How many Hunt alone ?

JR60

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’m addicted to hearing the woods wake up. People can tell me until they’re blue in the face about how much better turkey hunting is at 10am, I’m still sitting in the woods in the pitch dark by myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fun fact: don't think I've ever  Spring turkey hunted when I haven't been sitting before sunrise

42 minutes ago, old man river said:

You're not weird. I have a strong feeling plenty of hunters have had a feeling of being watched or something could be close-- Bear or another human being. 

Its because you are being watched by all the animals around you in the woods  and sometimes on public land other hunters who don't have orange on or take it off when they get to there spot . 

My preferred method of hunting Deer and Squirrels is still hunting so almost all of the time when after those two species I am by myself. I do enjoy getting together with family and friends at Deer camp once in awhile mostly for the food concoctions, tale tales, ball busting and comradery. 

Coon, Rabbit, Bird and Waterfowl hunting can be a lot of fun and productive sharing the experience with trusted hunting partners.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, old man river said:

You're not weird. I have a strong feeling plenty of hunters have had a feeling of being watched or something could be close-- Bear or another human being. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Its because you are being watched by all the animals around you in the woods  and sometimes on public land other hunters who don't have orange on or take it off when they get to there spot . 

All kidding aside, I think its because here at home the woods is super thick dense with old growth, and pockets of thick small pine.  Basically you can not see far at all at times, not like a hardwoods area, so my mind must play tricks on me :dontknow:

4 minutes ago, Bionic said:

All kidding aside, I think its because here at home the woods is super thick dense with old growth, and pockets of thick small pine.  Basically you can not see far at all at times, not like a hardwoods area, so my mind must play tricks on me :dontknow:

You ever have this happen to you , you start staring off in the distance for a deer to show up for hours and hours and after a while your mind starts playing tricks on you ,  the rocks the stumps in the distance  start to look like deer . Lol 

I hunt and fish alone got tired of always waiting for others.I do miss hunting with my older brother.We bow hunted for years until he moved to Florida.I've been to so many outfitter camps and party boat fishing where I walked in alone and left with friends. 

5 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

You ever have this happen to you , you start staring off in the distance for a deer to show up for hours and hours and after a while your mind starts playing tricks on you ,  the rocks the stumps in the distance  start to look like deer . Lol 

I think we all turn stumps into monkeys, and rocks into kangaroos out there after so many hours lol.  I have a stump i see from my house, that looks like a bear all the time, looks black, was an old sheared off blown down stump.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I think we all turn stumps into monkeys, and rocks into kangaroos out there after so many hours lol.  I have a stump i see from my house, that looks like a bear all the time, looks black, was an old sheared off blown down stump.  

Yep the dreaded bear stump seen them a few times anything black or dark brown off in the distance look at it long enough  lol 

Edited by Hunter007

And one time  this happened to me I thought I was hallucinating again  from staring out in the distance to long , saw black object moving in the woods off in the distance at first I thought it was just a stump and I was having one of those moments , then as it got closer i thought it was  black dog finally as it got even  closer I realized it was a bear for real but by the time I raised the gun it  went behind some trees and gone . That  is the first and only time I ever saw a bear in the woods so it was unexpected made me hesitate .

Edited by Hunter007

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

I wish i was like that here behind my house.  I don’t get the “feeling watched” feeling elsewhere that I hunt, just here.  Weird to me....I have no issue on my 5 acres here, but once I am on the other 80 I get that feeling progressively, the further I go, one area I won’t even walk through alone, I pretty much become nervous.  I have been in the woods all my life with ny dad, been hunting over 20 yrs, so its weird to me to have these issues here.  I must sound like a nutjob goon lol, just being honest though.

No, you're definitely not a nut job....lol. But maybe some if you will think I am after reading this though? 

My grandma was full blood native American. And when I was a kid, she and her brothers (my great uncles) taught me some of the "old ways" and told me that all things in the woods have a spirit. All the animals, trees, all living things have a spirit. Also so does the earth, sky, sun, and the woods themselves. Along with the hunter spirits and the "Old Ones"..... They do "watch" us. And watching over EVERYTHING....is the Great Spirit?...God?....but that is another topic for another time perhaps.

OK......follow me so far? Most of these spirits are good, but not all, and they see you in the woods, and reward the true of heart, and can become angry with those who are not? So that feeling of being "watched" can come from those who are true of heart! No need to be afraid. Each time I step in the woods, I give thanks to the spirits, those who have hunted with me have seen me do this. 

I was raised as a Christian, and my grandma was too. But she felt it was very important for me to learn the old ways too. I'm glad that I did. It has brought a certain peace to my life, and to my time in nature.

Now.......I'm SURE, some will think ol' grampy is the nut job now!! But hopefully this may give you an insight to that feeling you sometimes have of being watched? And to embrace it as something good.

OK......back to hunting alone!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

No, you're definitely not a nut job....lol. But maybe some if you will think I am after reading this though? 

My grandma was full blood native American. And when I was a kid, she and her brothers (my great uncles) taught me some of the "old ways" and told me that all things in the woods have a spirit. All the animals, trees, all living things have a spirit. Also so does the earth, sky, sun, and the woods themselves. Along with the hunter spirits and the "Old Ones"..... They do "watch" us. And watching over EVERYTHING....is the Great Spirit?...God?....but that is another topic for another time perhaps.

OK......follow me so far? Most of these spirits are good, but not all, and they see you in the woods, and reward the true of heart, and can become angry with those who are not? So that feeling of being "watched" can come from those who are true of heart! No need to be afraid. Each time I step in the woods, I give thanks to the spirits, those who have hunted with me have seen me do this. 

I was raised as a Christian, and my grandma was too. But she felt it was very important for me to learn the old ways too. I'm glad that I did. It has brought a certain peace to my life, and to my time in nature.

Now.......I'm SURE, some will think ol' grampy is the nut job now!! But hopefully this may give you an insight to that feeling you sometimes have of being watched? And to embrace it as something good.

Being a Christian, I NEVER feel alone.   Staying on good terms with He who controls the fate of all living things has certainly made hunting a lot easier, and a lot more enjoyable for me.  He never ceases to amaze me with His blessings and hunting and fishing let me see those more clearly than any other activity I have partaken in. 

43 minutes ago, grampy said:

I actually find that very interesting, I have always been fascinated about spirits.  Not ghosts, but spirits.  I too, think this also is a conversation for another time.

• Like 1

This year I will be hunting alone . :( Fir I lost both of my hunting partners . One passed away and the other does not want to touch or see another gun :( .  I sure will miss them both very much . I do go alot by myself but I would call them or text them while I was out there going to be hard this year.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, BigVal said:

I hunt alone alot. Every single time I have shot a deer alone my dad has shown up to help/enjoy with me. 

Initially, I thought you meant spiritually, because that is how I feel whenever I'm successful.

Very glad I was wrong. I miss those cherished moments with my dad and grampa. Wish you many more years with your dad.

• Like 3

The guys in my club come to camp only on weekends. I drive up for the entire season from Fl, and so I have the place all to myself all week long in between their short stays. They always ask me, " Isn't it lonely up here all week, alone? ".  I always reply that, I might be alone, but I'm never lonely. I love the solitude of being the only one on the mountain and in camp. My wife suspects that I might be a sociopath. There might be some truth to that.

I do admit to deeply missing my dad and grampa, but in reality, they're with me every time I step in the woods.

• Like 8

Not sure where the op is coming from and he means by alone. Maybe he is European like myself where hunting is really, really organized and  are driven hunts that's totally different and I mean transport to from the stand/spot, the beaters in place, official start/end of a hunting day, after hunt celebration, etc. In the US though I would say 95% is hunting alone as in "no one in your near proximity" and you start/end the day at the camp with buddies. I actually prefer it this way and like other have said, I'm addicted now to see "the day wake up" no better feeling in the world and sneaking in, in the dark gives me chills. I never really "hunted" in Europe, I was way too young for that but was aflield many times pushing the game to hunters, that's the deal over there and I doubt that "hunters" in Europe ever skin their own deer, that's more for the service people to do. Over here though it's more survivalist/hunter loner attitude and I love it, that is real hunting IMHO. Your mileage may vary of course. I can't imagine nothing better than tranquil solitude and being in peace with nature, listen, observe and learn. But that's me... :-)

Edited by bkln
  • Like 2

While anticipating my very first true wilderness hunt,  the thing that I most looked forward to was to be on the tundra, in the middle of nowhere, all by myself...

I had a partner on the hunt , but he is also a solitary hunter, and we hunted in different directions, teaming up when there was game to be taken care of....