Thoughts on this guy?

nybuckboy

Feeding deer is illegal, but you will only be ticketed for baiting if you are hunting over it, technical distinction. As for food plots being bait, ok you have one stand to sit over my 5 acre cornfield , your chances are minimal compared to one stand over a single  pile 20 yards from you. Especially with bow.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds like morons to me. The rule has always been the same for years and years. Nothing has ever changed. People just try to make an excuses for why stores sell stuff. I wish NY would just go with a zero tolerance lifetime ban penalty. That would even out the playing field.

Btw, I’ve never heard an ECON Officer say it’s ok. In fact if you check the NY Outdoor Newspapers there are always blurbs about people being fined for illegal baiting in the “cuffs” section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could go more in depth on this, if you choose but i'd rather not on here.. Not trying to argue with you Biz, Just telling you how funny it is, to read one thing from the source, and hear another thing from the same source, And both be different informations..  

There has been several cases in court for trying to penalize someone for feeding wildlife.. I know of 1 of them. And unless there was another offense thrown at them.. feeding wildlife lawsuits are all nearly thrown out.  

Now "Baiting" that is a whole different story. 

You know what, I have never heard an ECON say those words either... Until now... And in a large group of people.... Just saying. and never once did he mention it was legal, but he insisted to tell everyone, its not illegal... 

Again, Baiting and feeding are two different things... 

Feeding deer is illegal, but you will only be ticketed for baiting if you are hunting over it, technical distinction. As for food plots being bait, ok you have one stand to sit over my 5 acre cornfield , your chances are minimal compared to one stand over a single  pile 20 yards from you. Especially with bow.

Not true. I seen articles in NY Outdoors News of people being ticketed for putting corn down in front of cameras in off season

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yup, I think it’s a town in Sullivan or Ulster.

Yup, Sullivan County.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2018/01/you_can_legally_feed_deer_during_the_winter_in_only_one_upstate_new_york_county.html

I would be for feeding deer after hunting season. The DEC is trying to get numbers up in our area and have cited some bad winter mortality a couple of years in a row in '16-'17 I think. We find a few skeletons every Spring, no idea if those are from a food issue or coyotes though. Just seems counter productive to say "winter mortality" and feeding ban. We do the hinge cuts where we can, but that doesn't seem to generate that much nutrition.

I could go more in depth on this, if you choose but i'd rather not on here.. Not trying to argue with you Biz, Just telling you how funny it is, to read one thing from the source, and hear another thing from the same source, And both be different informations..  
There has been several cases in court for trying to penalize someone for feeding wildlife.. I know of 1 of them. And unless there was another offense thrown at them.. feeding wildlife lawsuits are all nearly thrown out.  
Now "Baiting" that is a whole different story. 
You know what, I have never heard an ECON say those words either... Until now... And in a large group of people.... Just saying. and never once did he mention it was legal, but he insisted to tell everyone, its not illegal... 
Again, Baiting and feeding are two different things... 

It’s too much grey area. That’s the problem. Just open the floodgates like NJ and parts of CT and allow baiting. I’m all for anything LEGAL. I’ve been eyeing some sweet big Texas style feeders for years. But until it’s legal, I’m not doing it

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Not true. I seen articles in NY Outdoors News of people being ticketed for putting corn down in front of cameras in off season

They are being ticketed for feeding,  they hit an old.lady here for same. Baiting is intent to kill animal. If they had stand nearby then it would be baiting no matter if season is open

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Food plots are ok but baiting is not. What am I missing? LOL

Yep, my neighbor plants several hundred acres of food plots every year right on our border.  I called DEC to complain but they just  tell me to leave the farmer alone.  I think its all them food plots in Steuben Co that grows the monsters down there!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Food plots are ok but baiting is not. What am I missing? LOL

Bait is only available In on specific spot a pile or a feeder, a plot is spread out bowhunting a 5 acre plot is not a guarentee shot as they may be eating it but are way out of range and can be scattered throughout. unlike a pile or feeder 20 yards in front of a stand where deers noses touch and feces accumulate and diseases can be easily transfered.

10 minutes ago, G-Man said:

unlike a pile or feeder 20 yards in front of a stand where deers noses touch and feces accumulate and diseases can be easily transfered.

I always understood that DEC was more concerned about the spread of disease than some unfair hunting advantage.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I always understood that DEC was more concerned about the spread of disease than some unfair hunting advantage.

You are correct. 

If anyone is interested, here is the DEC link > https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html  You'll see they reference "Part 189" which is all about CWD.

The link also says "DEC intends to publish a proposed regulation for public comment that would update and reinforce the statewide prohibition on the feeding of deer and moose. Updated regulations are needed to address concerns related to deer feeding while maintaining appropriate exemptions for agriculture, wildlife food plots, and 4-Poster devices."

20 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Bait is only available In on specific spot a pile or a feeder, a plot is spread out bowhunting a 5 acre plot is not a guarentee shot as they may be eating it but are way out of range and can be scattered throughout. unlike a pile or feeder 20 yards in front of a stand where deers noses touch and feces accumulate and diseases can be easily transfered.

A food plot don't have to be 5 acres.  Plenty of food plots out there that are quite small.  Some not much bigger than a persons tomato patch in their backyard.   Again, I am not against food plots, but I see little difference in someones small food plot compared to a bait pile.  The disease thing I have no way of proving whether it is more likely to spread via bait pile vs. food plot. I surely won't wholeheartedly believe the biologists on this neither.  I doubt they have a surefire way of proving it.  It's probably more assumption than proof.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, G-Man said:

Older than 3.5 and poor genetics .would be known as a cull buck.

This makes me laugh, you guys watch too much TV.  Do you realize the acreage and resources you need to REALLY MANGE DEER.  That might be a cull buck in some places but 90% if the guys on this site are hunting less than 500 acre parcels or public land.  Yeah you can pass the little guys and hope the neighbor doesn't shoot them but in most cases this isn't a cull buck to Joe Blow. 

Just now, steve863 said:

A food plot don't have to be 5 acres.  Plenty of food plots out there that are quite small.  Some not much bigger than a persons tomato patch in their backyard.   Again, I am not against food plots, but I see little difference in someones small food plot compared to a bait pile.  The disease thing I have no way of proving whether it is more likely to spread via bait pile vs. food plot. I surely won't wholeheartedly believe the biologists on this neither.  I doubt they have a surefire way of proving it.  It's probably more assumption than proof.

A small plot will be wiped out pretty quick as it It is there 24/7 , guys electric fence, ect to keep deer out of it , a kill plot is different than a food or destination feed field. Mostly a guy takes down fence a der come a in and he shoots it. If fence is down the kill plot will be wiped out in few days and deer move on.

2 minutes ago, njg0621 said:

This makes me laugh, you guys watch too much TV.  Do you realize the acreage and resources you need to REALLY MANGE DEER.  That might be a cull buck in some places but 90% if the guys on this site are hunting less than 500 acre parcels or public land.  Yeah you can pass the little guys and hope the neighbor doesn't shoot them but in most cases this isn't a cull buck to Joe Blow. 

Take that cull buck with grain of salt.. lol cant Express sarcasm via text.. problem with texting and blogs. But I would of been trying to take out that buck for previous few years if all it was was big six. I have one here now that is 7+ years old and still cant kill it as it only shows at night but its gene's are showing up in herd .. you can manage any property any size. The amount of success will vary over time. 

Here's a fully mature "scrub" buck (7 yrs old this year). This is the only pic I have this year from a month ago. He looks awesome now but still wouldn't score very high. I would love to kill him simply for the amount of history that I have with him...

received_1406897862768334.thumb.jpeg.109575b213f2c42df47efbd52b7742d6.jpeg
I love his white nose line. Looks cool

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Here's a fully mature "scrub" buck (7 yrs old this year). This is the only pic I have this year from a month ago. He looks awesome now but still wouldn't score very high. I would love to kill him simply for the amount of history that I have with him...

received_1406897862768334.jpeg

Holy crap!! What a buck!!

23 minutes ago, G-Man said:

A small plot will be wiped out pretty quick as it It is there 24/7 , guys electric fence, ect to keep deer out of it , a kill plot is different than a food or destination feed field. Mostly a guy takes down fence a der come a in and he shoots it. If fence is down the kill plot will be wiped out in few days and deer move on.

Once again, I absolutely have nothing against food plots, but I love how some of you try to justify it all.  The fact of the matter to me is that NO one would ever be planting food plots for deer to eat if they didn't hunt and/or want to keep deer on their properties.  Those who would claim that they do it only for the benefit of the deer where it gives them some extra food to eat are not telling the whole truth.  If you don't consider planting a food source for the sole purpose of attracting deer to your property as a form of baiting, so be it.  Some of us won't buy your justification for it while at the same time you try to portray the bait pile as being such an evil that only has an "intent to kill animal".  To me the "intent" is there with both.

Edited by steve863

12 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

received_1406897862768334.jpeg

so cool. Reminds me of a big 6pt that was shot in westchester last year which was aged at 10.5!