Life expectancy

greensider

Here is one for you guys I’m 33 and today the 6th person from my high school graduating class of 160 passed away. That is slightly over 3% or more than double the average death rate for 33 year olds.

That being said my mother is my oldest living relative at 69 years old. All 4 of my grandparents died before the age of 70 all from smoking related illness. So who knows but I’ll take what I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Here is one for you guys I’m 33 and today the 6th person from my high school graduating class of 160 passed away. That is slightly over 3% or more than double the average death rate for 33 year olds.

That being said my mother is my oldest living relative at 69 years old. All 4 of my grandparents died before the age of 70 all from smoking related illness. So who knows but I’ll take what I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're only 3 years older than me? No shit?! Must be the beard. I couldn't grow one if my life depended on it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My family genetics are not great, cancer runs in the family as does heart problems. I am trying to help myself as much as I can. Haven’t smoked since I was a teen, always been a hard worker and I go to the gym at least 3 days a week. Now that I work for the state well let’s just say I don’t work as hard as I used to. 

I am back on my weight loss regimen though. I have lost 55 lbs total but had to loose 15 again that I gained back. Looking to loose another 25 so 75 lbs total, I can say just getting the 15 off again I feel better. 

I am 49 now, I hope to make it to at least 70 .

Edited by rob-c

My dad is the first male on his side of the family to live past 52. All of them drop dead of heart attacks. My dad has had two heart attacks already, one at 42 the second at 51. He’s 66 now and has been having some issues so I’m not sure how much longer he will last.

Females on both sides live into their 80s-90s. Not sure where I’ll end up but I’m not in bad shape but that really doesn’t matter as my old man is in decent shape weight wise and my grandfather was a newly retired Marine drill Sargent when he went. I figure if I can maintain a decent weight combined with today’s medicine, I should make it to at least 70 or so

On 8/13/2019 at 1:47 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

My Dad lived to 61 and his Dad lived to 61......hmmmm

Fat full and pushing 50!  Just had my physical last week and no issues.  I take NO meds at all and i am never sick - have 450 hours of sick time only because they max you out there.  I will be the guy that just drops one day out of the blue. lol. 

My Dad died on January 14th and his Dad died on January 14th. Only time I get superstitious! Always glad to see January 15th!

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, greensider said:

Given your family history and other factors such as job and hobbies how long do you think you will live or be happy reaching I think 70 would be nice 

I personally have no expectations because given the world we live in today it can all be gone in a second. As long as I can see the fall come and go and I am able to enjoy what is out there to experience I am good. When I get to the point where I can't do what I enjoy it is time to cash it in.

Sitting in a chair gazing out the window is not for me regardless of age.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:51 AM, wooly said:

Could be any day now,lol

My family has a history of suffering into their 80's and early 90's.

I intend to break that trend and planning on tapping out here in a few more years by the age of 50 as soon as I complete my saw collection!:D

You aint going nowhere! I just planted some black walnut that will be ready for carving in 20 years! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently learned of a friend's passing at the ripe old age of 82.  It was a shock, since he was very healthy for his age.  An infection from an injury took him out.  The saddest part is, he was the primary contact for his mother, who is now 112 and still lives at home with nurse visitation, and wasn't able to come up from Florida for the funeral.

He used to say his mother wakes every day wondering why God didn't take her during the night.

Both my grandfathers succumbed to cancer.  My grandmothers lived to 86 and 92.  They grew up in hard times.  My parents are a bit more fortunate to be able to take better care of themselves.  My dad is 70 and just hiked up to the top of Inari mountain with my oldest son sitting on his shoulder the whole way up and down without breaking a sweat.

Read "The Blue Zone".  Studies parts of the world where there are extremely large concentration of people who lived to 100 and their life styles.  Diet and exercise are obvious but what I found to be the most interesting is that they found these people worked in some way or another till the very end.  They also continue to be a major part family decision making.  Essentially, once you are no longer "needed" and/or you're cast aside by your family, the clock starts to tick faster.

• Like 1