Stand height for hangon

Swamp_bucks

• 2 weeks later...
When you are in a stand or at elevation for that matter, line of site distance is not the distance you should be ranging. For example, if you are 20 feet up in the tree, and a deer is 25 feet away from the base of the tree the effective distance is a 15 foot shot. Projectile drop due to gravity is only from the horizontal distance travelled not total distance. That difference grows the higher you are on the closer the deer is. The further away the deer is the less impact this has. I know there are altitude adjusting range finders out there, but I don't know how many use them.

I only mention because I know a few people who didn't realize this and were missing completely or losing because of marginal hits at close range slam dunk shots from high up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back in the day on the close shots it was “aim where you want it to exit the deer” but with today’s flatter shooting bows I just put that pin where I want to hit. It’s a great thing to practice, we had a stand at the Academy last year and all practiced straight down shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back in the day on the close shots it was “aim where you want it to exit the deer” but with today’s flatter shooting bows I just put that pin where I want to hit. It’s a great thing to practice, we had a stand at the Academy last year and all practiced straight down shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup. The flatter the bow shoots, the smaller the impact that elevation distance has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^^^ generally speaking, maybe! Regardless if you have a new compound bow, a 20yo one or a 200#/350+fps Xbow, there are situations where you have to compensate for impact into the vitals. EX; the dreaded quartering away or the super close shots <10yrds. Obviously there are conditions that effect these "rule of thumb" considerations... shooting from really high (20-25' +) elevations or up/down hill shots. This is where the line of sight vs actual shooting yardage becomes a factor for any bow. JMO, flatter shooting bows do not change the trajectory of the arrow after impact more than older bows do. You get more yardage variation (+/-) within each sight pin than older bows do making incorrect yardage "guess-timates" less of an issue. Naturally, flatter shooting bows are better at longer shots. Two distinct & separate issues here, yardage and vital penetration!

I always have the tree I'm headed to picked out before the season so no big deal in my climber. The very few hangons I put up are generally a minimum of 20ft. I regularly go higher in my climber, especially during gun season, I'll go 30' in a few spots for a long view.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

^^^ generally speaking, maybe! Regardless if you have a new compound bow, a 20yo one or a 200#/350+fps Xbow, there are situations where you have to compensate for impact into the vitals. EX; the dreaded quartering away or the super close shots <10yrds. 

umm quartering away is exactly what you DO want. it's quartering towards that leads to the guts.

• Like 1

Caught me... should have said "towards", but the "away" quartering shot is still a consideration for best vital's path of arrow.

If you don't consider the arrow's path into the vitals like other member insinuated was irrelevant with a flatter shooting bow, you might get a single lung shot even with the ideal qtr away shot.

Not a big fan of the the TV show Deer & Deer Hunting, but they had an excellent segment on one show years ago. Showed path of released arrows into mock deer at different shot angles &/or deer's body orientations with vitals clearly (3D) displayed for better defining what we're discussing. JMO, something you'd better be thinking about before releasing an arrow.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisw said:

I always have the tree I'm headed to picked out before the season so no big deal in my climber. The very few hangons I put up are generally a minimum of 20ft. I regularly go higher in my climber, especially during gun season, I'll go 30' in a few spots for a long view.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I've had a few 30 footers for gun. No more though. Had a close call and not worth it to me.

If you fall from thirty feet, you gonna hit the ground like a dart. 

That said, you rarely get busted at anything over 20.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Caught me... should have said "towards", but the "away" quartering shot is still a consideration for best vital's path of arrow.

If you don't consider the arrow's path into the vitals like other member insinuated was irrelevant with a flatter shooting bow, you might get a single lung shot even with the ideal qtr away shot.

Not a big fan of the the TV show Deer & Deer Hunting, but they had an excellent segment on one show years ago. Showed path of released arrows into mock deer at different shot angles &/or deer's body orientations with vitals clearly (3D) displayed for better defining what we're discussing. JMO, something you'd better be thinking about before releasing an arrow.

i've always liked that show. more educational than a guy sitting in a redneck blind over a food plot shooting a big buck. They do some decent job educating in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, tarheel95 said:

When you are in a stand or at elevation for that matter, line of site distance is not the distance you should be ranging. For example, if you are 20 feet up in the tree, and a deer is 25 feet away from the base of the tree the effective distance is a 15 foot shot. Projectile drop due to gravity is only from the horizontal distance travelled not total distance. That difference grows the higher you are on the closer the deer is. The further away the deer is the less impact this has. I know there are altitude adjusting range finders out there, but I don't know how many use them.

I only mention because I know a few people who didn't realize this and were missing completely or losing because of marginal hits at close range slam dunk shots from high up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not sure on the math here. In this scenario: 20 feet up, and deer is 25' from the tree, the deer is 32' from the base, but you should aim as if it's a 25' shot; it will drop similarly to if you were shooting 25' horizontally. There is some negligible variance not worth bothering with, but when I'm in a tree and I want to know how far a given distance is I will range a tree at the same height I'm at, so that I adjust my elevation based on the horizontal, not diagonal distance.

As for stand height I like to be 15' because it seems like a magic trick to me. The deer just become completely oblivious to me at 15' or higher, irrespective of wind condition frankly.

45 minutes ago, Core said:

Not sure on the math here. In this scenario: 20 feet up, and deer is 25' from the tree, the deer is 32' from the base, but you should aim as if it's a 25' shot; it will drop similarly to if you were shooting 25' horizontally. There is some negligible variance not worth bothering with, but when I'm in a tree and I want to know how far a given distance is I will range a tree at the same height I'm at, so that I adjust my elevation based on the horizontal, not diagonal distance.

As for stand height I like to be 15' because it seems like a magic trick to me. The deer just become completely oblivious to me at 15' or higher, irrespective of wind condition frankly.

Bend at the waist, put your pin where you want to hit and make a good shot. Dont overthink it

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Bend at the waist, put your pin where you want to hit and make a good shot. Dont overthink it

this. don't overthink an elevated shot vs a ground shot under 35 yards. Most good new sites have the 3rd axis adjustment but it's really just for guys shooting uphill and downhill out west.