Recommended Posts

I’ve been working on my plots quite a bit this year. I expanded them a bit, so I’m up to just about 2 acres planted. The clover plot has been a bit of a struggle, as it’s loaded with weeds. I’d really like to get ahold of some Kleth for it. Maybe next year. The big plot is all planted and I’m in the process of installing an electric fence to keep it from being cleaned out before the season starts again. I put A mix of Daikon Radish, Purple Top Turnips, Rape and a Ted and white clover mix in it this year. 

C8D668FB-A113-48A7-B6A0-6E6158A89022.jpeg

2CC5D3DD-1AEA-4305-B6EC-A9F2C4188978.jpeg

447CA105-AF41-4BC4-845B-3083004DC296.jpeg

30F2B662-F316-40B8-833F-89CC426DE2FF.jpeg

BEEFF135-989F-4653-B47A-60C12FEA4C87.jpeg

408C948D-D824-44D6-B6B4-A65473FD90F3.jpeg

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a rough cost on a portable fence?


Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Looks good Sir .. The fence works wonders. I bought one that ran off D size batteries for 140$ and covered about an acre. It worked great at keeping deer out. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we get come rain.  Since we planted over a week ago, only one day with rain.  Not good!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good I just plant bigger plots as deer eat everything can imagine fencing off a plot


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a sweet setup. When do you take electric fence down- mid September?

  • Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m jealous at how few rocks I see in those pics. Looks great! I had good success with the fence in the past. Only issue was the dam turkeys charged straight through it and broke the wire. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn-- pics look good. If, I had money, I would get a food plot going on my piece of Heaven Land.-- A Dollar And A Dream.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, old man river said:

Damn-- pics look good. If, I had money, I would get a food plot going on my piece of Heaven Land.-- A Dollar And A Dream.

Join Qdma. $9 soybeans. The deer are enjoying mine.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 1:17 PM, zag said:

What a rough cost on a portable fence?

For everything, it ran me about $500 to fence in close to an acre and a half total. I bought a more powerful controller than I really needed, its a 2.8 joule model. From everything I read, 1 joule is recommended for deer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 9:53 AM, moog5050 said:

I hope we get come rain.  Since we planted over a week ago, only one day with rain.  Not good!

I have a ton of moisture in the soil down there. Getting rain for the next 3 days though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, G-Man said:

Looks good I just plant bigger plots as deer eat everything can imagine fencing off a plot

Last year my plots were down to the dirt by mid september. I dont have much room to expand them any more than they are now, so I have to do what I have to do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 11:51 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Looks like a sweet setup. When do you take electric fence down- mid September?

Ill take it down a week before season starts. Im sure they will be in there immediately. Last year I had pics of 20-30 deer in that plot at a time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J sin said:

I’m jealous at how few rocks I see in those pics. Looks great! I had good success with the fence in the past. Only issue was the dam turkeys charged straight through it and broke the wire. 

Alot of rock picking happened last year and this year. Every pass with the tiller brings more up lol. They are there, just hard to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

For everything, it ran me about $500 to fence in close to an acre and a half total. I bought a more powerful controller than I really needed, its a 2.8 joule model. From everything I read, 1 joule is recommended for deer.

Did you consider this stuff?  I heard it works but never tried it.

https://www.plotsaver.com/

Maybe in the long run, an electric fence is a better option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Did you consider this stuff?  I heard it works but never tried it.

https://www.plotsaver.com/

Maybe in the long run, an electric fence is a better option.

I know someone that used it and has pics of deer just going right under it. Im not taking chances this year and I dont mind the price, as Ill be able to use it year after year.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I know someone that used it and has pics of deer just going right under it. Im not taking chances this year and I dont mind the price, as Ill be able to use it year after year.

Well that's not much of a testimonial.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Did you consider this stuff?  I heard it works but never tried it.

https://www.plotsaver.com/

Maybe in the long run, an electric fence is a better option.

I tried the plot saver ribbon my first year ever planting soybeans, it helped but it just isn’t as effective as the electric fence. Just under 600 to close off a full acre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Did you consider this stuff?  I heard it works but never tried it.

https://www.plotsaver.com/

Maybe in the long run, an electric fence is a better option.

My buddy used it on his beans last year, kept every deer out, this year, that story has changed big time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

planted yesterday and rain hit a few hrs later so i think my timing was good just have to plant oats very end of august ,1st september

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havent Been down to the plot but something triggered my cam this morning. Probably a bird. Plot is looking great though!

DA8B58B2-F884-4B4A-B846-4CC592DCB45E.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sweet setup

  • Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.