Stand height for hangon

Swamp_bucks

11 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I bought the hang on and 20’ sticks package then an extra hang on from same company. I only need 6-8’ in 2 spots so I’ll split the sticks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mathews and now a stand? i thought you were into fair chase?

• Like 2

I’ve hunted from treestands before. These hang ons would not be used for bow. There are two spots with a gun that where if I was about 6 feet off the ground I could see valleys instead of just one. This may be the answer, it may not. I might actually only need 4 feet of height. If I go high with say a ladder stand I would be skylined, so I don’t want that. There are big rocks I can sit on but they are uneven, so it’s hard to sit on a chair. I may use the rock to get onto hang on and not even use sticks. I basically just need a flat surface to sit.

e3ed88721832e7627eb352ec411a795d.jpg&key=fba5d3a213e49b9beb9139f4866f55a5b93a646fd946d0ef115a8a72c64f2a56

Pic is like 2 ft off ground in backyard for reference

• Like 1

I’ve hunted from treestands before. These hang ons would not be used for bow. There are two spots with a gun that where if I was about 6 feet off the ground I could see valleys instead of just one. This may be the answer, it may not. I might actually only need 4 feet of height. If I go high with say a ladder stand I would be skylined, so I don’t want that. There are big rocks I can sit on but they are uneven, so it’s hard to sit on a chair. I may use the rock to get onto hang on and not even use sticks. I basically just need a flat surface to sit.

e3ed88721832e7627eb352ec411a795d.jpg&key=fba5d3a213e49b9beb9139f4866f55a5b93a646fd946d0ef115a8a72c64f2a56

I have a climber that is yours if you want to pick it up and try it. Barely used.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good idea- hunt by water - with all this Global warming the deer are thirstier

Good idea- hunt by water - with all this Global warming the deer are thirstier

I wouldn’t shoot a deer in the deep end. But once they hit the shallow end, it’s fair game/chase

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

30 is way up there. I will go that high for work if i have to on a scaffolding,but i have no desire to climb that high in a tree. 20' seems pretty high there.

as someone mentioned earlier, it's all terrain dependent. We have a few stands on the side of a ridge. If you're not up high enough, you're eye level with the deer above you on the ridge. Honestly, once you get past 20' it's not much of a different. But 30 is the exception for sure. As archers, we're also aware that too steep an angle on a deer that might come in under 15 yards would create a higher probability of a single lung shot due to the angle. 

• Like 1

Like many have opined, cover is more important than height. I use the hang on when leaves are on the trees and I set up 10-13 feet. Late season I use the climber more often and typically higher at about 16-20 feet. I bowhunt public land almost exclusively.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, cdbing said:

Like many have opined, cover is more important than height. I use the hang on when leaves are on the trees and I set up 10-13 feet. Late season I use the climber more often and typically higher at about 16-20 feet. I bowhunt public land almost exclusively.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

i think 10 is way too short even with cover. At some point we have to remember there is also an advantage to height as far as visibility. We can see farther and identify deer sooner at greater heights. It's not just a cover thing. 

7 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

i think 10 is way too short even with cover. At some point we have to remember there is also an advantage to height as far as visibility. We can see farther and identify deer sooner at greater heights. It's not just a cover thing. 

Height is an advantage only if enough cover .  But 17ft and wide open vs 10ft and tucked in is a no brainer.  Lots of people use ground blinds and no stands at all.  

we actually dropped one of our stands last year cause at 17ft you stuck out like a boner in sweatpants.  at 10ft have deer walk within 5 yards of me. 

wayback stand.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Height is an advantage only if enough cover .  But 17ft and wide open vs 10ft and tucked in is a no brainer.  Lots of people use ground blinds and no stands at all.  

we actually dropped one of our stands last year cause at 17ft you stuck out like a boner in sweatpants.  at 10ft have deer walk within 5 yards of me. 

there is no absolute rule for sure. At some point though, as you mentioned i'd just sit in a blind instead of 10'. Safer, more comfy and much better cover.

Edited by Pigmy

2 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

there is no absolute rule for sure. At some point though, as you mentioned i'd just sit in a blind instead of 10'. Safer, more comfy and much better cover.

When we were putting up this stand i was out in the cut grass area and i tell my buddy in the stand "how does it look if your standing up?"  he says - "I am standing up!"  lol.  Perfect !  nail it.  Hate ground blinds  cant see anything! or hear as well.  

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

wayback stand.jpg

Definitely times I would rather be 6' up with cover than looking like a bear on a toothpick at 15'.  30' feet is crazy to me.  I would hate the angle especially with a stick bow.  And just haven't seen the need for it.  But whatever works.

• Like 1

30 feet = 10 yards. So you’re making shots even longer. But the angle is the bad thing. An 18 yard shot from the ground goes through both lungs. That same shot from 30ft high, is it even possible?

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

30 feet = 10 yards. So you’re making shots even longer. But the angle is the bad thing. An 18 yard shot from the ground goes through both lungs. That same shot from 30ft high, is it even possible?

My friend that i was talking about this with  loves 20ft plus. But hes lost atleast 3 deer at under 15yards because of that angle.  Was it bad placement? Possibly but i think at that angle it doesnt help.  If they were out at 25-35 angles are alot better for that height.  But i agree it depends on person,cover, experiance,ect.  Ill stick with my 8-12ft always worked for me i just try to pick something with alot of cover.

• Like 1

My friend that i was talking about this with  loves 20ft plus. But hes lost atleast 3 deer at under 15yards because of that angle.  Was it bad placement? Possibly but i think at that angle it doesnt help.  If they were out at 25-35 angles are alot better for that height.  But i agree it depends on person,cover, experiance,ect.  Ill stick with my 8-12ft always worked for me i just try to pick something with alot of cover.

Makes sense. I would think a perfect bow shot is parallel to the ground going straight through a deer

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I think Belos point was that 30’ above base of tree does not always mean 30’ above deer.  Terrain makes a difference 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think Belos point was that 30’ above base of tree does not always mean 30’ above deer.  Terrain makes a difference 

Oh yea, for sure. I "ground hunt", but many times because of the rock cliffs i'm sitting on, it really means 10-20 feet above an animal.

2 years ago I climbed about 20’ up from o look down on a heavily used trail. Big ole fatty mama decided to not take the expected trail and turn Billy goat! She climbed a ledge right to my left ended up parallel to me at about 10’ away. Shot right under her cause she was too close - never practiced that shot before. Now I know

You have to adjust your aim for exit hole

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Makes sense. I would think a perfect bow shot is parallel to the ground going straight through a deer

22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

correct moog. those near 30 footers are on the side of pretty steep ravines. But even at 20 or so feet you do have to be conscious of angle. here are 2 pics I could find of bow kills over the years where they've gone off the run and come in closer then i'd like. Still dead deer, but not ideal.

379270472_007(2).thumb.JPG.2589d533339cf11281c4ed6b50da5038.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG.ad9796e28427a1ae9d42265e5bcd8a85.JPG

• Like 1

When you are in a stand or at elevation for that matter, line of site distance is not the distance you should be ranging. For example, if you are 20 feet up in the tree, and a deer is 25 feet away from the base of the tree the effective distance is a 15 foot shot. Projectile drop due to gravity is only from the horizontal distance travelled not total distance. That difference grows the higher you are on the closer the deer is. The further away the deer is the less impact this has. I know there are altitude adjusting range finders out there, but I don't know how many use them.

I only mention because I know a few people who didn't realize this and were missing completely or losing because of marginal hits at close range slam dunk shots from high up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2