Some interesting data on Mechanicals VS Fixed

Culvercreek hunt club

16 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Does this mean it means more about shot placement? Rather than broadhead style?

Heck I can answer that question without reading the article.............kind of like a 375H&H in the guts and a .223 in the boiler room.  Maybe over simplified but you get my drift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Does this mean it means more about shot placement? Rather than broadhead style? lol I just skimmed it quick 

yes. still and will always be important. one thing the article doesn't touch on is bow setups outside your typical 50+ lb draw weight compound. if you use a lighter setup or shoot a recurve or longbow then i think it'd be prudent to your success if you stick with a cut on contact fixed blade head with more swept back blade angle.

crossbows seemed to heavily favor mechanicals but here's my thoughts. i see more mechanical crossbow heads on the shelves here. crossbows have boat loads of energy with sufficient arrow weight to drive a mechanical hard into the deer. also crossbows are stupid fast and i don't care what your opinion is it's basic science that even perfectly tuned a mechanical head will fly better than a fixed blade. it's just more aerodynamic.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Heck I can answer that question without reading the article.............kind of like a 375H&H in the guts and a .223 in the boiler room.  Maybe over simplified but you get my drift.

it's messed up that i know someone who hunts whitetails with a 375 H&H so i find your comment totally relevant and not out of context one bit. lol

I found this really interesting. not to make this a "crossbow" thing but this is data on how far people are really shooting with them. 

The relative shot distances taken do not appear to be a factor in the assessment of broadhead effectiveness. The chart below shows the average shot distances by bow and broadhead type. The differences in average shot distances for the respective subgroups are not statistically significant. The average shot distance for 633 hit deer is 19.1 yards

broadhead-choice-shot-distance-qdma.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I found this really interesting. not to make this a "crossbow" thing but this is data on how far people are really shooting with them. 

The relative shot distances taken do not appear to be a factor in the assessment of broadhead effectiveness. The chart below shows the average shot distances by bow and broadhead type. The differences in average shot distances for the respective subgroups are not statistically significant. The average shot distance for 633 hit deer is 19.1 yards

broadhead-choice-shot-distance-qdma.jpg

These yardages line up with my compound shot history. Although I shoot both fixed and mech and its never entered my mind that I had more range with one or the other

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Personal experiences always vary. This article is over a decade long look at recovery data using Mechanicals VS Fixed. It's worth the read. 

https://www.qdma.com/does-broadhead-choice-really-matter/?utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-08-08

I had read that report before some time ago. I believe the larger cutting diameter of a mechanical is the deciding factor. I’ve shot spitfires for years and I will say the large cut has helped  me in poor shot placement . Let’s face it no one can place a broad  head  100% of the time in the optimal kill zone on a deer. there’s just to many uncontrollable factors that can affect shot placement . But having said that one has to have the KE to take advantage of the large cut. I am switching to black hornets this year. After seeing guys post photos of the large holes they leave I believe they are the best of both worlds. Large holes and great penetration.  

Edited by rob-c

29 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

These yardages line up with my compound shot history. Although I shoot both fixed and mech and its never entered my mind that I had more range with one or the other

The compound distance seemed right on par with what I have heard and experienced myself. The crossbow was the one that actually surprised me. Always hearing about how the longer shots will be taken and seeing how accurate mine is out to 50 yards I at least expected that number to be in the 30's for an average. 

• Like 1

I like simple things. A fixed broadhead is simple. I would never shoot a mechanical just for the fear of it not opening or working properly on a buck of a lifetime. I have no complaints with fixed heads so i'll never change.

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I like simple things. A fixed broadhead is simple. I would never shoot a mechanical just for the fear of it not opening or working properly on a buck of a lifetime. I have no complaints with fixed heads so i'll never change.

Completely understood.  My father still drives a Model T ford for the same reason.  Just kidding Biz.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Says the guy (green bubble guy they called him) that poo poo'd the iPhone.

:)

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Completely understood.  My father still drives a Model T ford for the same reason.  Just kidding Biz.

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Says the guy (green bubble guy they called him) that poo poo'd the iPhone.

:)

For real though, what is the proven benefit of a mechanical broadhead when hunting in NY where most shots are 15-35 yards?

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

According to the study, about a 7% increase in recovery rate.

Really? I didn't read the article. I would think a mechanical loses penetration speed when it opens at impact. But I'm not a physics guy. My bow shoots well under 300fps, so i'm sticking with fixed. I'm not a good source of info. My only fixed broadhead kill was 18 yard shot, double lung, and the buck made it 5-7 yards before dying.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

The most amazing thing is I do not see the average range of the crossbow at 40 yards.. or 80 I mean that's what will ruin bowhunting they are like a rifle .. apparently a reasonable range is taken with crossbow and bow.. though I do wonder if recovery rates are lower for bow as many do not seem.to know where their arrow hits with bow with 100% certainty yet those with crossbow and increased speed doesnt let the deer drop and influence the hit.

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Really? I didn't read the article. I would think a mechanical loses penetration speed when it opens at impact. But I'm not a physics guy. My bow shoots well under 300fps, so i'm sticking with fixed. I'm not a good source of info. My only fixed broadhead kill was 18 yard shot, double lung, and the buck made it 5-7 yards before dying.

It's worth a read and one of the only ones I have seen that has some real data associated with it rather than just opinion. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Really? I didn't read the article. I would think a mechanical loses penetration speed when it opens at impact. But I'm not a physics guy. My bow shoots well under 300fps, so i'm sticking with fixed.

It does not appear that bow poundage or speed was factored in on the study.  But there was a 7% increase.  I suppose one should know whether they have the required equipment to use a mechanical.  Kill em with whatever you like, but you do need to release an arrow!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Personal experiences always vary. This article is over a decade long look at recovery data using Mechanicals VS Fixed. It's worth the read. 

https://www.qdma.com/does-broadhead-choice-really-matter/?utm_source=eblast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-08-08

I guess one Question would be.... maybe the guys with Fixed broadheads are just not as skilled hunters or are more Jerky? I mean... this is a set area where you most likely have the Same hunters all the time...

22 minutes ago, Eric J said:

I guess one Question would be.... maybe the guys with Fixed broadheads are just not as skilled hunters or are more Jerky? I mean... this is a set area where you most likely have the Same hunters all the time...

I have been on this base for work. Service members move in and out. All of them have to qualify in a shooting test.