Do you have spots saved for the rut?

regulat0r

For the past 4 years, I have killed a buck w my bow during Veterans Day weekend. 2 at one stand and 2 at a different stand. I have been reading several articles lately that some hunters have “rut only” stands. The idea is that they save specific stands for the second week in November as to not “burn out” the spot or alert deer. 

Now, i I try to select stand locations that have a number of good conditions such as food source, funnels, water, in between food and bedding etc. I’m fortunate enough to have a number of properties to hunt and I usually rotate through them throughout the season. Does it make sense to have some “rut only” stands or does it not matter? 

For the past 4 years, I have killed a buck w my bow during Veterans Day weekend. 2 at one stand and 2 at a different stand. I have been reading several articles lately that some hunters have “rut only” stands. The idea is that they save specific stands for the second week in November as to not “burn out” the spot or alert deer. 

Now, i I try to select stand locations that have a number of good conditions such as food source, funnels, water, in between food and bedding etc. I’m fortunate enough to have a number of properties to hunt and I usually rotate through them throughout the season. Does it make sense to have some “rut only” stands or does it not matter? 
I use 3 sometimes 4 stands on 42 acres. These rut stands don't seem to make much difference to me. Seems in my experience it's being in the right spot at the right time is all it takes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I have a tiny parcel that I
Hunt with a buddy....it’s “his year” to hunt the prime time for this spot...10/26-nov2 is the magic week for that spot. 3 years in a row we killed some big ones from the same tree within the same week even when cameras show little buck activity prior to us dragging one out. We shall see if it hold up this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a woodlot in Elma that was really hard to get back into, just a mess of a trek. I'd always save it until early November and killed a buck there 4 or 5 years in a row. Then someone bought the house near it and brush hogged trails into it and spoiled it. There were stands and buck lures hanging all over the place

I dont have a rut stand.  However if its a cool morning and theres an east wind.  I will be at my lease in madison county(33acres).   Put those 2 things together that first week of november and they are in there all day. Ive seen chasing,sparing,grunting,ect. Its so fast paced cant ever get one to stop.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

JMO, If you know where the girls are frequenting for early Nov food sources or their core area - Won't this attract the boys? I haven't shot a buck in the past 16-17yrs that was not in an area where does regularly frequent. Of course, there might be exceptions to my strategy like hedge rows BBs might traverse while cruising to get to other does. Disclaimer ... this is for tree stands and probably a whole different hunting method needed for stalking, IDK.

3 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

JMO, If you know where the girls are frequenting for early Nov food sources or their core area - Won't this attract the boys? I haven't shot a buck in the past 16-17yrs that was not in an area where does regularly frequent. Of course, there might be exceptions to my strategy like hedge rows BBs might traverse while cruising to get to other does. Disclaimer ... this is for tree stands and probably a whole different hunting method needed for stalking, IDK.

No truer words for me. I have a rut stand that I know I’ll have an opportunity at but only if we have a bumper crop of acorns. Of course we do this year and I most likely won’t be able to get in there

dunno bout saved but i try not to burn out my best stands too early.  This year only taking off the opener until Oct 24. Dont want to blow out all the local does to bring in the bucks. I actually tend to hunt the fringes and field edges early season.  But I have a couple that tend to get hot early Nov

When I hunted on my cousins 100 acres I had my (killing tree) it was on a ridge in a 100 yard wide finger that connected big woods on both sides. Myself and wife killed a pile of deer in that finger . I shot my best buck from that tree and should have had 3 other really  nice  bucks , don’t ask .. 

Now we’re going into our second yr on 63 acres and still learning the new property. But after what a saw last year I have a few spots that I have a good feeling about for the rut this yr. 

• Like 1

I have 2 stands I stay out of until the bucks start seeking.. Then i hunt them hard, on the right conditions.. when I can. But I have learned to hunt more mid to late morning mid day sits when the rut is on.. The chance at better bucks increases. According to the trail cameras

12 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

yes. also have two swamps that serve as sanctuaries.

Establishing sanctuaries within a hunting property is a whole other topic. But, yes.. hunting the perimeters along known travel routes of these "safe zones" can be very productive.

Another interesting topic for discussion would be when are your most productive hours for harvesting BBs. Due to their activity or your own preferred hours to hunt?

Edited by nyslowhand

16 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Establishing sanctuaries within a hunting property is a whole other topic. But, yes.. hunting the perimeters along known travel routes of these "safe zones" can be very productive.

Another interesting topic for discussion would be when are your most productive hours for harvesting BBs. Due to their activity or your own preferred hours to hunt?

My answer is never. I am still hoping for that first big buck.

With my schedule I hunt when I can that's usually not preferred. All my stands will produce deer. Still every buck is different. Where I hunt also gets heavy pressure that influences movement including into these sanctuaries. They dont stay in them so they alone arent enough. So I save certain stands or climber stand locations for into the rut. Most people hunting then, deer move, and they seek out pockets less pressured. It helps create a pattern in my favor if a buck is already there. If his nose and hot tail leads him somewhere else that's beyond my control. Doe harvests are rarely in cover and early in the season now as possible. Always in higher people traffic areas they use to feed. Might take me a little longer but it doesnt add more pressure than what is already going to happen. You hunt deer with a plan fir whatever deer your after buck or doe, not just where you see the most and hope something specific shows up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1