My 2019 plots

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

That’s what I always Used to do. Bought this land last year and put in the plots. The deer had it wiped out by mid September. Like down to the dirt, and things slowed down a lot during the season. I have no ag around me except for a couple of hay lots with the closest being almost a mile away. All of the neighbors that have tried plots in this area have given up on them because they are always wiped out before the season starts. 

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat just different hill sides. Plots looking good, did you do a soil test? If so how'd the pH look. Our pH was pretty low and will take a bit of time to bring it to health. Our brassicas (not a large amount seeded) is much smaller in size.

PH was 4.3 on a new winding plot I put in this year. I was set on liming and planting only rye but I got a great deal on radishes so I figured why not? Two weeks later this is what I ended up with WOW was I suprised. I did spray Plot Max but not much else. I'm posting so anyone with really low ph doesn't get discouraged and either doesn't plant anything or only plants rye or wheat. This is also a no till plot I just dragged a tractor tire behind my ATV. My puppy decided to do wind sprints up and down the middle of the plot which seems to have hurt the radishes more then the ph.

Screenshot_2019-09-07-20-55-15.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zag said:

Sounds like we're in the exact same boat just different hill sides. Plots looking good, did you do a soil test? If so how'd the pH look. Our pH was pretty low and will take a bit of time to bring it to health. Our brassicas (not a large amount seeded) is much smaller in size.

I didnt Have time to this year. I suspect my ph is a bit low, but I’ve been dumping my fireplace ash back there, so that may be helping a bit. Next year I’m going to test the soil to see if lime will help more. 

6 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I didnt Have time to this year. I suspect my ph is a bit low, but I’ve been dumping my fireplace ash back there, so that may be helping a bit. Next year I’m going to test the soil to see if lime will help more. 

Ashes help for sure, our plot was I think 5.4 or 5.6 and your's is looking real good. I'd bet you're isn't far off from normal pH. Keep is posted on the progress!

• Like 1

Saw a couple posts where people are having their plots wiped out before or just after the start of hunting season-  for anyone in that boat, there is a simple and effective remedy that will salvage the plots for hunting season and beyond:

if the plots get wiped out early enough in September, plant 50lbs oats and/or winter wheat and 50lbs of cereal rye to the acre.    Also doesn’t hurt to mix in 5-10lbs of red clover and maybe even a few pounds of a fast growing rape/turnip hybrid- the grains will start producing forage with a couple of days and can handle browse pressure like no other- grasses grow from the bottom up so as long as the roots are intact and it’s above freezing, you’ll get decent regrowth.  

If your plots get wiped out in late September thru mid October, just plant 100lbs of cereal rye to the acre... you can also go back top seed cereal rye if you replanted in September and still have some bare spots to fill in.  

Rye will germinate with soil temps as low as 33f, which for most parts of NY means you can produce decent forage with rye that’s planted as late as mid-late October or even early November in milder years.   To give these late planted grains a boost right when it’s needed the most, I top dress with 50-75lbs of 46-0-0/acre in late September/early October when the grain is about 4-6” tall.   It produces a nice flush of growth right at the start of the hunting season and increases the protein content of the wheat/oats/rye, making it highly palatable to deer.  

I incorporate cereal grains in every plot I plant and am convinced it’s been the game changer  for me.  I even throw down 25lbs of oats to the acre in my May planted soybean plots- they jump out of the ground and take much of the early browse pressure that would kill soybean seedlings- I am convinced it’s why I’ve been able to plant smaller soybean plots that don’t get wiped out in areas of high deer density without any fencing.  It prevents me from using a lot of common herbicides but so far weeds haven’t been a major problem.   I also top dress with 50lbs of milorganite at planting and a second time 2-3 weeks later.  Doesn’t eliminate browse pressure but keeps enough deer off the beans to give them a chance.   I also seed about 20-30% above recommended levels for beans to ensure that I get a decent stand because some seedlings will get killed by browsing early on no matter what.   

Ive got a 1.5 acre bean plot that is still producing forage despite almost nonstop browsing since mid July.  Over 3000 trail cam pics a month in that plot.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Putnamcounty Bowhunter said:

Saw a couple posts where people are having their plots wiped out before or just after the start of hunting season-  for anyone in that boat, there is a simple and effective remedy that will salvage the plots for hunting season and beyond:

if the plots get wiped out early enough in September, plant 50lbs oats and/or winter wheat and 50lbs of cereal rye to the acre.    Also doesn’t hurt to mix in 5-10lbs of red clover and maybe even a few pounds of a fast growing rape/turnip hybrid- the grains will start producing forage with a couple of days and can handle browse pressure like no other- grasses grow from the bottom up so as long as the roots are intact and it’s above freezing, you’ll get decent regrowth.  

If your plots get wiped out in late September thru mid October, just plant 100lbs of cereal rye to the acre... you can also go back top seed cereal rye if you replanted in September and still have some bare spots to fill in.  

Rye will germinate with soil temps as low as 33f, which for most parts of NY means you can produce decent forage with rye that’s planted as late as mid-late October or even early November in milder years.   To give these late planted grains a boost right when it’s needed the most, I top dress with 50-75lbs of 46-0-0/acre in late September/early October when the grain is about 4-6” tall.   It produces a nice flush of growth right at the start of the hunting season and increases the protein content of the wheat/oats/rye, making it highly palatable to deer.  

I incorporate cereal grains in every plot I plant and am convinced it’s been the game changer  for me.  I even throw down 25lbs of oats to the acre in my May planted soybean plots- they jump out of the ground and take much of the early browse pressure that would kill soybean seedlings- I am convinced it’s why I’ve been able to plant smaller soybean plots that don’t get wiped out in areas of high deer density without any fencing.  It prevents me from using a lot of common herbicides but so far weeds haven’t been a major problem.   I also top dress with 50lbs of milorganite at planting and a second time 2-3 weeks later.  Doesn’t eliminate browse pressure but keeps enough deer off the beans to give them a chance.   I also seed about 20-30% above recommended levels for beans to ensure that I get a decent stand because some seedlings will get killed by browsing early on no matter what.   

Ive got a 1.5 acre bean plot that is still producing forage despite almost nonstop browsing since mid July.  Over 3000 trail cam pics a month in that plot.  

They wiped out the winter rye in my rye/clover plot as well. Im telling you, the deer in my area are like vacuum cleaners. Ive planted alot of food plots over the years using alot of mixes, and in areas that are considered high population, and have never had anything happen like I saw last year. I had pictures of 20+ deer in the plot at a time. It was about 1 acre in size last year. Day and night they would be in there, it was crazy. Im hoping that happens again this year, but during the season, thanks to the fence.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Putnamcounty Bowhunter said:

What brand cereal rye are you buying?

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

got it. because online i notice it's mostly rye grass (not cereal rye)

Yeah theres a difference. This is what you want. The price isnt bad, but shipping is probably going to kill you. If you have a semi-local feed and seed or agway around, I would go there.

https://www.deercreekseed.com/winter-rye

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yeah theres a difference. This is what you want. The price isnt bad, but shipping is probably going to kill you. If you have a semi-local feed and seed or agway around, I would go there.

https://www.deercreekseed.com/winter-rye

$90 for two bags shipped.  Where do you buy John?  The agways I called around here don't carry cereal rye.

Wheat costs $ 8.00 for a 50 pound bag at Rinehart's in Middleport and is significantly more attractive to deer than cerial rye.   With some difficulty (broke and "farmer fixed" a drag and wrecked a cheap broadcast seeder), I was able to get a couple acres planted last night, finishing up just before 9:00 pm.  September 10 is the earliest date recommended for planting winter wheat in NY, to reduce Hessian fly damage.    That wheat was seeded light at 30 pounds per acre, but I also broadcast 20 pounds per acre of soybeans and 5 pounds per acre of white clover.   Normally, I cultipack after spreading the wheat and soybeans, then again after the clover, but I seeded all prior to cultipacking just once last night to save some time.   Cultipacking by moonlight with no lights on tractor was not overly difficult.  If I had more daylight available, I would have done it twice, because I have always had great germination results on the clover and the wheat and beans when doing it that way.   

I am a little worried that the clover seed might have got pushed in a little too deep, but I won't find out about that until spring.   Frost-seeding another 5 pounds/acre into the wheat then might be a good idea.  Big rain (about 3/4 inch) that came in after midnight should get all that was planted going now.   I spread 50 pounds/acre of triple 15 fertilizer (leftover from no corn planting this spring) prior to last pass with disk on those plots yesterday afternoon.  That should give the wheat a boost.  The small areas of purple-top turnips that I planted at the end of both plots in late July are over a foot tall now and I hit them with a bit more fertilizer last night before the rain.  The deer by me never touch them until the first hard frost.              

I called the local feed store last night, they don't have any winter wheat, so I think I'll do rye mixed with oats.  Hoping to get it done tomorrow, before the rain on Saturday.

As I recall it was 30$ for a 50# bag of rye, a little more for the oats.  Plus I have to add phosphate and quick acting lime.  Be around 100$ when I walk out of there