FYI boaters..

Robhuntandfish

Yet another asshole ruining things for the rest of us. Luckily I already have my boaters course for over 16 years now. Had to get it in CT ages ago. Happily NY accepts it but still this law is totally bogus

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I took the coast guard course over 25 years ago. I have no idea where the card is, but I read in one recent article that they don’t count for this new requirement. My local news channel said there would be an online option for this NYS course.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

Been running boats for more than 45 years. Never has anyone on a boat I was in charge of, or any other boat, gotten so much as a scratch. Besides a fish hook removed once. I learned and studied marine laws, and boating safety, like many others.

There are some who just went and bought a boat, or watercraft, and didn't bother to learn the laws of the water. Don't have a clue. I've seen it more and more over recent years on various bodies of water. And rarely is it a fisherman causing the problems out there. But sure, I do think it's a good idea to take a course, if you are going to be skimming across the water with your family in the new boat. The course has been "voluntarily available" for decades now!!

That said, I think its just the latest big pile of stinking BS, passed down from a goofball governor, who just gets himself off by dictating over other people's lives! I'm just sick of some idiot telling me what I need to do!! I don't need to be saved from myself!! 

• Like 4

Took my course idk 45 years ago, hope, they keep good records .....

Luck has it I have a friend who works the Marine Unit for the Sheriffs dept. and teaches those classes ( he taught my daughter as well as driving her to the class ) so, either I get a new card , or I simply take my chances .

Can you see every boat owner, their wife, and kids all needing the course at once ?  Ha it’ll be harder then finding a hunting course in Oct .

edit by 2025, I either won’t be boating anymore or, out of this state .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

Been running boats for more than 45 years. Never has anyone on a boat I was in charge of, or any other boat, gotten so much as a scratch. Besides a fish hook removed once. I learned and studied marine laws, and boating safety, like many others.
There are some who just went and bought a boat, or watercraft, and didn't bother to learn the laws of the water. Don't have a clue. I've seen it more and more over recent years on various bodies of water. And rarely is it a fisherman causing the problems out there. But sure, I do think it's a good idea to take a course, if you are going to be skimming across the water with your family in the new boat. The course has been "voluntarily available" for decades now!!
That said, I think its just the latest big pile of stinking BS, passed down from a goofball governor, who just gets himself off by dictating over other people's lives! I'm just sick of some idiot telling me what I need to do!! I don't need to be saved from myself!! 
I agree with you totally. Unfortunately, I think there are more careless people out there today. I had a 30 foot sport fisher come into the harbor last weekend, nearly run me down from behind in a no wake zone and force a zodiac to make evasive moves in front of him to avoid a collision. Everyone should take the course as good practice, but I hate more laws mandating it. Sadly, the more idiots out on the water the easier it is for pols to justify the need for the law.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i wonder if the online course will be as intense as the crossbow one is??? lol.  What a joke that is.   Some real idiots out there without a clue, BUt dunno if a class will help common sense.  BUt might clue in people to the fact of getting a BWI or knowing what a red and green buoy mean.  Hell at work we have to take a class on ladders before you can use one. ...

I could be wrong here, since I did not read article, only read the comment provided with the link.. I took my NYS Boaters certificate when I was a teen.. Since you have to have one to legally operate a Wave Runner/Jet Ski, solo. 

23 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Coast Guard course? I think NYS isn't accepting that for this purpose. Hopefully I'm wrong. I read it on an online article the other day, but can't find that now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I could be wrong here, since I did not read article, only read the comment provided with the link.. I took my NYS Boaters certificate when I was a teen.. Since you have to have one to legally operate a Wave Runner/Jet Ski, solo. 

Gotchya. I took a boater's safety course that was put on by the Coast Guard auxiliary. I haven't seen that card/certificate in 20+ years anyways so I guess I can't prove it.

• Like 1

I have taken the course multiple times.  Now they keep records so you do not have to keep taking it every few years.  Did my last one years ago when they first started giving out cards and keeping records.  They required it in NY for riding a jet ski back in 2005 I think that is the year I renewed it. 

From NY boaters web site.

Q. What is the "New York Boating Safety Certificate"?

A. A. The New York Boating Safety Certificate (mistakenly referred to as the New York license) is proof of successful completion of an approved New York Safe Boating course. The Boating Safety Certificate must be carried with you whenever you are operating a powered watercraft to avoid high fines.

Q. Do I have to get the New York Boating Safety Certificate?

A. If you were born on or after May 1, 1996, you are required to successfully complete a state approved course and obtain a boating safety certificate to operate a motorboat. Additionally, all persons, regardless of age, must complete a Boating Safety Education Course in order to operate a PWC on NYS waters. The required boating safety certificate must be carried at all times while operating the boat.

Edited by NFA-ADK

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Gotchya. I took a boater's safety course that was put on by the Coast Guard auxiliary. I haven't seen that card/certificate in 20+ years anyways so I guess I can't prove it.

I believe I have mine located, But it sure isn't legible lol

30 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

What's the story on this? Did he run it up on a jetty?

Yep he got caught up on the rocks or something I just was watching from my kayak was a good show . he put the throttle on full, smoke every where but the but would not move . 

Finally after 10 minutes he got loose.  Boat most of had foam filled hull because it definitely had to had cracked the hull  from those rocks he was on .   Happens all the time LI sound   is full of table rocks they call them  depending on the tides you can go in thinking  you are ok water level drops next thing you no your boats  sitting on a rock lol 

• Like 1

https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boating/documents/RecreationalBoatingReport.pdf

See page 13:  For 2018 Accidents – 203; Injuries – 108; Deaths – 19

https://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/archives-statistical-summaries

Open the “Traffic Safety Statistical Repository” link, open “Crash Reports”, open statewide “Bicycle Crashes”.  So in 2017, there were 6,142 accidents with 6,000 injuries and 48 deaths.

Bicycles are more dangerous than watercraft.  So considering the accident, injury and death rate for bicycles, should not New York State require safety and licensing courses for bicyclists?  Should not all bicycles be registers so New York government knows who has them and where they are?

I tried to help a clueless boater dock his new 33 foot cruiser in one of the transient slips this afternoon. He threw me a stern line and I tried to walk his boat back into the slip. I couldn't believe how weak I was trying to pull his boat until I realized he still had his boat in gear idling forward. Ughh. Almost ended up in the drink before the googin realized his mistake.

I heard later that he has nearly cut another boat in half running the boat on autopilot through fishing grounds.

I am starting to think mandatory classes might be a good idea.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2