws) have come loose when going through unbroken ground, and the shaft slips out of the drive on the end. I think a little loctite on those screws should take care of that.

The tractor has been flawless so far. I have one more plot to go over with the tiller and trails to mow, and then I have to do an oil change and whatnot to it. One of the best things Ive ever spent money on actually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yeah I love the tiller so far. Its a Howse, and its fully adjustable side to side by just loosening a few bolts. I have one issue to work out with it though, theres a slip collar on the main shaft that butts up to the gear box and keeps the shaft in place. The bolts that hold it to the shaft (kinda like set screws) have come loose when going through unbroken ground, and the shaft slips out of the drive on the end. I think a little loctite on those screws should take care of that.

The tractor has been flawless so far. I have one more plot to go over with the tiller and trails to mow, and then I have to do an oil change and whatnot to it. One of the best things Ive ever spent money on actually.

Try installing some thinner than standard nuts on the set screws. Tighten the set screws, then reef the nuts down. It may be all you need to keep tight.  LOL, I always say try the rest, then move over to best, Kioti.

I should have never sold my last DK 40 I had in stock. That 4 cylinder engine purred like a kitten. I never find another new one for 12 grand.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the plot on Sunday, and it is doing great. I forgot to bring my phone with me to take pics though. The brassicas are already tall enough to where they are covering parts of the bottom electric fence string. Im keeping an eye on the fence and how its working with the vegetation on it, but the controller I bought specifically said that it has plenty of power to be able to handle weeds and vegetation on the strands. I have had 3 sets of pics with deer inside the fence so far, but thats it. When I checked the plot on Sunday, I found a section of the outside strand on the ground. It looked like a deer had gotten tangled up in it and pulled it down, breaking the clips on 2 of the posts. I raised the whole outer strand up about 6 more inches. Hopefully that works fine. The fence is doing a good ob though, all of the plants outside of it have been browsed pretty heavily. I have some cams to get setup and shooting lanes to cut this weekend, so ill snap a few pics when Im back there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I checked the plot on Sunday, and it is doing great. I forgot to bring my phone with me to take pics though. The brassicas are already tall enough to where they are covering parts of the bottom electric fence string. Im keeping an eye on the fence and how its working with the vegetation on it, but the controller I bought specifically said that it has plenty of power to be able to handle weeds and vegetation on the strands. I have had 3 sets of pics with deer inside the fence so far, but thats it. When I checked the plot on Sunday, I found a section of the outside strand on the ground. It looked like a deer had gotten tangled up in it and pulled it down, breaking the clips on 2 of the posts. I raised the whole outer strand up about 6 more inches. Hopefully that works fine. The fence is doing a good ob though, all of the plants outside of it have been browsed pretty heavily. I have some cams to get setup and shooting lanes to cut this weekend, so ill snap a few pics when Im back there.

John

I am interested in doing a similar fence.  If you get a chance, PM or text me the materials list.  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

John

I am interested in doing a similar fence.  If you get a chance, PM or text me the materials list.  Thanks!

Its pretty simple, you want a controller that runs 1 Joule or more, I used a Gallagher B280, which has 2.8 joules of output (if you touch this fence, its not a fun experience lol). Next, youll need step in posts (spaced every 20 feet or so), electric fence ribbon, a grounding post set, a deep cycle battery and a solar panel for keeping it charged. My whole setup cost @ $500 and I have a whole spool of ribbon left over for fixing breaks, etc.

• Like 1

Well, raising the outer strand of the fence is not working well. The deer have figured out that they can get under it, and then jump the inner fence from in between. Ive been getting a ton of pics all morning of them doing it. Ill have to go down there tonight after work and drop that strand down a bit.

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Well, raising the outer strand of the fence is not working well. The deer have figured out that they can get under it, and then jump the inner fence from in between. Ive been getting a ton of pics all morning of them doing it. Ill have to go down there tonight after work and drop that strand down a bit.

Keep us posted.  I would like to grow beans early so that they will fully develop but no way to do so without something that works to keep the deer out.  Good luck.

I walk a different path. I don't fence my beans. I try to keep the deer fat and happy all summer. Help the Doe's with milk production and keep them coming, so they are used to the free meal and comfortable there. It just so happens that they bring along a few bucks with them too. I still have beans that develop pods. I plant enough to keep them coming.

2 minutes ago, DDT said:

I walk a different path. I don't fence my beans. I try to keep the deer fat and happy all summer. Help the Doe's with milk production and keep them coming, so they are used to the free meal and comfortable there. It just so happens that they bring along a few bucks with them too. I still have beans that develop pods. I plant enough to keep them coming.

How much are you planting?  In a high density area, 1 acre of beans can be wiped out quick!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks.  I would think deer could easily jump that.  I guess the idea is that they are also visually deterred.

They could jump it.  The 2 layers give them trouble because they lack the depth perception to gauge the space between the outer and inner fence.  I had decent success with a setup like this, although my 2 fences were a bit closer together.  

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

How much are you planting?  In a high density area, 1 acre of beans can be wiped out quick!

I have about 2 acres total of beans and 3/4 + acre of corn. It's in Steuben County, have a pretty good population. A joining neighbor also has corn and beans about the same amount. We have a couple woods plots of WI no plow, a couple acres of clover and a acre of brassicas (turnips, radishes and greens). I try to keep them fed year round. Also water, a pond is between the plots. Heck I'd like to live there.

Do you get pods with such a late planting of soybeans?  The fence system looks great but I’m not sure I understand the decision to plant beans in August and then fence them in unless they are a super fast maturing group that can actually throw pod in the month or two before the start to yellow out.   

Most of the guys I know who plant soybeans either plant them in late May/early June for summer forage and pods in the winter, or they plant them in a fall blend around the time you planted yours and use the sprouting beans as a way to draw deer to the plot until the grains and brassicas can get established.   

I planted some laredo forage beans back in May on a little over an acre and just kept applying milorganite until they could handle the browse pressure- they’re still producing leafy forage but are definitely on the decline at this point- don’t think they’ll make it to the season opener- then again the temps in the Catskills are already dipping into the 30’s at night.  

I would think your exact set up with some real world or eagle pod haven beans (or just plain ok ag beans) planted in late spring early summer would be the way to go.  After about 6 weeks you should have close to a closed canopy and can let the deer forage on the leaves throughout the months of August and September and still get pods to hunt over later in the season.  

If what you’re doing now works then def keep doing it, but it seems like a lot of work to open up the bean fields right around the time they stop producing forage and before they have a chance to put on beans for the winter. 

Would love to know more about how these August planted beans fit into your hunting/management plan.  Thanks!  

Haha never mind- I read the op again and saw  this wasn’t a soybean plot!  

That’s a really nice plot.   I thought I read it was soybeans or I saw the pics of the fence and assumed it was beans.    

Depending on how thick the brassicas are seeded, you might not get much forage out of the clover this year but it’ll still be growing and developing  a strong root system  and next spring it will jump out of the dirt.   

Might not work with your herbicide regimen, but you could try mixing in a small amount of cereal rye this fall- not a huge amount 25-30lbs an acre should  do it.   It will keep producing green forage most of the winter, but where it’ll really shine is next spring.   Since all the brassicas will be gone and the clover will just be getting established, there will prolly be a lot of bare dirt early on, but if you add some rye now it’ll provide early spring forage and the perfect cover for your clover plus itll help suppress weed growth during spring green up- as if that’s not enough,  it will also capture all those nutrients the decomposing brassicas will be releasing.    By mid-late April the clover should be filled in completely and you can just mow down the rye and leave the thatch as green manure.   

Couldn’t use the cleth with it, but with fall seeded rye, brassicas, and clover you might find you don’t need any herbicides next spring and that one or two mowings is enough to keep it weed free.   

On 9/5/2019 at 11:28 AM, DDT said:

That’s what I always Used to do. Bought this land last year and put in the plots. The deer had it wiped out by mid September. Like down to the dirt, and things slowed down a lot during the season. I have no ag around me except for a couple of hay lots with the closest being almost a mile away. All of the neighbors that have tried plots in this area have given up on them because they are always wiped out before the season starts. 

11 hours ago, Putnamcounty Bowhunter said:

Do you get pods with such a late planting of soybeans?  The fence system looks great but I’m not sure I understand the decision to plant beans in August and then fence them in unless they are a super fast maturing group that can actually throw pod in the month or two before the start to yellow out.   

Most of the guys I know who plant soybeans either plant them in late May/early June for summer forage and pods in the winter, or they plant them in a fall blend around the time you planted yours and use the sprouting beans as a way to draw deer to the plot until the grains and brassicas can get established.   

I planted some laredo forage beans back in May on a little over an acre and just kept applying milorganite until they could handle the browse pressure- they’re still producing leafy forage but are definitely on the decline at this point- don’t think they’ll make it to the season opener- then again the temps in the Catskills are already dipping into the 30’s at night.  

I would think your exact set up with some real world or eagle pod haven beans (or just plain ok ag beans) planted in late spring early summer would be the way to go.  After about 6 weeks you should have close to a closed canopy and can let the deer forage on the leaves throughout the months of August and September and still get pods to hunt over later in the season.  

If what you’re doing now works then def keep doing it, but it seems like a lot of work to open up the bean fields right around the time they stop producing forage and before they have a chance to put on beans for the winter. 

Would love to know more about how these August planted beans fit into your hunting/management plan.  Thanks!  

I dont Plant beans. It’s purple top turnips, rape, ground hog radish, and red and white clover. In the spring I am going to put it in buckwheat and oats to help with Nitrogen for the fall, keep the weeds down, and give the deer and turkeys something for the summer. 

I have a clover plot not far far from this one that I started With clover and winter rye. It’s a process that works great. 

If the rain hold off, I am going to mix a little bit of soybeans in with the winter wheat and white clover that I will plant tomorrow.   I know of nothing that is more attractive to deer than young, green, sprouting soybeans.  They will probably walk past white oak acorns to get them.  If we get a late frost, that might be "dynamite" after October 1.    I don't care about "pods", and neither do the deer, from what I have observed.   The only time they really hit the soybeans hard are when they are young and green, way before the pods start to form.  Why not time that to when you can actually kill them ?