the self checkout at walmart isnt that bad.....

Robhuntandfish

I often use the self checkout at walmart when i have a few things.  Well today i had produce that had to be weighed, which is pita, so i went to the regular checkout.  Bought some groceries etc and also two boxes of worms. 

Checkout gal.."oh i hate ringing these up cause i know they are just gonna die" 

me- deep breath

Checkout gal - "you know what i mean?" 

me - "not really"   

lol   Next time i will just weigh the damn bananas!  lol .  Which she wasnt worried about them dying at all.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Are the cashiers at Walmart unionized?

How about Wegman's

Top's?

Brand Names or Two Guys?

Dont know ...  I do know when lowes put in self checkout they layed off workers .. saved a few bucks and put a single mom out of a job. Family friend  with 2 kids  .   That's close enough for me .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

How about Wegman's

Top's?

Brand Names or Two Guys?

Tops are.

I was always against the stupid self-checkouts and normally don't use them but sometimes...

"All I have is this one frickin' _ _ _ _ and I don't feel like talking to anyone or waiting in line behind this dirty (whatever) that stinks like dope while they buy cigarettes with cash and their groceries with EBT while surfing on their smartphone."

On those days I love the self-checkout.

Edited by covert
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Loews by, me has a young ,tall, tan , good looking blonde running a checkout, black yoga pants, French tips, she smells like vanilla, friendly as well . Her line is always the longest... some days I go just to buy a Gatorade.

She was not there today so I did self checkout , super fast an easy .

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Bionic said:

I try to not go to self checkouts simply so the cashiers still have a job...but most times I am like what was I thinking...some don’t their ass from their elbow....i guess I am describing most of society though 

15 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I'm a union guy .... it's about the jobs . I will never use a self check out .

regrettably i get slower and worse service from cashiers, than the machine. 

and i worked as a cashier at tops in my teens. we had competitions for items per minute though between friends so there are good ones out there. 

Edited by Pigmy

15 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

How about Wegman's

Top's?

Brand Names or Two Guys?

tops was/is a union. little good did that do me when I told them i was competing in state super sectionals for track and field and they fired me for not coming to work. if i knew a little more about the world i probably would have got a hold of the union and at least made management's life difficult. I was in the grocery dept. and saturday night was turnover night. I get it. But you hire high school kids and penalize them for excelling in sports? Later went on to work at chase pitkin and they had the exact opposite approach and rewarded student athletes. that right there is why wegmans does well.

I personally always use a cahier checkout regardless of the pain in the neck it can be. I have witnessed and experienced the effects of automation with thousands of jobs lost. I do my best to contribute to the future of jobs that require a person.

Unemployment is not fun and we have lost way to many jobs in the US over the years.

i just had an experience with self check out here at Walmart minutes ago. set a weighed produce item in the bagging area and it said "unexpected item in bagging area". then it read on screen that i needed to put said item in bagging area. BS went on for a short while until i just scanned everything and paid without putting everything in the bagging area. during that process i looked at a couple associates standing there. they never did a thing or make eye contact to help me. in their defense they did end up help someone cancel out the same fault before me at another POS. in this world people aren't always going be willing to help you out, ensure your well being, or that you keep any given job. it's up to you to handle shit and prepare to get screwed over. i don't necessarily dislike unions but hate how they force employers to tow along the worst employees. i have no reservations using things like automated checkout that are already there.

17 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I'm a union guy .... it's about the jobs . I will never use a self check out .

somewhere there's a company that made that self checkout. they employ engineers to the necessary guy sweeping the floors of the bldg. this isn't meant or intended to be personal but that statement is a little close minded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

somewhere there's a company that made that self checkout. they employ engineers to the necessary guy sweeping the floors of the bldg. this isn't meant or intended to be personal but that statement is a little close minded.

I understand what your saying ... I get it .  And yes I can be closed minded  that's np.  

Just the way I was raised... people over profit ... people over machines. People pay taxes and spend money ... eliminating people contributes to corporate  greed.

Besides I like to talk to people... I'm not in that big a hurry.. 

Wal Mart's main competitor is Amazon. How many cashiers does Amazon have? I suspect zero. Wal Mart is trying to stay competitive.

Was a time when every gas station had attendants (I was once one). When was the last time you saw one? Times are changing, cashiers jobs are going away, just like the type writer and buggy whip industries did.

By the way, I saw one survey that indicated about 4% of all possible self scan transactions aren't scanned. So, any potential personnel cost savings are partially offset by shrinkage. 

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

I personally always use a cahier checkout regardless of the pain in the neck it can be. I have witnessed and experienced the effects of automation with thousands of jobs lost. I do my best to contribute to the future of jobs that require a person.

Unemployment is not fun and we have lost way to many jobs in the US over the years.

i think the pain in the neck part is the issue. Your experience should be BETTER, not worse. And the kicker is they're asking for equal pay. There's a stereotypical walmart cashier that we all know. They're super slow, sometimes talking to their coworker or even on the phone and they want more money for performing worse than the machine next to them.

45 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

And the kicker is they're asking for equal pay. There's a stereotypical walmart cashier that we all know. They're super slow, sometimes talking to their coworker or even on the phone and they want more money for performing worse than the machine next to them.

You are correct and I have experienced some doozies at times. But the bottom line for me is those "doozies" still have to eat, put a roof over their head, and possibly support others. I would rather support a living breathing person regardless of their inadequacies than have my money supporting a machine that has no other purpose and will only function when plugged in and programed.

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I understand what your saying ... I get it .  And yes I can be closed minded  that's np.  

Just the way I was raised... people over profit ... people over machines. People pay taxes and spend money ... eliminating people contributes to corporate  greed.

Besides I like to talk to people... I'm not in that big a hurry.. 

i completely understand what you're talking about as well. i was raised that way too. growing up though i've understood that you have to evolve or you won't make it in life. jobs aren't becoming fewer they're changing. it's too bad when people feeling struggle put themselves in a box and they think all i can ever do or be is a person inside this box. in reality if they put themselves outside the comfortable box that's all they've ever known, they'll know the box inside and out.  they'll know it better than anyone, especially someone that's never had to be in the box to begin with. you can't be taught that and fully understand it. that makes you valuable and creates opportunity if you're open to it.

Edited by dbHunterNY