Quickly approaching

doebuck1234

27 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I think i will use a canoe this year to cross a swamp down the road from me for a sneaky way into the woods. My property borders it,so i can leave the canoe down there. Should throw the deer for a loop.

Returning to camp with a buck in a canoe is a bucket list item!

• Like 4

I am looking into a new video camera, would really like to get some good video this year.  

Looking forward to early mornings as last year I was a lazy bum in the AM and it cost me 3 bucks, did not really care because I already got my ADK buck so anything else was a bonus.  Two where in the 140 plus range so it was a wake up call for me to get out of bed early this season!  

Real goal is to get my hunting partner into a buck up in the ADK, hard for me to give him advice as he is very smart about deer hunting but never seems to get any good luck with spotting them. 

Get better with my climber in the dark so I want to use more often, been sitting in my attic for years! 

Might actually put up some ladder stands this year as well just need to get it into a location it will not get stolen. 

• Like 1

Ill be hunting some new areas of the properties I hunt this year. Going to be aggressive again this year since thats how I end up doing the best anyway. Hoping to get a shot at a nice buck again this year and maybe if im lucky ill get another crack at a big one on public land again. Hurt to mess that shot up last year

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 8:31 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im always trying to take a doe early and take the pressure but rarely make it happen. THIS IS OUR YEAR!

Same here!  I want a doe with the bow early to take off the pressure.  I have a few new places to hunt this year that are closer to work, so I can get out right from work and increase my time in the woods.  Last year was a sucky bow season for me... only one possible shot but never wound up drawing on her.  This year is gonna be my bow year!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Last bow season I saw seven deer from a stand and four were together opening morning, i had twelve sits that I didnt see a deer. Absolutely brutal. We're on to 2019!

I can top you! 25 "sits" with no deer seen in 2018. 11/19 - 12/9 was a nice stretch with zero deer seen. Maybe a WNY jinx? never saw a deer after returning to east coast.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

1. Get my kids out with me. Last year they never made it for one reason or another

2. Take a deer with the bow. This will be my 4th year with a bow and have yet to harvest one. 

When you "harvest" a deer, do you use bare hands (with gloves on/off) or garden scissors?

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When you "harvest" a deer, do you use bare hands (with gloves on/off) or garden scissors?

Personally I like to wear those finger-less leather driving gloves and use a good pair of garden clippers. I make sure to clip them before they flower so they will continue to grow. 

6 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Personally I like to wear those finger-less leather driving gloves and use a good pair of garden clippers. I make sure to clip them before they flower so they will continue to grow. 

fantastic. make sure you disinfect them before harvesting anything else.

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Do you flood your woods and harvest the deer like cranberries?

No that would be illegal. Cant harvest while they are in the water. However you can use a sprinkler to entice them into joyfully playing in it on a hot October day. When they least expect it that's when you get em with the garden clippers. Just make sure you are wearing your finger-less leather driving gloves so you don't lose your grip, bad things can happen.

• Like 2

This I agree with completely.

My dad is 81 and shot a 6 point last year, that we gutted , dragged, and cut up for him, very rewarding, his last deer shot was 20 years ago.

Another big one for me is get my dad a deer.used to hunt all the time(who i started out hunting with).got out of it a bit and got him back on board last year.seeing him get a deer would make my 2019 season

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TACC said:

This I agree with completely.

My dad is 81 and shot a 6 point last year, that we gutted , dragged, and cut up for him, very rewarding, his last deer shot was 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Awesome!!!hoping this year is the year

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 5:03 PM, NFA-ADK said:

Looking forward to early mornings as last year I was a lazy bum in the AM and it cost me 3 bucks, did not really care because I already got my ADK buck so anything else was a bonus.  Two where in the 140 plus range so it was a wake up call for me to get out of bed early this season!  

This is the benefit to not using cams. Two years ago I had a cam image of a monstrous buck laying down right in front of the camera around noon. I can't remember, if I'm perfectly honest, if it was the same day I had been hunting that morning and had just left early, but in 2016 something similar happened: I got to my tree (public land) and around 15 min earlier just as the sun was starting to come up, a good size buck was feeding, which I saw on my tablet as I sat up in the tree.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Last bow season I saw seven deer from a stand and four were together opening morning, i had twelve sits that I didnt see a deer. Absolutely brutal. We're on to 2019!

My hardest seasons was 2016, which was my second. 2015 was my first and I spooked deer constantly, but I got smart and decided to hunt from trees for 2016. In 2016 I took a buck within an hour of opening, with my bow. I then hunted hard the rest of the season, going out around 24 times and during those 24 sits I saw a grand total of two more deer while in stand. Just brutal. It was public land.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I can top you! 25 "sits" with no deer seen in 2018. 11/19 - 12/9 was a nice stretch with zero deer seen. Maybe a WNY jinx? never saw a deer after returning to east coast.

You have my condolences. Why is it so bad? Is it private land? Can you not food plot, etc.? 

Edited by Core

46 minutes ago, Core said:

My hardest seasons was 2016, which was my second. 2015 was my first and I spooked deer constantly, but I got smart and decided to hunt from trees for 2016. In 2016 I took a buck within an hour of opening, with my bow. I then hunted hard the rest of the season, going out around 24 times and during those 24 sits I saw a grand total of two more deer while in stand. Just brutal. It was public land.

You have my condolences. Why is it so bad? Is it private land? Can you not food plot, etc.? 

Not sure. Just bad luck I guess. Dad shot a nice 8pt. in 2018, he shot 2 nice bucks in 2017, and we both shot one in 2016. Was an odd year for sure.

19 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Have had a few years like that myself.this year is the year biz!make it happen!:taunt:

20190904_192913.jpg

I'm bringing a bottle of champagne to WNY. Put it on ice friday night with plans to pop it up saturday post-buck opening day.

• Like 2

I’m going to wear my 30 plus year old boonie hat . This thread reminds me , I need to go buy my license too , since the school tax bill came two days ago, I can pay that at the same time .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

I am looking forward to hunting season, mostly for a little relaxation.  Work schedule has been hectic, and after work "work" schedule even more hectic.   Most years, it is all about the "free meat", but my wife has also been busy, and has not had time to cook many meals at home.    It looks like we will have about half of our normal year's supply left-over in the freezer from last season, on October 16 (first day I will deer hunt the northern zone crossbow season).   

Tons of work remains to be done between now and October 16, but jobs are dropping fast now that the weather is finally starting to cooperate.   I plan on jumping the gun just a little and getting some winter wheat planted this Sunday (not normally recommended before September 10 in WNY).  I knocked off most of our firewood supply last weekend, but did not have time to check the zero on a few of my deer guns like I usually try to accomplish by Labor day.   

A few things "different" this hunting season that would be nice: 1) Killing a deer at home with no standing corn nearby 2) Killing an antlered buck in the early northern zone ML season, or the late southern zone ML season (just button bucks for me there so far). 3) Killing a buck up north with my new Marlin lever action 30/30, hopefully while wearing the 1950's Woolrich red-checkered hunting pants that my wife recently found in my size.    I killed my first antlered buck wearing a pair of those that were my grandfather's when I was 17, but outgrew them before I turned 20.              

• Like 2