ghillie suits-anyone use em?

I was looking for a super portable blind to carry for run and gun purposes (deer/predators) for when I didn't feel like being tied to one of my 3 heavier less portable blinds (2 Lucky's blinds and 1 barronett big cat) or any of my ladder stands (i have 6 up at the moment). In my younger days I used to carry a loc-on limit stands and use tree/telephone spikes to get up the tree. Unfortunately 20+ years later and hopefully a little smarter I do not use my hang-ons or spikes anymore for safety reasons (I'm just to old to do that anymore). As I was blind hunting, I really did not see anything I wanted to tote along with all my other gear which is becoming heavier and heavier year after year. I then read where someone was using an allpredatorcalls.com kill suit  ( I have an old unbranded ghillie suit and it is way too heavy, bulky, cumbersome, and frankly just a PIA). After reading about the kill suit and watching some videos and getting some reviews on another predator hunting site, I broke down and picked up the APC Sapper in digital woodlands. It weighs in at 2lbs, cost $81 delivered and looked pretty good in the videos I saw. Am hoping this will do the trick as I should be able to sit in most any location I choose to try. Does anyone else use a ghillie or kill suit for predator or deer hunting?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I have a leafy type suit that I sometimes wear ,they're relatively cheap and light weight ,I would look into something like that.

X2.I typically use a leafy suit during bow season for a little bit better blend in to the surroundings.extremely lightweight as its basically a screen material with the leafy stuff stitched to it

I looked at the leafy suits - actually have one in ASAT camo which blends pretty good - but its a pants and jacket and gets caught on twigs and sticker bushes. Got the sapper kill suit cause I could take with me and put on without worrying about going over boots. Got it today. tested it out for blending in, scared the bejesus out of my neighbor. Got with in 10 feet of him while cutting the lawn and had to move into the open before he saw me. quite happy with it I must say. Think I'm gonna get a snow one also for winter coyotes

https://allpredatorcalls.com/kill-suit-sapper-3d-strip-wicked-woods-digital-woodland-mesh-lined-apc004w/

I looked at the leafy suits - actually have one in ASAT camo which blends pretty good - but its a pants and jacket and gets caught on twigs and sticker bushes. Got the sapper kill suit cause I could take with me and put on without worrying about going over boots. Got it today. tested it out for blending in, scared the bejesus out of my neighbor. Got with in 10 feet of him while cutting the lawn and had to move into the open before he saw me. quite happy with it I must say. Think I'm gonna get a snow one also for winter coyotes
https://allpredatorcalls.com/kill-suit-sapper-3d-strip-wicked-woods-digital-woodland-mesh-lined-apc004w/
What about pants?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

What about pants?

no pants - its a long jacket that comes to the knees or below the knees in my case. I will wear it over my sitka bibs and also wear camo mucks - so should not be a problem. You can get the pants and jacket but I didn't want the hassle of pants so just got the sapper kill suit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

And how are these ghillies working for bow season? Not getting Tangled in the cables?

lol not sure yet. there is no ghillie strings just flat vertical strips. won't know until i test it out with a vertical bow, but was mainly planning to use it during xbow and gun season mostly for predators and deer stalkin and spring turkey. I mostly hunt out of my ladder stands or ground blinds during verticaal bow season and was not intending to wear it then - just when I was ground hunting or stalking. hope that helps. best part is it's only 2lbs!

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 1

I have a pair of cabelas leafy pants and jacket I bought from the bargain basement on line a few years ago. I will wear early bow and spring turkey. But the leaves ALWAYS get caught in the jacket zipper zipping and unzipping. The pants have NO pockets. Pants without pockets?! Cmon man

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I have a pair of cabelas leafy pants and jacket I bought from the bargain basement on line a few years ago. I will wear early bow and spring turkey. But the leaves ALWAYS get caught in the jacket zipper zipping and unzipping. The pants have NO pockets. Pants without pockets?! Cmon man

that's why they were a bargain...no pockets...lol

• 1 month later...

Never tried one. Kind of tempted, but I'd feel like a total spaz wearing it if anybody saw me in it. I think deer are so in tune with movement more than anything else that I'm not sure this would but much more effectiveness against one.