Garmin in reach

Buckmaster7600

14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Anyone have one of these? Seems like a pretty good idea for me hunting alone all the time. The ability to text home once in a while would be a nice bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used it but heard good things. I've used "SPOT" when hunting remotely in canada. Send a signal once or twice that says i'm alive and ok.

32 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Anyone have one of these? Seems like a pretty good idea for me hunting alone all the time. The ability to text home once in a while would be a nice bonus.

the way you travel through the Dacks for miles - its a great idea! Just for piece of mind for you and the family.  

Went on a hike in to a trout lake with some buddies in the dacks.  One guy gets us all together for a group photo, then he says - "there thats for the 48 hours story on the last time they were all seen together ...." lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have owned and used several Garmin products and all have been good performers and reliable. I have never owned or operated a "Reach" but after reading about it believe it would be a great product for the andirondack's where as you well know; cell phone coverage can be spotty at best.

Just pack some extra batteries and you should be good to go. Good idea by the way.:good: One can never be to prepared.

"goosifer" has one,but I don't think he's used it yet. I'm still looking into which model to get there's quit a few to choose from. I'm all about the gps and this is just an added bonus.I already have the Garmin Colorado and never had an issue with it. For $30 a month it's a great piece of mind.I'm going to set it up with a family member with a quick text 'All's ok" at a set time.If the SHTF i'll lock down and hit the S.O.s button and wait it out. With the way you hunt I say get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hijacking this thread!!!

I'm about to pick up the garmin gpsmap 66i it's a gps plus has the s.o.s feature.I figured i'm probably going to spend the rest of my life hunting,fishing and exploring the ADK's,so it would be a great peace of mind to have.I've been communicating back and forth with garmin and it seems like the right unit for me.The only issue I have is the internal battery it last 35 hours or 200 hours in expedition mode.More then enough to get me through a day trip.It also burns more the more you text with it.Most of the reviewers use a solar panel to recharge in the field.This is not something i'd want to do at all. I'm looking for info on those power packs.I had a cheapie from Walmart it only lasted a year then wouldn't charge anymore.Anyone have any experience with these power packs?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/handheld-gps-accessories/handheld-gps/pc/104791680/c/104729580/sc/104373180/garmin-gpsmap-i/3354088.uts?slotId=1

btw all the inreaches have internal batteries.

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Hijacking this thread!!!

I'm about to pick up the garmin gpsmap 66i it's a gps plus has the s.o.s feature.I figured i'm probably going to spend the rest of my life hunting,fishing and exploring the ADK's,so it would be a great peace of mind to have.I've been communicating back and forth with garmin and it seems like the right unit for me.The only issue I have is the internal battery it last 35 hours or 200 hours in expedition mode.More then enough to get me through a day trip.It also burns more the more you text with it.Most of the reviewers use a solar panel to recharge in the field.This is not something i'd want to do at all. I'm looking for info on those power packs.I had a cheapie from Walmart it only lasted a year then wouldn't charge anymore.Anyone have any experience with these power packs?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/handheld-gps-accessories/handheld-gps/pc/104791680/c/104729580/sc/104373180/garmin-gpsmap-i/3354088.uts?slotId=1

Can it be charged by USB? If so, get something like this . Figure out the size of the internal battery in mAh, and size the external battery appropriately. Another way to go is to get a portable car battery charger which also has a USB port. Something like this.

In terms of experience, I have a couple and they still hold a charge. Maybe you just had a dud, or it needs to be recharged occasionally so that it doesn't go to zero.

Edited by goosifer
  • Thanks 1

Hijacking this thread!!!

The anker’s are very well liked. I used one ice fishing and it works awesome!

• Thanks 1