Some interesting data on Mechanicals VS Fixed

Culvercreek hunt club

Interesting read. Same conclusions in article we already knew about the fixed vs mech BH discussion before reading. Did have some interesting facts in article, but hardly any overwhelming results to convert any bow hunter to use one or the other BHs.

What I found confusing was that the article had "facts/data", but the author spent more time on disclaimers or the circumstances around the shot, even before any recovery had begun. IE; buck-fever, shot placement, deer's reaction at time of shot, ... All of which directly effected the shot's lethalness and recovery %, regardless of which BH was used.

Found it interesting all applicants needed to complete a bow hunter safety course and pass a bow (Xbow?) shooting test. Which is a good thing!!!

21 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

yes. still and will always be important. one thing the article doesn't touch on is bow setups outside your typical 50+ lb draw weight compound. if you use a lighter setup or shoot a recurve or longbow then i think it'd be prudent to your success if you stick with a cut on contact fixed blade head with more swept back blade angle.

crossbows seemed to heavily favor mechanicals but here's my thoughts. i see more mechanical crossbow heads on the shelves here. crossbows have boat loads of energy with sufficient arrow weight to drive a mechanical hard into the deer. also crossbows are stupid fast and i don't care what your opinion is it's basic science that even perfectly tuned a mechanical head will fly better than a fixed blade. it's just more aerodynamic.

Yea I was trying to be sarcastic lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 8:50 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I found this really interesting. not to make this a "crossbow" thing but this is data on how far people are really shooting with them. 

The relative shot distances taken do not appear to be a factor in the assessment of broadhead effectiveness. The chart below shows the average shot distances by bow and broadhead type. The differences in average shot distances for the respective subgroups are not statistically significant. The average shot distance for 633 hit deer is 19.1 yards

broadhead-choice-shot-distance-qdma.jpg

I'm going to guess these numbers, if taken today, may not match up, as xbows continue to get better but people may not be better shots with their vertical.

I practice a ton with the vertical but really want my shots within 20. I've taken three deer with my centerpoint sniper 370, two at around 30 yards, and I think nothing of it. The power, accuracy, and magnification definitely makes me feel it's got a good 10 yards on the vertical. I do use mechanical because the fixed on the xbow are highly inconsistent in POI.

• Like 1