7x57 mauser

Savagehunter

I have had no experience with the M70 in 7 x57...I have had 2 rifles in that chambering, a M1895 Chilean Mauser and an early tang safety Ruger M77..Both were very long throated and both shot 175 grain factory loads very well, but did not group so well with my (amateur) handloads of 140 grain bullets.. I learned after I had sold them both that if I had loaded 160 or 175 grain bullets WAY out in the case I may have got better accuracy...

In any case, it is a fine chambering, with ballistics very similar to the popular 7MM08... Perhaps the M70 is shorter throated to perform better with  some of the lighter ( 140 grain) bullets...Either way, even the 175 grain factory loads aren't a bad choice within 300 yards...Those long bullets are awesome performers on game...

• Like 2

Congratulations, A classic old cartridge with a track record that stands the test of time, on medium game it is tough to beat. I do not have any actual experience with the 7mm Mauser but have quite a bit with other 7mm cartridges namely the 280 Remington which is slightly more powerful, the 284 Winchester and the 7mm Rem mag, my wife has a 7mm-08. A bunch of Deer and several Moose were no problem for the 280.

There is a wealth of handloading info available and with the right bullets fired out of that Winchester Featherweight you can hunt just about anything in North America with proper shot placement.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

There is a much greater selection of factory loads available now than when I had my  7x57s fifty years ago...

I was a neophyte reloader then, also...I suspect that if you try  a number of the factory loads available now, you will find one that shoots well in your rifle...  Good luck, My Friend....

• Like 2

Pygmy is right, there should be some decent factory loads available these days for the old Mauser but because the 7mm Mauser is such an old cartridge with many rifles being over 100 years in age the ammo manufacturers go on the side of safety and do not load offerings that are up to the true potential this shell can be in a modern firearm.

This cartridge is a good example where careful handloads can maximize old timers like the 7mm Mauser and bring them up to snuff, it should be able to at least equal or slightly outperform the popular 7mm-08.

The Hornady 139 gr bullet weight is a good balanced choice for the Mauser case capacity, there are other 140 gr bullets that have good reviews that will also perform well.

Al

• Like 2