Do you use a Safety Harness ?

fasteddie

Hell . you can get hurt from a short fall . A friend of ours and his wife were biking on the erie canal Path . They stopped and Tom was straddling his bike . He moved over when some other bicyclists approached . He lost his balance , fell over , hit his shoulder and busted it up real bad . He needs surgery and physical therapy .

Nothing to do with hunting but this was about a 3' fall . Too bad he wasn't tethered to his bike !  ??? ... ???

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe like the B/O topic, where many fellow hunters seem to be concerned about hunter safety, safety harnesses should be mandated as well? It does the sport no good every time a hunter falls from a treestand/climber and injures or kill themselves because they didn't wear one. Similar to the seatbelt law, harnesses will save alot of families from some horrible news or excessive medical bills that eventually effect all of us in our own medical/insurance premiums. Its estimated that 10% of hunters every year are injuried in a treestand related incident, seems to me treestand harnesses are more important than B/O, yet I don't hear a big push for them to be mandated. Also, standard harnesses may stop you from falling, but what about the jolt that can also cause severe injury. There is still a problem, you still can find yourself suspended in mid-air, unable to get up or down. If you hang there long enough, blood can pool in your legs, forming dangerous clots, and you may have trouble breathing. The latest solution that I am aware of is a controlled descent system (CDS). Basically, it is a full-body harness with a climbing rope and carabiner system built into the shoulder straps. If you fall and can’t get back up on your stand or ladder, you pull a kind of ripcord that releases the rope. By releasing pressure on the caribiner a little at a time, you can lower yourself to the ground. So what say you, harnesses need to be a legal imposed hunting equipment, if hunting out of a tree like many believe B/O should be. And like B/O, many want a specfic amount of B/O showing to be legal, should a harness have (CDS) to be considered as the only option "legal" type harness so that not only does it prevent you from falling, it assists you in getting to the ground safetly.

a law would be fine if it were enforcible.  How many dec officers would it take to check every stand any more than checking for B/O on private land? The only person getting a ticket would be the guy falling out of a stand.  We are going to enforce ourselves right out of a sport. You cant make laws to fight stupidity.  The next thing will be when someone gets shot in a hunting incident, we will not be allowed bullets any longer. 

Maybe like the B/O topic, where many fellow hunters seem to be concerned about hunter safety, safety harnesses should be mandated as well? It does the sport no good every time a hunter falls from a treestand/climber and injures or kill themselves because they didn't wear one. Similar to the seatbelt law, harnesses will save alot of families from some horrible news or excessive medical bills that eventually effect all of us in our own medical/insurance premiums. Its estimated that 10% of hunters every year are injuried in a treestand related incident, seems to me treestand harnesses are more important than B/O, yet I don't hear a big push for them to be mandated. Also, standard harnesses may stop you from falling, but what about the jolt that can also cause severe injury. There is still a problem, you still can find yourself suspended in mid-air, unable to get up or down. If you hang there long enough, blood can pool in your legs, forming dangerous clots, and you may have trouble breathing. The latest solution that I am aware of is a controlled descent system (CDS). Basically, it is a full-body harness with a climbing rope and carabiner system built into the shoulder straps. If you fall and can’t get back up on your stand or ladder, you pull a kind of ripcord that releases the rope. By releasing pressure on the caribiner a little at a time, you can lower yourself to the ground. So what say you, harnesses need to be a legal imposed hunting equipment, if hunting out of a tree like many believe B/O should be. And like B/O, many want a specfic amount of B/O showing to be legal, should a harness have (CDS) to be considered as the only option "legal" type harness so that not only does it prevent you from falling, it assists you in getting to the ground safetly.

No to mandatory. The recovery can be somewhat controlled by keeping your tether as tight as possible so any fall that may happen is as short as possible.

I'm terrified of heights I wont go near a tree stand without a safety harness and I wont climb any higher than 15 feet

I have the same problem only my fear of heights is such that I don't even use treestands at all ..... lol. So yes, I wish all treestanders would use the proper equipment for safety, but for me personally it is  non-issue.

Doc

A law making use of a safety system mandatory like the seatbelt laws????? NO FRICKIN WAY!!!!!! I don't believe in seatbelt laws (except in the case of small children) or motorcycle helmet laws. Its not the governments place to dictate the use of either. The choice should be left to the individual I'm sick and tired of government intruding into the lives of people; people that government is supposed to serve. But we've become a nation of sheep! Are we headed into an Orwellian utopia allowing government to tells us what to do, what to eat, where to work, and what to think?

Not a fan at all of such common sense things being made mandatory.

But on the other hand, if I see a jar on the store counter seeking support for someone falling not

using basic safety equipment, my money stays in my pocket. I don't support the need for foolish laws, but don't support fools either.

I use the Hunter Safety System Vest. I had a real bad fall two years ago while climbing into a hang on stand that had screw in steps. I got to the last step and my foot slipped off.  I fell about 12 feet and landed on my side.  I was very bruised and sore for about a month.  I was very lucky. I heard of people falling less than that with severe consequences. I was also hunting alone and was some distance from my vehicle.  I had the wind knocked out of me so badly that I laid there for almost a half hour before I could breath normally. I hunt almost always from a treestand but now oniy use and hunt from ladder stands and always wear my harness.

MIKE

I use the Hunter Safety System Vest. I had a real bad fall two years ago while climbing into a hang on stand that had screw in steps. I got to the last step and my foot slipped off.  I fell about 12 feet and landed on my side.  I was very bruised and sore for about a month.  I was very lucky. I heard of people falling less than that with severe consequences. I was also hunting alone and was some distance from my vehicle.  I had the wind knocked out of me so badly that I laid there for almost a half hour before I could breath normally. I hunt almost always from a treestand but now oniy use and hunt from ladder stands and always wear my harness.

MIKE

Mike-

It's hard to look at a bad fall like that as something lucky, but at least you got a warning and decided to take heed. Good for you. It could have been a whole lot worse.

Doc-

I guess I failed to mention that was using a harness and had used them previously when that fall occured.  I was not using any type of fall protection that prevents falls while climbing the steps. My wife tells me that im too old to climb trees!

MIKE

Ha-ha ..... maybe the wife is right ...... maybe.

By the way, you don't have to be climbing trees to get in trouble. I remember one time when I had a small tree wedged across my ATV trail. So I decided to try to snap the thing in two and drag the two halves off the trail. I guess I got a little too intent on what I was trying to do and got into a position where I was pulling on the thing like a bow limb with all my weight and leg power at work. Well, naturally the thing broke all at once and sent me back into another tree so hard it knocked the wind out of me. It was a lot like your fall, and I had to lay there for a while just to get my breathing back to normal. Same deal, I was in the middle of the hill with absolutely no one around and no one even knowing where I was (I didn't have the ATV with me that time). I guess I was quite fortunate that nothing in my back broke because I did hit right on my spine. Now that WAS dumb! But I didn't climb any trees to almost do the same thing. :-[

Doc-

I guess I failed to mention that was using a harness and had used them previously when that fall occured.  I was not using any type of fall protection that prevents falls while climbing the steps. My wife tells me that im too old to climb trees!

MIKE

Ha-ha ..... maybe the wife is right ...... maybe.

By the way, you don't have to be climbing trees to get in trouble. I remember one time when I had a small tree wedged across my ATV trail. So I decided to try to snap the thing in two and drag the two halves off the trail. I guess I got a little too intent on what I was trying to do and got into a position where I was pulling on the thing like a bow limb with all my weight and leg power at work. Well, naturally the thing broke all at once and sent me back into another tree so hard it knocked the wind out of me. It was a lot like your fall, and I had to lay there for a while just to get my breathing back to normal. Same deal, I was in the middle of the hill with absolutely no one around and no one even knowing where I was (I didn't have the ATV with me that time). I guess I was quite fortunate that nothing in my back broke because I did hit right on my spine. Now that WAS dumb! But I didn't climb any trees to almost do the same thing. :-[

maybe we need a law that says no breaking trees in trails. 

I bought the solid ones that screw in, even bought the drill attachment.  Figured those might be better then using wood nailed to a tree..  These are the ones I got... 

"The Grizzly is one of the largest tree steps available. Designed for the safety-minded hunter, the 6" length and 45° foot peg on this 40-pack of steps makes them easier to climb. No boot is too large for these steps. Strength-tested to 1,500 pounds. For additional safety climbing into your stand, they come complete with a handy 20-foot bow hoist rope with a sturdy clip and screw-in bow holder. Per 40-pack. "

Burm,

I have climbed many trees with the solid steps.  as long as they are in the tree good and solid u should be fine.  Just be carefull if you wear soft rubber boats.  Those steps if at the right angle can be very slippery.  I have had my feet slide off of them very quickly leaves you kinda hanging there going holy sh**. 

Just a funny thing about the screw in steps; I bought a few extra to replace the 2 - 3 folding steps used at the bottom of a ladder stand. Now you might be thinking - wait a minute, ladder stand & screw in steps - huh? Well it's a homemade job with 4x4's two 8 footers giving me 16' on a concrete block leading up to the platform. So the steps are the ladder.

The other ones I got for at camp I can get up a tree to get 1 bar on the cell.  8)

John....same ones I use...and they are textured on the surface so they are more anti-slip. The little turned up end helps keep your foot from sliding as well.....Word of caution....I used one as a bow holder and the texture wrecked a cam on my bow. not sure it it was me putting it on it of the wind riocking it bu it burred the cam and put a nick in my string.

what is the price you got for 40? I don't think I have seen them packaged in more than 25 before.