coyote killed 97 year old grandmother’s dog, dragged it into woods

Hunter007

It's a rat dog! Shit a small bird could have eaten the thing. She should have gotten a real dog. That said I do feel bad for her, but also coyotes are out there and you should just be alert and ready and willing to take one out at any point especially if they're a threat to you, your kin, or property

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, old man river said:

I usually carry a good knife while hiking along with - the Storm-- world's loudest Whistle and plenty of Deep Woods Off. Black Bears and Coyotes absolutely hate the smell of DEET.

They also hate a .357 Mag, which is usually the minimum caliber I carry when hiking...Back when I was doing  a lot of hiking  to keep in shape for hunting trips, I usually carried a Garand M1  or a Yugo 8MM Mauser, to add to the workout....

Besides that, my hiking companion was a 105 pound lab cross named Gersh….Gentlest dog you ever saw toward people or other dogs, but he'd turn a coyote , a coon or a woodchuck inside out and  I'd wager a bear would think twice before taking him on...

• Like 6

I have never had any bears or coyotes act aggressively toward me either, Bill..They always vacated the premises pronto as soon as they saw or smelled me..

However, it would only take that one renegade in a thousand to ruin your day big time...With bears there is always a chance of encountering a sow with cubs, triggering aggressive action in defense of her cubs..  A friend of mine did have a big black bear act aggressively toward him, and there were no cubs involved, at least none that he saw...The bear growled and popped it's teeth at him...Fortunately he was carrying a shotgun with slugs, and after he fired a couple of rounds close to the bear, it  reluctantly moved off...  Good to know about the DEET...  Repels bears AND bugs....Hehehehe…..

• Like 1

I know a pair of coyote tried getting my camp neighbors full grown golden retriever a couple winters ago. Let it out to piss for the night before bed.. as he watched the dog do his thing, he also saw 2 coyotes come in a tumble with the dog for a second, just before he was able to grab the 22mag from a nearby corner and hammer one of them. This is out of town too.. Anythings possible.. Not sure how I feel about this article telling people to not run from a coyote, if its a small child or pet.. Regardless of standing or running.. I would think your still in that bubble of dinner to a coyote.. Run and scream. Or stand and scream? 

Weve had a good size bear in our yard on and off for a month now.. not a big fan of my daughter and her puppy playing outside just before dark.. And the coyotes are plentiful too. But they're gonna catch hell, come October 1st 

22 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

I don't know for sure but maybe the DEC thinks the population could not stand that kind of hunting pressure . I would assume that is the reason . 

That to me is ridiculous, with all the private/unaccessable hunting land out there, there is no way we hunters could put that big a dent in the statewide coyote population. They should be treated like red squirrels....

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

That to me is ridiculous, with all the private/unaccessable hunting land out there, there is no way we hunters could put that big a dent in the statewide coyote population. They should be treated like red squirrels....

I know what you mean but 

That is my guess  only possible reason what else could  it be ? Politics?

Don't know if coyotes are loved that much  by green movement for them to interfere. 

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1