New pup

Bolt action

I picked up a Mountain Feist puppy a few weeks back. Primarily he's going to be a family dog. My son is 5 and we wanted him to grow up with a dog to play with. So far he's been great. Only with us for a few weeks and he already thinks he's king of the castle. I'm curious about the breed though. No one around here seems to have any experience with them. When I bring him to various pet stores, they've only maybe heard of the breed, but no one has seen them before. Same with the vet. I found some info online, but not much. they're recognized by NKC and UKC, but not by the AKC, not that I care much about that. The guy i bought him from said that he had to go to TN and KY to pick up the parents because the breed is better known down in the Appalachians. According to him, these dogs are full of spunk outside, and pretty laid back when inside.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Apparently they're bred for squirrel hunting? Anyone try them on rabbits or maybe on birds?

If this breed is a good as it sounds and seems to be so far, I'm surprised that they're not more common.

Resized_20190801_194354.jpeg

• Like 11

Mountain Feists are a favorite breed for hunting Squirrels. A top Squirrel dog is hard to come by and it takes special traits which are acquired through good breeding to be proficient. Squirrel dogs hunt with all three senses eyes, ears and nose and they also must have the trait to tree. "Full Cry" magazine has a lot of info on Feists and Squirrel hunting.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

Thanks! having a pup in the house is handful. It cracks me up watching the wife chase around after he tinkles on the carpet. Apparently they only grow to about 30 pounds, so not a big breed. In my mind i picture him working a field for pheasant with me an my son right behind him... not sure if that'll actually play out but it's a nice thought.

1 minute ago, airedale said:

Mountain Feists are a favorite breed for hunting Squirrels. A top Squirrel dog is hard to come by and it takes special traits which are acquired through good breeding to be proficient. Squirrel dogs hunt with all three senses eyes, ears and nose and they also have to have the trait to tree. "Full Cry" magazine has a lot of info on Feists and Squirrel hunting.

Al

I've read about their knack and breeding for squirrels. I'll check out the mag for tips and tricks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cory said:

I have never heard of that breed. Doesn’t matter what breed I just love dogs. Except for poodles, Taco Bell dogs and coyotes! Good luck . He’s a good looking dog.

Standard poodles are wonderful dogs....The minatures and  cross ankle biters ( peekapoos, etc.) are an abomination and should not even be considered as " dogs"....

• Like 1

This fella must be awfully quick if he runs after the tree rats. Good looking pup, have fun.

On the flip side, does anyone have a dog they want to part with, I don't feel like paying $1000 for GSP (since I'm a cheap a$$ :-)) any hunting type, I ain't too picky. Dog will be coming to a quiet house with fenced yard, plenty room to run around and someone is always home.

Let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a friend who breeds mountain feists, heck of a nice guy, actually lives in the corner of NJ where PA & NY all meet. I have hunted with his feists and others (in Georgia). He has actually written a book on training feists for squirrels, if you are interested I can tell you how to get in touch with him.

As a rule of thumb they are very good house pets that behave well in the house, but turn it on once they get in the woods. Small dog = small feed bill & small turds in the yard. They are mainly used for treeing squirrels, but will run a raccoon up a tree as well. They range close (unlike a hound or cur, which will take off & leave you in the dust when they get on game).

I want one in the worst way, but unfortunately I'm not set up for another hunting dog. My understanding is that most breeders DON'T want these dogs becoming mainstream housepets (like a lab or golden retriever or cocker spaniel), to keep the line as close to what they are bred for, which is hunting squirrels. Training isn't especially difficult, just teach them the simple commands and keep them in the woods after squirrels, and instinct should kick in if the dog has what it takes.

Good luck!

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1