the self checkout at walmart isnt that bad.....

Robhuntandfish

15 hours ago, Steve D said:

You are correct and I have experienced some doozies at times. But the bottom line for me is those "doozies" still have to eat, put a roof over their head, and possibly support others. I would rather support a living breathing person regardless of their inadequacies than have my money supporting a machine that has no other purpose and will only function when plugged in and programed.

there's a team of engineers in an office somewhere who is designing and maintaining the self checkout system. That building is being leased, they pay utilities, there's a janitor, admins, support staff. The machine doesn't just replace Sandra the cashier.

And on another note, we're looking for $15 an hour stockroom employees. Only GED is needed and no skills. We've had a dozen open jobs for months now that we can't fill. We thought we just had a good group of 8 and 4 failed their drug test. Unemployment is under 4% in upstate. If your only hope to put food on your table is to be a cashier, you're not even really looking for a job.

Not trying to rant, even though I did. But some of y'all think you're going to prevent the spread of technology by not using it? You're not doing anything noble. Heck, this forum is replacing banquets, rod and gun clubs, and even the local watering hole to some degree.

Edited by Pigmy

19 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

And on another note, we're looking for $15 an hour stockroom employees. Only GED is needed and no skills. We've had a dozen open jobs for months now that we can't fill. We thought we just had a good group of 8 and 4 failed their drug test

Nephew does “ hardscapes “ stone patios ,walkways , Fire pits, driveways . Each summer he tries to hire two college kids . Pays $15 an hour under the table , 50 hours a week , so they take home $750 cash a week . Same story each summer can’t find decent ones , not great mind you, just decent ones .

Friends daughter is a Lifeguard at a County beach here , they’re short staffed , few came back during the application process, once they found out there was a drug test .

ive worked in a stockroom, over 3,000 items, unloaded tractor trailers, filled, weekly, and daily dept. orders, did cycle counts , but you’d need to bump the pay for me unless it’s Victoria Secrets or similar.

Edited by Nomad

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Nephew does “ hardscapes “ stone patios ,walkways , Fire pits, driveways . Each summer he tries to hire two college kids . Pays $15 an hour under the table , 50 hours a week , so they take home $750 cash a week . Same story each summer can’t find decent ones , not great mind you, just decent ones .

Friends daughter is a Lifeguard at a County beach here , they’re short staffed , few came back during the application process, once they found out there was a drug test .

3 beaches on Oneida lake closed for swimming for most or all of the summer cause they couldnt get lifeguards.  I remember when i was a kid you had to know someone to get those jobs thsy were in such demand.  

• Like 1

Ya my buddy was one, I thought that was a cool job. My girls worked for Webster Parks and Rec. each summer high school through college, very hard to get in, but once you were you came back each year .

Not sure if all Life Guard jobs require the drug test, but I’ve heard other stories like yours .

17 minutes ago, Nomad said:

ive worked in a stockroom, over 3,000 items, unloaded tractor trailers, filled, weekly, and daily dept. orders, did cycle counts , but you’d need to bump the pay for me unless it’s Victoria Secrets or similar.

there are other opportunities for those with experience. but the point is we're just looking for bodies. yeah you wont be rich, but it's a job with major growth potential. 

I hear sanders and AOC up there rallying against the system and I honestly think the only group they're talking to is that 4% that's basically already unemployable and others who just dont want to work at all. It's scary.

27 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

Only GED is needed and no skills. We've had a dozen open jobs for months now that we can't fill.

But some of y'all think you're going to prevent the spread of technology by not using it? You're not doing anything noble.

Not everyone has the opportunity, know how, or willingness to go to college.

Tell that to the thousands of auto workers, steel workers, and assembly plants across the country that lost their jobs to automation and robotics.

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Tell that to the thousands of auto workers, steel workers, and assembly plants across the country that lost their jobs to automation and robotics.

we will literally pay people to go to mcc or a technical school to become test technicians. I know it's not black and white, but it's also not as boo hoo as some make it out to be. There are opportunities and not everyone is just going to hand you everything. 

Judge From Caddyshack famously said,”the world needs ditch diggers too!” That position and many others seems to be an insult to many today who don’t want to do that work. However it is equally unfair to assume that all kids today are college ready at 18 and wanting to be college students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

3 beaches on Oneida lake closed for swimming for most or all of the summer cause they couldnt get lifeguards.  I remember when i was a kid you had to know someone to get those jobs thsy were in such demand.  

The wife and I were there on Sunday, they had 4 lifeguards working and nobody swimming LOL.

17 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

we will literally pay people to go to mcc or a technical school to become test technicians. I know it's not black and white, but it's also not as boo hoo as some make it out to be. There are opportunities and not everyone is just going to hand you everything.  

You have obviously missed my point of thousands of jobs have been lost to automation and a high percentage of manufacturing jobs have been lost to automation or gone overseas.

The days of getting a manufacturing job, retiring from there and the next generation doing the same are over. One good example is Eastman Kodak who used to employ 65,000 in Rochester and today employs approx. 2300.

That does not include the trickle down effect to their local suppliers that had to go out of business or bankrupt.

Some people have to work at Walmart just to supplement their income or to keep their heads above water.

5 hours ago, Pigmy said:

kodak is not a good example at all. I can point to the hundreds of local businesses that spawned from their screw ups and now employee thousands of rochestarians. 

If you get some time I would like to see that list. It would interesting to see how the other "businesses" compare to the salaries, benefits, and pensions that Kodak, Xerox, and a couple of others used to pay before they started sticking it to their employees.

Often times it is best just to shop at wallyworld when the store won't be crowded. In and out.

But do they have any good cheap hiking boots? I wonder if anyone knows anyone who used to work in the shoe department and also hikes places where parking is difficult but turkey hunting is manageable (as long as dog trainers don’t disturb the karate lessons and you tube videos that keep this forum running)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Steve D said:

If you get some time I would like to see that list. It would interesting to see how the other "businesses" compare to the salaries, benefits, and pensions that Kodak, Xerox, and a couple of others used to pay before they started sticking it to their employees.

well that's another discussion. First we were talking jobs and now we're talking pensions, which don't exist hardly anywhere anymore. Kodak was fat and happy yes. My father worked there for 32 years before they finally razed his building. I worked there for 2 summers as an intern. They very much mismanaged their business. I've also worked for Honeywell and GE who have both had pension programs and no longer do. The later is crippled by their fat and happy pension ways. None of the 3 companies we're discussing here was affected by automation. They're systemically affected by greed, corruption, regulations and generally becoming too large and not being able to adjust for the changing times. Best buy did, circuit city didn't. Amazon did. Sears didn't. There are examples for both of are arguments.

Generally speaking I would agree with you that the benefits for the american worker have dwindled significantly. Health care sucks, pensions don't exists which leads to many job hopping every few years as there is no longer any loyalty. Most of our retirement plans now sit and grow in the stock market and all we can do is hope that it's doing ok when we retire. sucks.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

Most of our retirement plans now sit and grow in the stock market and all we can do is hope that it's doing ok when we retire. sucks.

Well you can do more then hope , you should be rebalancing it as you age .protect more and more into fixed assets , although you’ll always need to have some In stocks to protect against inflation, but you may want to go less aggressive ,depending on your risk tolerance.

Currently  Mrs Nomad is 60/40 stocks/ bonds ( rebalanced quarterly).  ,while I’m 50/50 stocks ( both mutual funds and a dozen or so high dividend paying stocks ) and two fixed assets paying close to 4% . My fixed assets pay more then my wife’s social security. When stocks rise we think wow, look how much we're up , when they drop we think ,glad the fixed is providing so much .

If guys spent 1% of the time learning about and managing their money as they do deer hunting they’d all retire fat, dumb, and happy , like me .

Full disclosure, I do have a pension , and year one lived just off that , this year she collected SS, after delaying it a few years . We haven’t touched our investments , but drawing 4% a year would provide more income then my pension does . Just to show anyone can build enough wealth if they want that more then ,ATVs, boats ,motorcycles .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1