Pulled the trigger on a deer rifle

Savage Axis 7mm-08. On sale at Cabelas for $300.  22” barrel versus 20” they also had.  Gun will be shared with daughter when we’re together. Bought this scope from Dinsdale over the winter knowing I was going to buy a rifle. Bought Vortex rings and will maybe put scope that came with it on her NIB Ruger 10/.22 30th anniversary   Axis 2 has better trigger I know but too good a price to not buy this one. I could always put a better trigger on later if we don’t like this one 

2FBB9E66-52ED-4BFF-ADAD-320E9DECCD2F.jpeg

E0994C6F-906C-43E9-A783-770C58565388.jpeg

• Like 30

For the money that is a really good rifle Jay!! When we went to rifle here in 4H a few years ago, I bought that same exact gun, in 7mm/08. It shoots very good groups out to 250 yards and sub moa at 100. Most everything I ran through it shot good too. I settled on Federal Premium Nosler BT in 240 gr. Google Axis trigger spring!! For $20 you can replace the trigger spring, and go from about 7lbs to just a touch over 3lbs trigger pull. It made a huge difference. And you can do it yourself in less than 15 min!!! Also, it is SAFE!!!

As far a 7mm/08 performance on deer? I've shot four bucks with it. Total distance traveled by all four....zero yards!

It is now my grandsons rifle as I upgraded a couple years ago.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

You certainly will not be disappointed with the chambering...

Upon researching with you guys this chamber sounds perfect for whitetail and allowing a smidge more range and tiny bit more room for user error than a .243   Recoil manageable for petite daughter ok too  

• Like 2

Not to long ago, I never heard of 7m08 . Now my daughter and I each own a Savage 7m08 , I absolutely love that caliber.  My .270 I bought when we went rifle just sits . Every deer myself or Kathy shot with them ,DRT of course The distances were 10-40 yards .

TF I bought some reduced recoil loads for Kathy to try this year, to make it even softer , research shows it’s still a good deer killer , we’ll see . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Not to long ago, I never heard of 7m08 . Now my daughter and I each own a Savage 7m08 , I absolutely love that caliber.  My .270 I bought when we went rifle just sits . Every deer myself or Kathy shot with them ,DRT of course The distances were 10-40 yards .

TF I bought some reduced recoil loads for Kathy to try this year, to make it even softer , research shows it’s still a good deer killer , we’ll see . 

Buddy who’s paralyzed on left side due to car accident shoots the reduced recoil.  Encore single shot , films , reloads , films    I watched him from 300 yards away shoot 3 doe in 7 minutes this last year and video to prove.  What a great round.  I gutted all 3 of his in less than 20! Minutes and had back to his house and on his truck.   Two fell over DRT , one ran 10 yards. Daughter and I very excited to “ send it “!

• Like 8

Now that Kathy switched jobs at the hospital, no nights, every week end and one day mid week off, I’m hoping to get her out a bit more .

When I was working our two weird schedules never lined up , last year was ok , but nights killed her and needed a day or two after to rest up, so, still opportunities to go we’re few .

encouraging to hear about those loads .

Mounting a rail and red dot on it soon , when she got scoped, she wouldn’t shoot it again, preferred her slug gun with open sights , would take the kick over fear of scope . Once I mount the red dot forward ,should be sweet .

Her shots should be pretty much bow range anyway .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Team Hoyt said:

I have 2 of the savage 7mm 08 1 for the wife and 1 for myself. We both love them. Good choice.

23 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Sweet gun TF! I'm a big Savage fan and have had nothing but good results with them. My wife has been shooting a 7mm 08 for a few years now. She's taken 4 so far with it IIRC. They've all only taken a step or two. I think you're going to like it!

what ammo you like and having success with ?

23 hours ago, grampy said:

For the money that is a really good rifle Jay!! When we went to rifle here in 4H a few years ago, I bought that same exact gun, in 7mm/08. It shoots very good groups out to 250 yards and sub moa at 100. Most everything I ran through it shot good too. I settled on Federal Premium Nosler BT in 240 gr. Google Axis trigger spring!! For $20 you can replace the trigger spring, and go from about 7lbs to just a touch over 3lbs trigger pull. It made a huge difference. And you can do it yourself in less than 15 min!!! Also, it is SAFE!!!

As far a 7mm/08 performance on deer? I've shot four bucks with it. Total distance traveled by all four....zero yards!

It is now my grandsons rifle as I upgraded a couple years ago.

spring ordered

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

spring ordered

Perfect!

It's the best, and most economical upgrade you can make to the Axis. Besides replacing the glass, which you have nicely done with that Leupy!

It won't be as crisp as say a Timney of course. But at only $20, it will be a BIG improvement over the stock trigger. 

Looking forward to the range report and pictures!

• Like 1