Ghost History..

LET EM GROW

I'm not one for sharing pictures in large groups for obvious reasons, but I like this group and this dude is no longer on Earth..

Since the old boy was taken Last fall... Ill put up some pics, and a brief history with this guy... I call this buck The Ghost, Because He hated cameras! And was very seldomly seen by anyone unless after dark, you could catch him all around when the sun goes down.. If he found a camera after he turned 4.5, you would be lucky to ever get his picture from that exact spot ever again... guessing somewhere he had a bad experience with one..  I have all his pictures since 2010 when he was a 1.5yr old. I passed him as a 3.5yr old in 2012 because I had a giant buck that was very patternable.. Few years go by, still tons pf pics, I finally get my crack at him again, 2017.. I played the wind right, chose the stand that best fit the conditions for that part of season.. an hour before light he shows himself, rakes a tree, makes a scrape and hes headed to an open lane.. I range it.. dial my sight draw and release as i stop him in his tracks where I thought i had ranged.. Ranged 42 yards.. he was actually 34.. his course must have changed slightly. Hypodermic touched a couple hairs over his back.. and he slowly walked away not knowing what happened..   It must not have bugged him too much because he came right back to the same spot couple weeks later scoping out does like he had that night I missed my opportunity.... To end the story He was taken in 2018 during gun about a mile away as a 9.5yr old slob, biggest body deer I think Ive seen....  Pretty upset i missed my opportunity at 1 of the 2 bucks I had been chasing for so many years.. I was also, happy to see someone took him and let me know he was done with.. A new slammer can now grow in his beds hopefully.. maybe one with a little less knowledge and experience evading the hunters stomping around would be great.. 

Here's a few pics accumulated over the years.. The only year I'm missing him is 2013 as a 4.5yr old.. I only ran 1 camera for a month or so ... The split pictures are back to back years in order. 

I know alot of people don't believe it when they hear someone say they have an ancient whitetail they've been chasing for years... and for anyone whos second guessed me.. lol Heres the proof.. 

1.5 yr old.JPG

2.5 yr old.JPG

3.5 yr old.JPG

ghost 2014-15.PNG

ghost 2016-17.PNG

IMG_0051.JPG

ghost2018.PNG

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 14

Like the story, had one I named "Big Balls".  Actively hunted him for a couple years, then the next year I had a kid, and we had this perfect stretch of weather during the rut...... and an acquaintance got him.  But!  I still get to say hi to him mounted on his wall.  The neck on this dude........

Big Balls 2010.JPG

Big Balls At his Peak October 2012.JPG

Big Balls Got Bigger Nov 2011.JPG

• Like 4

On 8/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, crappyice said:

Cool story Grrow...any pics of him after he was killed or mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pic I have of him deceased. Group of guys way out back got him. Definitely down hill from his years as a 4.5-7.5 yr old. He hardly has any tine length. I also forgot to mention that in March of 2016 I lost my father, my best friend, my hunting partner in a bad car accident, the week after he had passed.. he dropped his right side in my driveway at camp. Almost like it was a sign of some sort. 

IMG950040-1.jpg

IMG_1458488751589.jpg

• Like 8

Like the story, had one I named "Big Balls".  Actively hunted him for a couple years, then the next year I had a kid, and we had this perfect stretch of weather during the rut...... and an acquaintance got him.  But!  I still get to say hi to him mounted on his wall.  The neck on this dude........
1866606968_BigBalls2010.thumb.JPG.867396ec08f92856ef6f9dce20cf9bfb.JPG
1804094393_BigBallsAthisPeakOctober2012.thumb.JPG.3e8c83fee959714ff854d5bd06bad5e2.JPG
355442874_BigBallsGotBiggerNov2011.thumb.JPG.6abb6f489463bd9caa6ab192b1d5de3a.JPG
He does have quite big balls

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I named "Big Balls".

He's the opposite of this guy I took a few years ago. He had no balls. Weren't "undescended", just never had them. DEC happened to be doing a check at the processor when I brought him and I pointed it out to the  biologist. He didn't think much of it.

Had him on camera but laid first eyes on him 20 mins before this pic.

IMG_2907.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

On 8/9/2019 at 8:39 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

cool story and nice buck!

i had one we named - Dark Knight- never once saw him or got a pic of him in the daylight.  But had pics of him every season for a few years til last year.  Always wondered if another hunter got him or age etc.  Would have loved to see him in the stand. 

Dark knight 2.JPG

Dark Knight rises.JPG

If you were watching him in 7F, I may have your answer

• Like 3

Didn't this happen a few years ago with another member? He was after a slob a symmetrical 7X7 and some one on here shared a pic of the 14pt harvested.   Very cool when stories like this happens. Sucks for the others who were after the same buck but cool to see both peoples stories of the same buck on here.

Edited by Red

25 minutes ago, Red said:

Didn't this happen a few years ago with another member? He was after a slob a symmetrical 7X7 and some one on here shared a pic of the 14pt harvested.   Very cool when stories like this happens. Sucks for the others who were after the same buck but cool to see both peoples stories of the same buck on here.

Speaking for myself, I was just happy big balls was harvested by a guy I know hunts ethically, and with a bow to boot!

Would have been depressing to see him dead in the road.

• Like 3

Great story.

My monster I never had pictures . Many encounters over 5 years. Only ever had one shot but there was another oblivious  hunter  on the other side of him . He ended up getting hit by a car . People that hit him didn't have a clue what a nice buck he was . Trooper ended up with him . He had the rack repaired when he had him mounted.

I occasionally  still have dreams about him . My hunting partner and I called him Crusher. That was 30 years ago. Biggest buck I ever seen on the hoof. 

• Like 3