Loosing Huntine Land Permissions

DirtTime

A neighbor and I were sitting outside talking hunting the other night around my fire pit. We got on the topic of gaining access to private land around this area. We got to talking, and has been out knocking on the same doors this Summer I knocked on for two years getting the same shine on. He was raised and grew up out here and knows many of the people that told him no.

For some areas it seems like they will let everyone who asks hunt a tiny little 50 acres, while other areas it's a firm no and the door is rather rudely shot.

My wife and I have less then two left on out mortgage. Then we still have some improvements we want to make but it looks like we might have enough in the budget at that time to able to afford buying small plot of land around 25 acres. I hope we can make this happen because I am tired of the BS.

I just want my place where I can do w/e the hell I want and be done with knocking on doors.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 5

A neighbor and I were sitting outside talking hunting the other night around my fire pit. We got on the topic of gaining access to private land around this area. We got to talking, and has been out knocking on the same doors this Summer I knocked on for two years getting the same shine on. He was raised and grew up out here and knows many of the people that told him no.

For some areas it seems like they will let everyone who asks hunt a tiny little 50 acres, while other areas it's a firm no and the door is rather rudely shot.

My wife and I have less then two left on out mortgage. Then we still have some improvements we want to make but it looks like we might have enough in the budget at that time to able to afford buying small plot of land around 25 acres. I hope we can make this happen because I am tired of the BS.

I just want my place where I can do w/e the hell I want and be done with knocking on doors.

What's typically the reason for the no? They hunt themselves, don't like hunting, already allow others permission?

7 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Good luck! We just bought 29 acres. No feeling like going out and walking your own land. Hope you find something nice.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

What's typically the reason for the no? They hunt themselves, don't like hunting, already allow others permission?

These ^^^, but most likely others have spoiled or abused these landowners' permission previously. Could also be a concern for liability issues. 

Landowner may reconsider their "NO" with some assurance of your integrity, responsibility and a possible release form. Obviously if the door is slammed in your face, best to thank them & walk away. Don't knock on a door seeking permission w/o a hard evidence, hand-out folder of who you are.... a simple bio, contact info, job desc or business card, family, local ties or references, if avail - pistol permit background check receipt, blah, blah. Seem like over-kill... what's the worst that could happen, still a "NO" and folder of personal info is thrown away!?! Or you could get a call-back, who knows? Or - sometimes $$ talks or a promise of some bartered "sweat equity".

Interesting previously posted forum reading for those seeking hunting permission... 

23 minutes ago, old man river said:

At one time, I did try to gain Private Land Hunting Permission. Some people, I worked with over the years had Land, I found out through the Grapevine. I asked if, I could hunt there in May. The 2 replys, I got were-- let me get back to you and just a long smile. A few year back,there was a awesome Farm in my area that was up for sale. My Brother in law always drove by and saw big Gobblers pecking around in an upper field near hardwoods. I took a look myself. I wrote a nice long letter telling the Landowner who, I was and that, I was willing to pay 100 Bucks to hunt just 2 days in May on a Weekend for 1 Gobbler. I never heard back..  I only live 52 miles from NYC and rich commuters are buying up the land . Some hunt-- but most are opposed.  Maybe that 100 bucks was too low to offer. Never made more then 28 thou yearly- so that is alot for me though. I am out of all Gun Clubs now as well. The yearly dues just kept going up. So for me-- it is Public Lands. 

I consider a public land buck or bird the greatest trophy of all . My primary spot never holds any mature deer ,it's like the spot doe come to raise their young . I scouted stateland this summer even though I have private land to hunt. 

• Like 2

I have been fortunate enough to have plenty of private deer land but for waterfowl it's generally 10-15 no's before a yes, and even then its likely other people have permission. Key is continuing to ask. Good luck rob nothing like your own place to hunt and tell people no lol. 

• Like 1

When someone says, “ I don’t allow hunting “ that’s your Golden opportunity!

You explain to them , you’d bet there are in fact hunters on there now , doing who knows what , building stands, cutting trees and so forth , but you the responsible one will keep those guys off and respect the land and owners wishes . Have references they can call and so on , dress nice ,leave your Jack Daniels T shirt home , along with your loud truck .

I knew a guy who, got and still gets access to great farmland ,by being the guy to keep,others off, post it  remove old wood stands etc . He offers to be the bad guy on the landowners behalf , in exchange for hunting it .

In the past I got access to two,great spots , that nobody could,get permission for ,one is owed by a guy who’s known as a whack  job , a guy who takes a chain saw to any tree he finds a stand in , after our first talk I just left . Later I returned to tell him I’d be parked nearby as I’d be hunting the adjacent land and didn’t want him to think I was trespassing on his , he replied with , “ don’t you want to hunt my land ? “ I was treated like gold and even allowed to,use his atv .

The other guy said his buddies hunted it for years , but stopped when he asked them to,sign a release , that stared an argument between them , I said where do,I sign ? This was a guy who everyone feared even stepping one foot on his land .

No doesn’t always mean no , if you can find the right approach .

• Like 2

there's a thousand questions i could have about how you asked and what was said and probably a million different reasons why people get the door or a 'no' that are valid and not simply the landowner being a dick. how many people ask for permission with the mindset of simply i want to hunt and you have something i want? How many people start the conversation by with a handshake, full introduction, and then ask i was wondering what you need or how i can help you out IF you were to consider giving me permission to hunt your property?

any smaller acreage there's a chance it's already hunted and easily crowded. large acreage is a b*&^% to keep and there's always something to be done. still i don't know of any private property that isn't already hunted a fair bit by someone. often it takes a lot more than simply asking and if it doesn't then you're going to show up opening day be surrounded by your peers who thought they were the only ones too.

the most common misconception is almost all private land is better than almost all public land.  if you think this you're fooling only yourself. the best private land is no different than the best public land it takes work to gain access. it's just a different kind of work and effort.

8 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

the most common misconception is almost all private land is better than almost all public land.  if you think this you're fooling only yourself. the best private land is no different than the best public land it takes work to gain access. it's just a different kind of work and effort.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "better" is.  If it's killing trophy deer or deer for meat, maybe there is public land out there that could compare to private.  I can't, however, ever visualize any public land being as good as private for most other facets of hunting, such as the knowledge that you will be the only one in the area and knowing that the likelihood of someone interfering with your hunt will be low to none.  For things like this there is NO public land that will ever compare.  Yeah, you can go deep into public land somewhere to get away from others, but it's still public land and you have no more right to it than anyone else.  That to me is a BIG difference.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I guess it depends on what your definition of "better" is.  If it's killing trophy deer or deer for meat, maybe there is public land out there that could compare to private.  I can't, however, ever visualize any public land being as good as private for most other facets of hunting, such as the knowledge that you will be the only one in the area and knowing that the likelihood of someone interfering with your hunt will be low to none.  For things like this there is NO public land that will ever compare.  Yeah, you can go deep into public land somewhere to get away from others, but it's still public land and you have no more right to it than anyone else.  That to me is a BIG difference.

doesn't matter whether it's trophies, freezer filling, or peace and quiet to yourself. all public land is different same as all private land is different. I've hunted public land miles in the middle of a swamp thousands of acres. shot a buck with my bow. followed the "blood trail" and it died 5 yards from a vacant tree stand that was clearly kept up and hunted from.

I've hunted the private land hundreds of acres and been looking right at others hunters on or off the property within the range of my weapon. at my private stand on the family farm that is my sole spot that other do not have permission to hunt i've had the sun come up only to have a hunter on the neighbor's right next to me well within 100 yards during opening day of rifle season. i've even had tresspassers i've found in my stands. others were people that hunt the same property that hoped you wouldn't be there and just looking for a vacant stand to hunt.

i've hunted a couple spots on public land that i've only seen another once in the years i've hunted it and that was only at the trail head.  i have freezer filing spots, trophy spots, easy spots, and spots to get away from people just to have time to myself.

there's no question that some private land can be clearly better, but some on here piss and moan that "if only they had private land. hunting would be (better)." it's there go to excuse. some of the best hunters i know keep both private and public options fresh and on table for good reason.

• Like 3

Or you can hunt private next to public where every season I have joggers or walkers stroll by within bow range as they veer off course and pay no attention to the posted signs.  I am always amused at how startled they are when I politely ask them from my tree stand to head in the other direction.  That said, I like my private parcels.  Best of all, you can pre-arrange entry, exit and stand locations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Or you can hunt private next to public where every season I have joggers or walkers stroll by within bow range as they veer off course and pay no attention to the posted signs.  I am always amused at how startled they are when I politely ask them from my tree stand to head in the other direction.  That said, I like my private parcels.  Best of all, you can pre-arrange entry, exit and stand locations.

i can pre-arrange public land too. often they don't allow you to go off trail systems (scouting) or place temporary stands until hunting season. i just claim i'm a lost hiker that can't read signs.  they just nod their heads in total acceptance and we go about our separate ways like i suddenly got my bearings back.

49 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

You say that it is BS that you can not get permission to hunt on someone else land. Will you allow a stranger to hunt your future land ?

I would not but I'm a hunter. Theres a lot of land out there owned by people that dont hunt. Theres a big chunk of land that a topsoil farmer owns near me, he and I are friendly so every time I see him I ask to hunt. He always says no, sorry, I already let people hunt. I then ask "How many of them bought 17 yards of topsoil from you?" and he just laughs. Someday I'll get it lol

• Like 3

It's been many years since I've went knocking on doors, but when I did, 100% of the yes's were crop farms in high deer density areas. Those folks couldn't get enough hunters to help them with their "vermin problem". And they don't want to hear anything about trophy hunting, they wanted deer killed, period.

It's been many years since I've went knocking on doors, but when I did, 100% of the yes's were crop farms in high deer density areas. Those folks couldn't get enough hunters to help them with their "vermin problem". And they don't want to hear anything about trophy hunting, they wanted deer killed, period.

And those are the private lands that I DONT want access to. Too many hunters with “sole permission” on a private property where the land owner just wants game removed makes for a bad scenario IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

you have to kill DOES? yikes, that's my worst nightmare!!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

Why such an aversion to killing does??

I'm just joking around. I have no problem with it. I just don't do it because i'm limited on the amount of days I hunt, so I'd rather shoot nothing and wait for a buck. I last shot a doe in 2001.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

And those are the private lands that I DONT want access to. Too many hunters with “sole permission” on a private property where the land owner just wants game removed makes for a bad scenario IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played the long game. Had to put up with a dozen people on 200 acres, putting drives on starting at 10:00 am, people sitting in your stand, etc. Then we bought the woods and smaller fields and another neighbor bought the 120 acre field that we surround and converted it from a fallow hay field to corn planted every year. At first a lot of the other original hunters felt they could still hunt it it because “they always have. That worked itself out in a few years and we use it exclusively for family, two neighbors and an occasional guest.

Long game, baby!

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

In the early 80's we used to hunt private land(with permission) in the Catskills. It became dangerous. I almost got shot twice. So we went to Adirondacks and hunted Indian Lake (Moose River Recreation/Cedar River). Just go on public land . Adirondack Park is the largest designated wilderness park in the country.

The Poconos in Pennsylavania has an extremely high concentration of game. Allegheney forest is great too. Some times it's worth getting a non resident and driving down to PA. Plenty of designated game lands throughout the state.

Edited by Vinootz
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vinootz said:

In the early 80's we used to hunt private land(with permission) in the Catskills. It became dangerous. I almost got shot twice. So we went to Adirondacks and hunted Indian Lake (Moose River Recreation/Cedar River). Just go on public land . Adirondack Park is the largest designated wilderness park in the country.

The Poconos in Pennsylavania has an extremely high concentration of game. Allegheney forest is great too. Some times it's worth getting a non resident and driving down to PA. Plenty of designated game lands throughout the state.

Just spent a few days at Indian Lake. Beautiful. Good deer and bear sign around.

12 hours ago, Skillet said:

Just spent a few days at Indian Lake. Beautiful. Good deer and bear sign around.

I've spent quite a few weekends tenting on the state sites on the undeveloped side of the lake (East). That is big country up there. We used to focus on the area between John Mack pond and Crotched pond.  Beautiful area but I never ran across an area that I could say had really good sign. Sounds like you are on to a sweet spot. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Usually either liability or just they don't allow hunting.

As to would I allow other hunters on my land? Yes and no. Good friends, absolutely. Strangers, only if I had a few hundred acres that would allow for more people and not a lot of pressure. Les then a 100 acres would be a no.