Stand height for hangon

Swamp_bucks

Im sure this has been discussed. 

Going to go with a hangon and sticks setup for stateland this year just to difficult to find a perfect tree in the dark for my climber.  I had some friends over to shoot bow this am and got to talking about stand height.  My practice stand is 7ft off the ground.  I like between 8-12' but in good cover because i dont like the steep angle of being up to high and should be quicker to setup 2 or 3 sticks.     One friend said 20 because deer can pick you out at 8ft. The one ground hunts  the other is new to hunting and didnt have much experiance in it.

Whats your preference and why? 

Any pointers or prefrence for climbing sticks and hangon setup.

12 feet to 15 feet is what I shoot for.  Gets you out of their peripheral, not too hard to climb.  Probably need 4 stucks to get that high though.

I'd really like to invest in a expensive set of sticks, and a lock on.  I don't like climbers, so that seems like a really flexible alternative.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

12 feet to 15 feet is what I shoot for.  Gets you out of their peripheral, not too hard to climb.  Probably need 4 stucks to get that high though.

I'd really like to invest in a expensive set of sticks, and a lock on.  I don't like climbers, so that seems like a really flexible alternative.

Sportsman guide is probably going to be where i get mine.  They have a cheaper sticks and hangon for me to start with.

• Like 1

Just now, Swamp_bucks said:

Sportsman guide is probably going to be where i get mine.  They have a cheaper sticks and hangon for me to start with.

I like the sectional ladder better and are much more versatile.  Can corkscrew around tree and limbs . I have replaced many sticks with them, my opinion is spend a little more on sectional ladder type.  Bonus is you can remove bottom section or two for stand security if need be

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Have Onyx app? Mark a few good trees for climber   

Agreed on not climbing up too high with any stand as only going to get "spine" shots

I don't like hang ons personally

I have done that but alot of the stateland i hunt gets hit hard for pressure so it can turn into a crap shoot for stand setup.  

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I like the sectional ladder better and are much more versatile.  Can corkscrew around tree and limbs . I have replaced many sticks with them, my opinion is spend a little more on sectional ladder type.  Bonus is you can remove bottom section or two for stand security if need be

Yea that was my plan

Edited by Swamp_bucks

Oddly enough, I killed a big swamp buck from a hang-on that was about 6 ft up last season, with my slug gun.  The older I get, the less fond that I am of heights.   The land that I hunt, in the southern zone, is all very flat.  I like to get up just high enough to improve visibility and to get some down-angle for my shots.  I am most comfortable on flat land, about 6 feet off the ground.  That is high enough to put my own shots in the ground (after hopefully passing thru deer), and to get me out of the line of fire from neighbors (none of my spots are that big).   I never use a safety harness, but most of my stands have 3 foot safety-rail/shooting-rest all the way around (the hang on last year did not, but a 6 foot fall into the soft swamp ground would probably not hurt me that bad).  

Last year, I lowered my last 12 ft high ladder stand, by removing the lower ladder section.   That stand is far more comfortable for me to hunt out of now.   I just planted some turnips, in a small plot near it today, so it should be a good late ML spot.  Now, all of my stands are less than 7 feet high, and all but two hang-ons have safety rails.   I am going to leave the one that I killed the big buck out of last year, right where it is .  I plan to move the other one to the nearest suitable tree to the spot where I had a pop-up blind last season.   I killed what might be my largest ever button buck from that pop-up with my crossbow last season.  Nonetheless, I will not hunt from a pop-up there this year, because I suffered a bad spider bite on a later hunt (brown recluse maybe).            

When hunting with a crossbow or gun, it is not as important to get up so high, since there is no need to make that quick draw motion, when a deer is in close, like there is with a vertical bow.   In 2017, I killed a slightly larger-bodied, but smaller-racked 3.5 year old buck from the second story of a big ground blind (deck was about 6 feet up with a 3 ft high wall for cover, weapon rest, and safety), with my crossbow from a range of about 15 yards.  The poor bastard never knew what hit him.   Nor did the big one last year, but he was out about 100 yards when my slugs hit him.       

I’m a 12 to 17 foot guy . 30 some years of Hang on hunting . Oh and most guys are way off on their height estimates, you can  use a knotted line with measurements pre set  to be sure My one buddy is afraid of heights , he said his so stand was 15 feet, I stood under it and touched it with an arrow .....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Planning on this set and i can order a 4th step.  Total should be under 60.  I have an older hangon ill use tbis year atleast.  Just collects dust might as well make it a little quiter and use it.

Screenshot_20190811-132539.png

It's almost cheaper to order 2set ups and combine them

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

It's almost cheaper to order 2set ups and combine them

Yea i was thinking that after i posted it. Think im just going with the 3 for now and putting money towards a linemans rope to be safe while setting the steps.

Edited by Swamp_bucks

I bought the hang on and 20’ sticks package then an extra hang on from same company. I only need 6-8’ in 2 spots so I’ll split the sticks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next you’ll tell us you bought a Hoyt and a Dodge!

3 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

It All depends on cover. I have low and high stands. Check out hawk heli-m sticks. Go on sale on midway for under $100. 3 will get you to 14-15 feet with a cheater.

Def agree with you and Gman.  Let the area dictate how high. Although i wont go over 18ft.  But i put in a stand last weekend at 9ft cause otherwise it would stick out and put in a groundblind this weekend because the area i wanted to be in has all low cover .   The best spots to tuck in and be unseen are the way to go. 

Stota blind.jpg

New 17-9 stand.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I bought the hang on and 20’ sticks package then an extra hang on from same company. I only need 6-8’ in 2 spots so I’ll split the sticks up.

WTF is this?  You bought a "cheat" package?  SInce when do your feet leave the ground?  Are you kidding, or converted?  Either way, good luck this season.  Some nice looking bucks on camera.  Maybe hunting out of a tree will put one of them in your freezer!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What?   Don’t join the cheaters!   I thought you had standards.   Peer pressure getting to you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Told ya in a related thread...Girls change a man!

29 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Been seeing a Dr to help with his fear of heights and children.  Seems the doc is doing a great job!

if he kills a nice buck from the stand this season he can quote Quigley!