How many Hunt alone ?

JR60

Since losing my dad, my best friend and hunting companion in 2016.. 95% of my deer and turkey hunts are solo. It sucks, Would much rather hunt with someone else.. makes it fun regardless. My wife gets out on a very rare occassion and i absolutely love it. But Im slowly losing my ambition to deer hunt because of the solo-ness, but getting more into predator hunting instead  

I hunt alone quite often. But also will hunt with family on different watches. And I spent a bunch of watches side by side with my son the last few years which was great. Now his older sister wants to join me so this year I hope to get some time with her in the stand.

I would years ago from time to time get that eerie feeling walking way back in during the pitch dark, now I love it. I have some spots I know the way so well I usually don't even use a small light. Don't get me wrong I've almost crapped my pants a couple times having roosted turkeys take off right over your head in the pitch dark or a ruff grouse! Good thing my heart still works lol..

90% of the time I hunt alone.  I have got the feeling Bionic mentioned, but less so over the years.  I have hunted the same land for 30+ years, so there is a certain comfort level.  It's farmland, so it's not "in the middle of nowhere".  The only thing that I worry about is trespassers, thieves and poachers.  

I prefer hunting alone, but occasionally team up with one friend during ML season.

I personally hunt by myself 99% of the time. It is tough to find someone that has the same hunting style as yourself and visa versa.

I find hunting by myself is more enjoyable because I can come and go as I want, scout when and how I want and I am more attentive.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 2:39 AM, ny hunter said:

Hunted alone 1 time ,everyone had left at lunch time last day of gun season I went back in the woods dropped a big deer and had to drag up a nasty hill...long story short had to call a friend to come back up and help me get it out.......

I've dragged two good-sized deer out of the woods by myself around 1/3rd (maybe a touch more) mile each time, with a net gain in altitude. Same spot both times at at the end there is a drop off and then a final 45 degree incline just to ensure total exhaustion. After the second time doing this alone, without any equipment, I purchased a game cart and a sled and most importantly some tackle. I still hunt that spot alone and next time I will have a two or three to one purchase system with paracord and climbing gear. As the gulley is extremely sharp I'm even contemplating stringing up a pulley between trees on the opposing hill and sending the deer across. If I ever do this I promise I'll post pics on the forum of the deer zip-lining.

I get those who get creeped out at night. I have no problem going in pitch black in the morning but when you're in the stand a healthy walk from the car and it starts getting dark it's a bit unsettling.

I've dragged two good-sized deer out of the woods by myself around 1/3rd (maybe a touch more) mile each time, with a net gain in altitude. Same spot both times at at the end there is a drop off and then a final 45 degree incline just to ensure total exhaustion. After the second time doing this alone, without any equipment, I purchased a game cart and a sled and most importantly some tackle. I still hunt that spot alone and next time I will have a two or three to one purchase system with paracord and climbing gear. As the gulley is extremely sharp I'm even contemplating stringing up a pulley between trees on the opposing hill and sending the deer across. If I ever do this I promise I'll post pics on the forum of the deer zip-lining.
I get those who get creeped out at night. I have no problem going in pitch black in the morning but when you're in the stand a healthy walk from the car and it starts getting dark it's a bit unsettling.

I’m the opposite, I’m so anxious walking in in the dark because I feel like I’m blowing everything out of the woods that I hurry and get all sweated up.
Coming out at night I don’t have a care in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I did a lot when I was younger. These days I worry about heart attacks, falling out of trees, slipping on the rocks....so I try to have a partner. Same thing on out-of-state trips, I like having another auto driver these days. But obviously you are now dealing with another hunter or two, which generally means compromises. 

And of course there is always fall turkey hunting with Maizy, the best hunting buddy a guy can find. :D

22289786_762967303903443_337131557949397996_o.jpg

• Like 3

For many many years, I walked into the woods in total darkness, and walked out in total darkness....Never was afraid for a second... What is there to be afraid of  ??  Boogeymen...??  Sassquatch  ..??...

Now that I am a doddering old fool, I am much more afraid  of slipping or falling down and being incapacitated.....I don't go  into real ROUGH country any more in the dark, simply for fear of falling and getting hurt....I still may walk a mile in or out  morning and evening in full darkness, but it will be over a planned route, and I'll have my cell phone with me just in case...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hunt mostly solo. I do hunt with family a handful of times each year for deer and turkeys.
Hunting to me is about connecting with nature and learning my quarry so I do my best hunting solo, though I do enjoy being a part of someone else's successful hunt whether it be calling in a turkey or pushing a deer.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’m the opposite, I’m so anxious walking in in the dark because I feel like I’m blowing everything out of the woods that I hurry and get all sweated up.
Coming out at night I don’t have a care in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

True, there definitely is that to think about!

I started out hunting alone gun Only. Then picked up a hunting buddy who hunted with me a lot for a few seasons. Now I would say 90% of my hunting is solo. The only day I’m guaranteed to have at least one other person at camp is opening day. I do have to say I enjoy them both. It is nice to have the help after a harvest and the camaraderie around camp. As said earlier in this thread it’s also very cool to have that last goodbye and good luck in the woods before we split up and go to our spots. Can’t wait to be in the woods next week! My first few hunts this year will for sure be solo. Well not really many of you will be on the live from the woods thread with me.

Last year I was on the thread chatting with Biz when he told me to pay attention that I would kill a buck in I think he said 17 minutes. He called it down to the min. This site has kept me going in the woods many a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Chef said:

I started out hunting alone gun Only. Then picked up a hunting buddy who hunted with me a lot for a few seasons. Now I would say 90% of my hunting is solo. The only day I’m guaranteed to have at least one other person at camp is opening day. I do have to say I enjoy them both. It is nice to have the help after a harvest and the camaraderie around camp. As said earlier in this thread it’s also very cool to have that last goodbye and good luck in the woods before we split up and go to our spots. Can’t wait to be in the woods next week! My first few hunts this year will for sure be solo. Well not really many of you will be on the live from the woods thread with me.

Last year I was on the thread chatting with Biz when he told me to pay attention that I would kill a buck in I think he said 17 minutes. He called it down to the min. This site has kept me going in the woods many a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My greatest hunting prediction of all time!

• Like 1