Stand location

Team Hoyt

I would be no help. I have never been able to look at a map and pick a spot. For me it is time in the woods looking for sign that will determine my choice of stand location(s).  Once I find a nice looking area I try to get a camera in place to make sure I am not hunting a place they only use at night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I would be no help. I have never been able to look at a map and pick a spot. For me it is time in the woods looking for sign that will determine my choice of stand location(s).  Once I find a nice looking area I try to get a camera in place to make sure I am not hunting a place they only use at night.

That's what I do lol we've had the lease for almost a year. I've had cameras out 2 weeks so far and getting mostly night pics and not to many. 

If I had to just walk to a spot and hunt just with the information you posted ,I would be somewhere in this area for 2 reasons ,the terrain changes and it also looks like there is some kind of transition going on almost in the same area .

20190812_180828.jpg

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

If I had to just walk to a spot and hunt just with the information you posted ,I would be somewhere in this area for 2 reasons ,the terrain changes and it also looks like there is some kind of transition going on almost in the same area .

20190812_180828.jpg

Ide say same thing looks like a ditch or something is right in that area. 

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

What’s the preferred part....1/3 of the way up or the 1700’ elevation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/3 from top on leeward - mix of wind over the top and thermals.  Can scent both ways.  Makes it a preferred area for both bedding and travel.    

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Quote from Berry Wensel:

But, he said, deer — and wise old bucks in particular — use those roads only after dark. Otherwise, they travel on a parallel track, but one that’s on the downwind side of that ridge.

They can not only smell anything below them, thanks to rising thermals, but also smell anything uphill thanks to the direction of the prevailing wind, he said. And they can do it without skylining themselves.

i taught Berry that.  Lol.  Ok he knew it before I was born.  

• Like 3

I would be looking at the predominantly leeward side at 1700’ or 1/3 from top.   Walk that line.  Often it’s the Preferred travel line. 

eca8a61a93f293cfb99b3efffa779c93.jpg

Agree. I’d be thinking in the blue.

Yesterday when I scouted State Land and saw 7 bucks they were all approx 300 feet up in elevation from where the road is and the peak was 400 feet, so about 3/4 from bottom or 1/4 from top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Top of small ravine maybe a natural funnel I wouldn't be so concerned about camera photos now but would be looking for old rub lines on benches downwind side of hill as well. Looks like you also have a saddle at corner of your lease on top of hill. , it also shows neighbors field to right of it. Again another natural funnel ,although top of hill looks like it may of been pasture or ag at one time it maybe a bedding or staging area before entering that field.

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Top of small ravine maybe a natural funnel I wouldn't be so concerned about camera photos now but would be looking for old rub lines on benches downwind side of hill as well. Looks like you also have a saddle at corner of your lease on top of hill. , it also shows neighbors field to right of it. Again another natural funnel ,although top of hill looks like it may of been pasture or ag at one time it maybe a bedding or staging area before entering that field.

The right bench on leeward side is a gold mine!   Saddles too but tougher with swirling winds often. 

Edited by moog5050

On 8/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, moog5050 said:

I would be looking at the predominantly leeward side at 1700’ or 1/3 from top.   Walk that line.  Often it’s the Preferred travel line. 

Went for a walk tonight, at about 1650' found what appeared to be a nice bedding area, overlooking a smaller bowl. Then right at 1700' a nice couple trails. So well see what the camera shows

• Like 2

I learned that “1/3 from the top” tip from Dan Infalt and killed a buck first sit. Could be a coincidence but I’ll be spending time there this season for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro