Pulled the trigger on a deer rifle

8 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

what ammo you like and having success with ?

I just looked in the cabinet. Sighted it in with Remmy Core Lokt 140 gr, also shot Fusion 140's, and American Whitetail 139's. She's shot all her deer with the Whitetails. If I remember, the gun shot them all pretty tight. I think we just had more of the Whitetails. I just shot hers two weeks ago. Took a fouling shot at a steel target and then one shot at paper at 200. It was an inch high and an inch right I think. Hers isn't a Savage, its a Ruger American. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Ammo I’ve purchased so far. 

@TreeGuy dropped in the new trigger spring for me. Great improvement for sure.   Gotta get it on paper next. 

B8DCECB0-2F70-4F03-BF75-7EBF008719CB.jpeg

I've run both of those through my Axis, and they both shot well. The trigger spring certainly is a big improvement for accuracy. Try some Federal Premium ammo too. Looking forward to your range results Jay!

120gn Barnes Ttsx is about as good of a load as you can get for the 7-08 very little recoil my 11 yr old daughter shoots her single shot cva with no problems. When I bought it I got a couple boxes of the reduced recoil and ran out of them and she’s been shooting the Barnes since and didn’t notice a difference. That 120gn copper bullet performs as good or better as any 140gn lead bullet I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

120gn Barnes Ttsx is about as good of a load as you can get for the 7-08 very little recoil my 11 yr old daughter shoots her single shot cva with no problems. When I bought it I got a couple boxes of the reduced recoil and ran out of them and she’s been shooting the Barnes since and didn’t notice a difference. That 120gn copper bullet performs as good or better as any 140gn lead bullet I’ve tried.

I'll have to pick up a box of those too. little nervous about getting gun shy . She's shot low brass 20 gauge field loads out of her youth 20 pump and slugs so thinking this round will be far less than the slugs in recoil . never wanted her to punish her shooting stout turkey loads on paper and yet to get a bird under her gun . Watched buddy shoot 3 doe in minutes with reduced recoil loads and they piled up. Half ish the recoil and reduced velocity by 500 fps or so I've read. No accuracy difference/elevation  to speak of by switching between reduced and non .

TF I bought some reduced recoil loads for Kathy to try this year, to make it even softer , research shows it’s still a good deer killer , we’ll see . 

Gonna make the scope eye a little less painful?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had scope mounted with her eye relief in mind for just that.

99% of getting scoped is a crappy scope without enough eye relief and someone that doesn’t know how to properly shoot. You have the scope part covered with that glass, make sure pulls it into her shoulder and there shouldn’t be any problems!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I love that bullet in my 7MM08....I used to shoot 140 Nosler BTs....Switched to the Barnes 120  and it kills just as well with more penetration and less meat damage...

• Like 2

that thing will be a dream compared to a shotgun. hard to imagine a rifle shooting that well for that price but they do. fit and finish isn't what it used to be in rifles but they perform just as well. on a separate note i hope the 10/22 likes that ammo you picked up. best of luck getting her dialed in.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, hunter said:

Good luck. I borrowed my co hunter's 7-08 when I had trouble with my 300 win mag to take my moose and it worked well. Capable of more than deer.

About 100  years ago, a fellow named WDM Bell  killed a few hundred elephants with a 7x57, which is essentialy ballistically  equivalent to the 7MM08.....

• Like 1

About 100  years ago, a fellow named WDM Bell  killed a few hundred elephants with a 7x57, which is essentialy ballistically  equivalent to the 7MM08.....

If I had to pick 1 cartridge for the rest of my life and it couldn’t be .358 diameter it would have to be a 7mm-08, I’ve always been amazed how it kills critters way beyond its numbers. It’s hands down in the running for the best do all cartridge.

• Like 2

If I had to pick 1 cartridge for the rest of my life and it couldn’t be .358 diameter it would have to be a 7mm-08, I’ve always been amazed how it kills critters way beyond its numbers. It’s hands down in the running for the best do all cartridge.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'll have to pick up a box of those too. little nervous about getting gun shy . She's shot low brass 20 gauge field loads out of her youth 20 pump and slugs so thinking this round will be far less than the slugs in recoil . never wanted her to punish her shooting stout turkey loads on paper and yet to get a bird under her gun . Watched buddy shoot 3 doe in minutes with reduced recoil loads and they piled up. Half ish the recoil and reduced velocity by 500 fps or so I've read. No accuracy difference/elevation  to speak of by switching between reduced and non .

Its going to be way less recoil than a 20 guage so you dont have to be nervous about that at all

• Like 1

Ammo I’ve purchased so far. 
[mention=1547]TreeGuy[/mention] dropped in the new trigger spring for me. Great improvement for sure.   Gotta get it on paper next. 
B8DCECB0-2F70-4F03-BF75-7EBF008719CB.thumb.jpeg.43d2d67818fd079c0b7d99646f9772d6.jpeg
If anyone buys this rifle, I 100% recommend that trigger spring package. I can tell without 1 round down range it will be a shooter.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

If anyone buys this rifle, I 100% recommend that trigger spring package. I can tell without 1 round down range it will be a shooter.

Hunting buddy has this in a 308.  Trying to get him to do trigger spring.  I fired his at the range and that's a heavy trigger for sure. I think it hurts his accuracy and  he isn't the best shot to begin with. 

Hunting buddy has this in a 308.  Trying to get him to do trigger spring.  I fired his at the range and that's a heavy trigger for sure. I think it hurts his accuracy and  he isn't the best shot to begin with. 
Send it. 6 min install

I put the trigger spring in that grampy reccommended about 2 yrs ago now i think and this helped tremendously.  I think it started breaking at about 3.5 lbs instead about 8.5 lbs as it came from factory.  Groups get way better and i stopped "throwing" a round every now and again.

• Like 1