How many Hunt alone ?

JR60

9 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I hunt alone alot. Every single time I have shot a deer alone my dad has shown up to help/enjoy with me. 

X2.usually call dad up and let him know i may need some help.usually have the dragging part done by time parents/dad gets there n enjoy the rest of the kill with em.the last 2 years ive had to refresh him on how to gut a deer haha!

• Like 1

I never hunt alone. There is always someone out at the property to hunt with. I really like the walk into the woods and the moment before you split ways you give the quite whisper of “good luck” or “shoot strait”.

Besides no one on this site really hunts alone unless you don’t check the forum from the tree stand which is just blasphemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I never hunt alone. There is always someone out at the property to hunt with. I really like the walk into the woods and the moment before you split ways you give the quite whisper of “good luck” or “shoot strait”.

Besides no one on this site really hunts alone unless you don’t check the forum from the tree stand which is just blasphemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This past season i had one sneak up without hearing it while i was checking the live from the woods thread!!!!!

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

I hunt alone almost all of the time.  Gets creepy at times behind my house, not going to lie...

I'm the complete opposite. When I walk in to the dark woods alone, a feeling of peace and tranquillity washes over me. It's when I feel most alive. All my senses are working at peak.

I'll kneel down, take a few moments to become one with the woods, and my hunters spirit. Then slowly make my way to where I'm going. Without a light.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm the complete opposite. When I walk in to the dark woods alone, a feeling of peace and tranquillity washes over me. It's when I feel most alive. All my senses are working at peak.

I'll kneel down, take a few moments to become one with the woods, and my hunters spirit. Then slowly make my way to where I'm going. Without a light.

I do most of my turkey hunting from a blind now, but for many years I  did a   run & gun ( or rather walk and talk)  hunt, often before work in the morning...There was never a time  I felt so free as when I listened to the woods wake up from the  top of a ridge far from the road....I used to think about how much other people were missing who were still in bed....I always felt I could hunt much more effectively by myself... Having another person along  creates the need to socialize, and it takes away from the hunt, at least if it is a mobile hunt...Sitting in a blind  is a bit different... Still,  I hunt solo about 95% of the time, and that is when I am happiest...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I do most of my turkey hunting from a blind now, but for many years I  did a   run & gun ( or rather walk and talk)  hunt, often before work in the morning...There was never a time  I felt so free as when I listened to the woods wake up from the  top of a ridge far from the road....I used to think about how much other people were missing who were still in bed....I always felt I could hunt much more effectively by myself... Having another person along  creates the need to socialize, and it takes away from the hunt, at least if it is a mobile hunt...Sitting in a blind  is a bit different... Still,  I hunt solo about 95% of the time, and that is when I am happiest...

Well said both you and grampy.have honestly noticed the difference in the past years the difference it makes hunting alone.yes i miss my hunting partners(family) n wouldnt trade it for anything but i do see alot more activity and movement in general.

knowing im the only one in the woods.my movements and noise is the only noise in that section of woods(parcel i hunt).seems to make a big difference as it used to be 5 guys in stands to just me

I hunt alone about 95 % of the time.    I have killed about 75 % of my deer on our home farm.  When I get one at home, I haul the carcass back to our garage "butcher shop" by myself (with a tractor).   The last few years, I have been killing more of them off of our farm, either at my folks place (on the opposite end of WMU 9F), or at my in-laws place up in the Adirondacks (WMU 6F).   Although I always hunt alone at those places, it is nice to have my dad or my father in law available with their ATV'e or tractors, just a cell-phone call away.   By the time I get the deer gutted, they are usually on the scene.   Although neither of them still hunts, they really enjoy helping out with the recoveries.   

I have invited friends along on hunts on our farm on occasion, but I do not enjoy those hunts as much as those when I am alone.   I still cringe when I remember a buddy from work texting me on opening day morning a couple years ago, that he had a buck down.  It got back up and escaped, as he was texting.   Why he did not use that finger on his trigger, rather than his smart-phone, is beyond my understanding.  There were 4 more 12 gauge slugs in the magazine of his Remington 870 as that buck got back up from where it was downed in an open field, and disappeared into heavy cover.   We searched for it for hours (not my idea of a fun opening day), and I was out till midnight trying to find it with "bloodglow", to no avail (would much rather have got a good night's sleep).  When I am alone, I can apply all of my concentration to the task at hand.  I wonder how many deer owe their lives to a smart phone ?    

99%  of the time for most of my life-time  of hunting.

3 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

This past season i had one sneak up without hearing it while i was checking the live from the woods thread!!!!!

Yikes, me too! Texting someone about seeing nothing, perfect morning, is rut on,  blah, blah. Look-up from my stand in the thicket and there's a nice mature buck at 12yrds walking from behind me.. broadside on my right side. Quickly disappears into the brush before I could get phone down and bow up. After 3-5min of cursing myself, WTFs - I texted again saying I just screwed-up, blah, blah. Don't I look-up and same buck had circled around & comes back thru to my left at <25yrds. Lesson learned - NO more fooling with my phone unless I'm in a more open woods hunting situation!!!!

• Like 2

I find when I hunt alone, I'm more focused.  I concentrate on hunting, seeing sign, being quiet, listening for the slightest sounds, spotting movement, seeing an antler or an eye, smelling a deer and taking in everything around me 100% of the time.  I just can't do that as well when I'm hunting with someone.  It is a distraction and always figures into the demands of the day's hunt.  I'll usually drop off a buddy at a stand and go on to my stand afterwards.  That gives me a chance to forget about them while I hunt on.  Especially if I'm going to still hunt that day.  I really enjoy the hunting skill set part of hunting.

I'm sure I would enjoy participating in a good drive.  I have hunted in groups that had strategically placed stands, but never felt the same level of hunting skill was needed to be successful.  I've always felt patience and good shooting skill was needed in those situations, but not necessarily a whole lot of hunting skill, beyond the scouting and placement part of it.

Being able to go one on one with your quarry, on their terms, on their turf and with equal advantage, is what I think makes one a good hunter.  It's just my experience that it's very hard to do that as a team and even harder to find someone else capable of doing it with you as a team.

I enjoy a nice social hunt too, but when I'm hunting alone, I'm seriously hunting.

Edited by Rattler

I  usually hunt alone. I have hunting buddies, but we have a tough time getting together and live a fair piece apart. Lucky for me, I have a modest camp surrounded by state land, which is productive for me. The good thing about it is there is not a big deer population, and it would be easy to over shoot the area, and I can be choosy. Also, I don't have to worry about who goes where.

Luckily for me, I get around pretty good, but have an ATV for hauling deer out. Cell phones don't usually work where I am, but my wife knows around where I will be. I keep the tree stands in good shape, and don't over do it. I don't sweat hobgoblins....several times I have had....weird experiences, but leave it at that. 

11 hours ago, BigVal said:

I hunt alone alot. Every single time I have shot a deer alone my dad has shown up to help/enjoy with me. 

Yeah this is true for me for all of bow season.  Last year I bought a crossbow for the old coot but I think he took it out once.  This year I'm building him a ritzy raised box blind he can be comfortable in, see if that gets him out in the woods more often.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grampy said:

I wish i was like that here behind my house.  I don’t get the “feeling watched” feeling elsewhere that I hunt, just here.  Weird to me....I have no issue on my 5 acres here, but once I am on the other 80 I get that feeling progressively, the further I go, one area I won’t even walk through alone, I pretty much become nervous.  I have been in the woods all my life with ny dad, been hunting over 20 yrs, so its weird to me to have these issues here.  I must sound like a nutjob goon lol, just being honest though.

• Like 1

Prefer hunting with the guys, but the guys have pretty much left the area, so I have gone out alone. I do restrict myself to ground hunting when alone, and do not stray too far from camp, in case I actually harvest a deer, so as to shorten the drag. I don't want the little lady at home to worry too much.

I think of my hunting buddies and the good times we had, while sipping a merlot after a day in the field. Times have changed.

I’m addicted to hearing the woods wake up. People can tell me until they’re blue in the face about how much better turkey hunting is at 10am, I’m still sitting in the woods in the pitch dark by myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4