FYI boaters..

Robhuntandfish

Im not big on more government interference, but I dont see this as a bad thing. I actually think it should be just like driving a car, you need to take a written test and a "driving" test. Ive been boating for a long time, and Ive never had an accident, but I have seen so many completely clueless idiots out there, that I think everyone should be tested. Alot of what the idiots do is so unsafe, it isnt even funny.

• Like 3

I would have preferred to take a course before boating for the first time. I was 22 bought my first boat from a guy who threw in a slip for the summer in LI Sound. Paid him cash, handed me the keys and he said have fun...that’s it! No lesson, no safety checks, no nothing! When I told him I really had no idea what I was doing or water depth or rules his advice was to get a 12 pack, go real slow and watch the depth finder. If another boat yells at you, pay attention you probably did something wrong. I figured it out eventually but that’s not the right or certainly safe way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh joy, another mark of the beast.

What makes me laugh is thinking any idiots out there will stop being idiots after they go through the course.  Cuomo thinks legislation will fix every problem known to man.  That's how they stopped murders and illegal drug use.

Better to catch them doing stupid things, then fine them big time and remove their right to operate a boat.

It's all about control my friends.  There is nothing the government doesn't feel it has the right to inject itself into and tell everyone how to live.

$10 fee today.  Soon, renewal every 5 years to come with fees going up every couple of years.  It's a given.

Edited by Rattler

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

Oh joy, another mark of the beast.

What makes me laugh is thinking any idiots out there will stop being idiots after they go through the course.  Cuomo thinks legislation will fix every problem known to man.  That's how they stopped murders and illegal drug use.

Better to catch them doing stupid things, then fine them big time and remove their right to operate a boat.

It's all about control my friends.  There is nothing the government doesn't feel it has the right to inject itself into and tell everyone how to live.

$10 fee today.  Soon, renewal every 5 years to come with fees going up every couple of years.  It's a given.

Give me a break. Mark of the beast? Sometimes you guys are just plain ridiculous. Do you think its a good idea to hand someone that has never driven before keys to a car and say "have fun, youll figure it out" as they pull onto public roads? Would requiring a license and testing stop every idiot from being an idiot? Of course not, but a little education goes a long way for most people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Give me a break. Mark of the beast? Sometimes you guys are just plain ridiculous. Do you think its a good idea to hand someone that has never driven before keys to a car and say "have fun, youll figure it out" as they pull onto public roads? Would requiring a license and testing stop every idiot from being an idiot? Of course not, but a little education goes a long way for most people.

cant tell you how many times ive been asked- is it like being on the road do you keep right?  Or what are those Buoys for?  Whats the red cord on the boat keys?  Yeah prob a good idea and it cant hurt at least . 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Lighten up WNY.  It's called being facetious, with the emphasis on the feces.

Driving a boat is not like a car, because there are no roads, intersections, highways, on ramps or stop signs.  The rules of boat operation on the water are not as confined.  

What is NY going to do about out of state boaters that run in their waters?  Nothing.  They can't.

Has driver education done a lot to reduce the carnage we see on the roads with cars?  No.  It can't.  Unless people who do stupid things are held accountable for the damage they do with some pretty severe consequences, nothing will improve.  All that's going to happen now is, we hand idiots a license and they now feel they are licensed to be idiots.

It's just another permission slip now required by the state to do something that used to be part of your freedom to do what you want.  Another area where we give up our freedom because some people abuse theirs and are not held accountable for it.  Another case of responsible people being made to account for the irresponsible.  Another area where your freedom is now a government provided privilege with a fee.  Another case of citizens willingly giving up their freedoms for the promise of some security, when there actually isn't any.  This is how our freedoms and liberties disappear.  We willingly give them up, with no chance of ever getting them back.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

So should we get rid of hunter safety training courses, too?   It is pretty much universal that new hunters are required to take a training course, so I don't see what the uproar over boater's having to take one is all about?  Hunter safety courses most definitely helped bring down hunting accidents rates compared to the old days. 

Which pastime has a greater chance of an accident occurring?  I would think the odds are greater with boating.  Plus you are on the water which has it's own set of safety precautions compared to having your feet on the ground.   I can't stand Cuomo, neither, but a little bit of safety training can't hurt anyone here.  

Edited by steve863
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Never ask me to drive a boat. I have zero clue what any of the buoys mean, no idea which side is starboard and which side is port but I do know not to make a wake in a no wake zone. You drive i'll pay for gas and bring beer! 

Port has 4 letters so does the word left . Now you'll never forget.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rattler said:

Lighten up WNY.  It's called being facetious, with the emphasis on the feces.

Driving a boat is not like a car, because there are no roads, intersections, highways, on ramps or stop signs.  The rules of boat operation on the water are not as confined.  

What is NY going to do about out of state boaters that run in their waters?  Nothing.  They can't.

Has driver education done a lot to reduce the carnage we see on the roads with cars?  No.  It can't.  Unless people who do stupid things are held accountable for the damage they do with some pretty severe consequences, nothing will improve.  All that's going to happen now is, we hand idiots a license and they now feel they are licensed to be idiots.

It's just another permission slip now required by the state to do something that used to be part of your freedom to do what you want.  Another area where we give up our freedom because some people abuse theirs and are not held accountable for it.  Another case of responsible people being made to account for the irresponsible.  Another area where your freedom is now a government provided privilege with a fee.  Another case of citizens willingly giving up their freedoms for the promise of some security, when there actually isn't any.  This is how our freedoms and liberties disappear.  We willingly give them up, with no chance of ever getting them back.

Driving a boat, like driving a car, is not a right. There are too many safety issues for there not to be some type of education. You are never going to make anything completely perfect, idiots will be idiots, but just telling everyone to figure it out on their own, isnt a good idea. I think that you underestimate alot of people, education goes further than you are giving credit for. If you think the roads are bad now with drivers, imagine if they just handed people cars and told them to figure everything out on their own with zero education ahead of time.

44 minutes ago, steve863 said:

So should we get rid of hunter safety training courses, too?   It is pretty much universal that new hunters are required to take a training course, so I don't see what the uproar over boater's having to take one is all about?  Hunter safety courses most definitely helped bring down hunting accidents rates compared to the old days. 

Which pastime has a greater chance of an accident occurring?  I would think the odds are greater with boating.  Plus you are on the water which has it's own set of safety precautions compared to having your feet on the ground.   I can't stand Cuomo, neither, but a little bit of safety training can't hurt anyone here.  

exactly

12 hours ago, steve863 said:

I'm constantly hearing complaints there are too few classes available and they fill up fast.  That discourages people from getting a hunting license.  Look how the number of hunting licenses sold every year has declined and continues to do so.  Mandated classes have a lot to do with it.  Are they a good thing to go to?  Yes.  Can they do damage to the hunting population?  Yes. 

Are hunting accident rates really down when you figure in the per capita number of hunters today?  Percentage wise, I believe the accident rate is the same as it always was, just fewer hunters out there now, putting in far fewer days afield.

If killing someone when hunting was considered murder and severely prosecuted, as opposed to passing it off as an accident, I think you would likely never see a killing in the hunting field.

I'm not one to applaud obstacles put in people's way in order for them to exercise their freedoms.  It's very easy for the powers that be to eliminate your freedoms when they control the means of allowing you to enjoy them.

Let people enjoy their freedoms and punish them severely if they abuse that freedom.  That would go a lot farther in reducing the idiots out there than any government mandated "education" program ever will.  It also insures all idiots are held equally accountable. 

One other thing to consider here.  Notice how pistol permits in NYC are granted to the rich, connected and privileged, but denied to everyone else?  That's an issue that always arises whenever the government gets to control who has freedom and who doesn't.  

If you don't see the threat in these government mandated infringements, it's not that it isn't there.  You just don't see it.  That's how all of these things come to be.  They are sold to the public with smoke and mirrors and nobody ever asks, "What could possibly go wrong?"

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

I'm constantly hearing complaints there are too few classes available and they fill up fast.  That discourages people from getting a hunting license.  Look how the number of hunting licenses sold every year has declined and continues to do so.  Mandated classes have a lot to do with it.  Are they a good thing to go to?  Yes.  Can they do damage to the hunting population?  Yes. 

Are hunting accident rates really down when you figure in the per capita number of hunters today?  Percentage wise, I believe the accident rate is the same as it always was, just fewer hunters out there now, putting in far fewer days afield.

If killing someone when hunting was considered murder and severely prosecuted, as opposed to passing it off as an accident, I think you would likely never see a killing in the hunting field.

I'm not one to applaud obstacles put in people's way in order for them to exercise their freedoms.  It's very easy for the powers that be to eliminate your freedoms when they control the means of allowing you to enjoy them.

Let people enjoy their freedoms and punish them severely if they abuse that freedom.  That would go a lot farther in reducing the idiots out there than any government mandated "education" program ever will.  It also insures all idiots are held equally accountable. 

One other thing to consider here.  Notice how pistol permits in NYC are granted to the rich, connected and privileged, but denied to everyone else?  That's an issue that always arises whenever the government gets to control who has freedom and who doesn't.  

If you don't see the threat in these government mandated infringements, it's not that it isn't there.  You just don't see it.  That's how all of these things come to be.  They are sold to the public with smoke and mirrors and nobody ever asks, "What could possibly go wrong?"

Don't the people who share the woods with hunters get a say ? I for one don't want to share the woods with someone who opted to skip the hunter safety course . I'm not so sure this boater course is in the well being of other boaters as much as data mining and a money grab. I'm not a boater ,if the boating community got together and decided that training was necessary for everyone ,then maybe it is. 

The mother of a young girl who was killed in a boating accident lobbied Albany to pass this legislation.  But I suspect she was asked to do it by lawmakers who wanted this imposed on everyone.  I'm pretty sure the boating community isn't very happy about it.  It makes everyone pay for the actions of one reckless boater.

BTW, many older hunters have never had to take the hunter safety course.  If they've been hunting for 50 or more years without incident, I guess they didn't need to.

Edited by Rattler

49 minutes ago, Rattler said:

The mother of a young girl who was killed in a boating accident lobbied Albany to pass this legislation.  But I suspect she was asked to do it by lawmakers who wanted this imposed on everyone.  I'm pretty sure the boating community isn't very happy about it.  It makes everyone pay for the actions of one reckless boater.

BTW, many older hunters have never had to take the hunter safety course.  If they've been hunting for 50 or more years without incident, I guess they didn't need to.

I can't remember the last time a hunting accident was caused by a kid hunter ,it's always the older guys who do the dumb shit.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

I'm not one for over-regulation and government overreach at all, but.. I grew up knowing I needed to pass a written test and driving test to drive a car, and I did the same thing again when I went for my motorcycle license when I was around 20. That all seemed legitimate. I can remember buying my first boat in my early 20's and being surprised that there was no requirement or proficiency test needed to operate a boat. I was lucky to know experienced boaters that taught me a few things and got me going in the beginning.

I voluntarily took the USCG safety course a few years later (I think the motivation at the time was an insurance rate discount) and picked up quite a few pieces of knowledge. I was glad I took it. Jet skis were new and rare when I started boating. Now they're plentiful and pretty inexpensive for an entry into watercraft. I have no problem taking the course - hope they go forward with the online version, and I'll target a rainy day to get through it.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

You know there will come a day when all gun owners will be required to take a safety test as well.  It's coming and it won't be possible to object, especially when many gun owners will support it as a good idea.  It's all good, "If it can save just one life."

Funny how that saying doesn't apply to CC in so many places.

Living in a free society does not mean that it will be a free for all for everyone, where everyone could do what they please without any sort of rules and regulations.  There will NEVER be a society like that, I can guarantee you that.  So, just because someone thinks it's their God given right to take a dump wherever they want, even on a public street or on someones doorstep we should accept that?  Sorry, I won't buy that.  That's all I will say and won't spend anymore time discussing this.

• Like 1