DMP'S FOR 9P

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

I live in 9X and Hunt 9P a lot.

There are not that many DMPs because the population is low.

9X is completley wooded with the exception of a few old farm fields. Agriculture is dead in 9X. 9P is dying with the exception of a few farmers and the Amish that are moving in.

If you want deer to hunt you need agriculture (another reason to buy local when it comes to food / produce). Its not a coincidence that all the WMUs that have high DMP numbers are also in the most productive agricultural areas (with the exception of the suburbs). Farms provide a large, very nutritious food source with lots of edge cover for wildlife. Same reason there are not millions of deer in the ADKs and Catskills. Same reason midwest has so many deer.

I cant figure out why every one form the Buffalo - Rochester area drives down to hunt 20 acres around my house. I pass them on the way north to hunt ag land.

• Like 2

I would think that around you guys a food plot would draw like a magnet then. I can't see wasting the money where I am in 8H....I could never compete with the beans and corn. Really stinks that you are in this situation.

If you can't get in the lottery at all without a pref point....How do you get a pref point?

• 2 months later...
I cant figure out why every one form the Buffalo - Rochester area drives down to hunt 20 acres around my house. I pass them on the way north to hunt ag land.

I used to do the same thing. Went down to a spot in 9P for years and spent alot of cash between food, gas, propane for the camper, etc and rarely saw or got a deer. Usually I would spend the last 2 days of bow down there and the first 5 days of gun, leave empty handed and then shoot a deer on Thanksgiving morning at my father's house. After having that happen a few times, I quit going to camp down there. Too many deer close to home to bother spending the time and money to hunt elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

i have my landowners permit,2 other guys have tags too. i read in the ny sportsmen paper the reason for less tags is to ratse the # of bucks per mile from 4.2 to 6.0 like the rest of the state.i hunt in 9p, seen alot of deer/bucks this bow season, tons of rubs too.

• 2 years later...

I have been hunting 9P area for 34 years now. The deer population has gone down dramatically over the years but last year it seemed that the numbers were up in the area I normally hunt. I can remember when the trees were just saplings and now they are full grown trees, damn am I getting old. Anyways I picked up a 9P tag, and 3 others in our group got a 9P as well. Hopefully we can fill the freezer with some good meat and have a great time hunting. Good luck to everyone.

• 10 months later...