practice with field points?

Robhuntandfish

When you are shooting the bow for practice and to dial in, are you using field points only?   I used to do this until i shot broadheads and realized i was 3" low.  Being a tweaker with the bow if its off by a 1/2 inch this doesnt work.  The broadhead and field point arent much different but i am now using the practice broadheads only and only buy broadheads that give you the practice head with it.  Not a big deal but it does keep me from going to 3D shoots.  Cause obviously cant use those heads on 3D targets and dont want to have to aim or change sites for a 3D shoot.  And how many have tested the difference between broadhead and field point?  Now my last bow - it didnt seem to matter but this one is faster and there is a 3" difference at 20 and more at 40 .  Right to left is no different but a def drop with the broadhead even though its the same 100 grain weight. 

And i have gotten so I shoot a lot less than before so i am not tweaking the bow really at all now.  But i am more often shooting 2-3 shots and then done. Used to have hour long shoots and find myself adj this and that but think it was more the form of the day.  I actually seem more consistant with the make it count shot.    

There i have offered a topic for the academy tonite ..... discuss - lol 

I practice with field points, then switch to broadheads of the same weight.  I have some I used to shoot into sand and they are now dull, but they can be used for practice again and again.  My recurve shows no difference in point of aim with the broadheads though.  It also doesn't matter if they are 3 blade or 4 blade.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I would think that it is a tuning issue with your arrows. What broadhead are you shooting? You might want to try a different brand in similar weight.

I shoot the grim reaper whitetails.  And they are a larger mech head.  But i really like them and bow is tuned great with the practice broadheads so wont switch - I just shoot with the practice tips.  Cause the performance from them has been great and no collars etc to mess with and if i shoot more than one arrow wiht the practice tips i have to aim at a different spot so i dont ruin arrows.  So its real accurrate but is def different than field points.   Rage does the same thing - they come with the practice tips.  Just wonder how many shoot field points for practice and not a practice BH ?  I will sometimes shoot an arrow with field points just knowing its gonna be a higher shot on the target. 

Do most people have a difference with the broadhead?  Be it fixed or mechanical?   

With mechanical ive always shot field point because they flew the same as the bh i used.(grim reapers)  this year i want to shoot muzzys 100 grains.  So as of now just shooting field points. I have a new release and sight so just making sure my form is good. But by september  all ill shoot is bh.

• Like 1

A well tuned bow should shoot both broadheads and field points the same. I have been working on that with mine,my BH were hitting left,so i adjusted my DL and grip and finally the rest to the left and now they hit the same. Broadheads hit different sometimes because it takes longer for the fletching to correct a less than perfect arrow path. You can hit fieldpoints in good groups with a terribly tuned bow. I would try to adjust your rest down just a hair,or raise the nock point up a tad. 

I practice with both tips to constantly confirm my form and arrow flight.

• Like 1

Weigh the broadheads.  I usually notice they are slightly heavier than field tips. (All are suppose to be 100 grain.)   The collapsible BH usually shoot much closer to field tips vs fixed.  One of the reasons I stick with relatively small cut diameter broad heads is they are usually close to my field tips.  Any adjustment is usually minor if the bow is in tune. When bow is tuned right I usually notice only a slight difference from broadheads and no difference in tips. 

• Like 2

I only shoot field point until the week or so before bow season . My field points were always off from my broadheads ,I switched to a mechanical just so I could hit where I was aiming . After I added weight to the front of my arrows ,both field points and fixed blade shoot the same. Plus I have the benefit of a heavier arrow.

• Like 2

Unless your practice tip has a bend in it you have a tuning issue.

You should be able to shoot any broadhead and field point interchangeably with a properly tuned bow.

You say your bow is tuned but I can almost guarantee you will se otherwise if you shoot it through paper.

Remember ever tiny bit that your knock is off center of your broadhead on impact is killing your KE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I shoot same weight FP / BH and see no difference. I have a designated BH that I use for targets and wouldn’t use for hunting to confirm. But after not seeing a difference many times over, I just shoot FP’s now. This has been the case with Compound and Xbow. The key is shooting the same weight.

That being said, I have noticed a slight difference with lighted nocks since they are heavier than regular knocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Both my old Mathews and the new to me Obsession, shoot FP's and BH's the same. I'm shooting fixed 3 blade 100gr Muzzys from both bows. Shot some NAP Thunderheads too from both bows, and POI is still the same. Both bows set at about 50lbs.

This thread on AT is outstanding and you dont need to be a shop technician to correct the most common problems. Get your BHs hitting with your FPs and stop tearing up targets

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460

If your BHs impact differently your arrow flight is most likely wonky and youre losing a lot of kinetic energy

• Thanks 1

Damn it you guys are gonna make me tweak my bow when it shoots touching groups already.  Is that damn crossbow bill gonna pass or what!?  Lol

Gonna have to try a paper tune. But I get pass thrus on all the deer I've shot with this bow too.  But will try to play with it before season. Am thinking then like Bowman Mike and buckmaster said might be an adj up/down on nock point. 

Thanks all

4 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Damn it you guys are gonna make me tweak my bow when it shoots touching groups already.  Is that damn crossbow bill gonna pass or what!?  Lol

Gonna have to try a paper tune. But I get pass thrus on all the deer I've shot with this bow too.  But will try to play with it before season. Am thinking then like Bowman Mike and buckmaster said might be an adj up/down on nock point. 

Thanks all

The easiest way to tune a bow is to buy a brand new one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Thanks all

Mark everything, play with the rest before moving your nock. Is the arrow nice and level across the berger hole?

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Thanks all

Don’t suppose you have a arrow roller ? If you did you could roll you field tip and broad head arrows to see if you had wobble in them.

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

any brand in particular Mr. Matthews?  lol 

Go in unbiased like I did. Shoot anything and everything and buy whatever feels good. The bow i ended up with (HTX No cam) was not even on my radar

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Go in unbiased like I did. Shoot anything and everything and buy whatever feels good. The bow i ended up with (HTX No cam) was not even on my radar

not looking to change yet. Bow is only 3 years old and its been a killer.  And prob wouldnt for another 2 years + .  esp waiting to see if Xbow opens up for the season.  Never took a shot with it last season though.  Got it new in '16 - buck and '17 - 2 doe.  All ten ringed!  20,30,35 yards.     

Bow buck 2016.jpg

doe - Augusta Oct 25th- 17.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

not looking to change yet. Bow is only 3 years old and its been a killer.  And prob wouldnt for another 2 years + .  esp waiting to see if Xbow opens up for the season.  Never took a shot with it last season though.  Got it new in '16 - buck and '17 - 2 doe.  All ten ringed!  20,30,35 yards.     

Bow buck 2016.jpg

doe - Augusta Oct 25th- 17.jpg

I was just kidding about the new bow approach! I bought mine in 2017 and no plans to ever replace.