What's the most you ever dove in same day to get to a hunting spot and be back home that night .

Hunter007

What's the farthest you have driven to get to a hunting spot and have to be back home by the same night.

I have driven up to  4 and half  hours one way to hunt  from home and  4 half  hours  back to get home the same night .  Gotten up some times before 2 am to get there as early as I can . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sitting dark to dark facing into the wind sucks the life outta me. Simply a recipe for disaster on a long drive home. .  Be careful folks 

Yea  I know what you mean  on trips like that I usally leave  early and come back early don't  hunt to  dark . Tried a few times dawn to dusk and it can be tuff getting back  . Now when I do those 4 plus hour trips at most by 3 pm  I start heading out of the woods start back   then it's not to bad you can stop take your time and not kill yourself. 

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

Many years ago I would make a three hour drive up to the Benson area, still hunt most of the day and drive back. It takes a lot out of a person to drive long hours, hunt the ADK's then drive back home. You cannot hunt the ADK's like most of the SZ. No going in 100 yards and flopping on a stump and hoping for the best. It's work.

These days, for a day hunt, I will only go an hour at most. Most times I cannot drive that far, so those trips are to private land my wife and I hunt in the ADK's and she drives.

I did have one day a couple years ago where I hunted 3 different WMA's and total driving time was just under 4 hours, yet none of those areas are more then 40 minutes from me if I only hunted one. I hit one area for the morning sit, then drove to another for some still hunting before lunch, ate lunch on the way to another spot to still hunt a bit more, then back to my original spot for the evening sit. It took a toll on my back and I was out for about a week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sitting dark to dark facing into the wind sucks the life outta me. Simply a recipe for disaster on a long drive home. .  Be careful folks 

Just kill what your after early.. use to leave my house at about 3 am arrive 830 9 am say hello to farmer whose land we hunted.he tell.me where birds were.hike up mountain ,kill bird before 11 am say good by thanks and see you next year to farmer  and home for dinner. 

hunting never that far, but fishing yes...  Drove up to fish the St lawrence after work on a fri night with two buddies but a 2.5 hour drive to get there.  We fished the entire night for Walleyes and caught a one (8lber).  But we mustve caught 200 rock bass.  lol Drifitng glow spinners and worms line wouldnt even get to the bottom.  Then we drove back in the am and they both fell asleep.  After about an hour i had to pull over.  Pulled into this little conv store lot, next thing i know someone is knocking on the truck window.  we all wake up and i roll the window down and the guy asks what time this place opens.  ??? what ..... I didnt even know what this place was and those guys never even knew we stopped.  LOL and what was this guy thinking with 3 guys all passed out in the front of a truck with a boat on the back - yeah lets wake them up - lol.  

Also have travelled up to the Dacks several times to fish all day and then drive back the next day cause it was so good!  - 2.5 hours to lake Durant one way 

Now I just mostly fish Oneida behind the house and hunt within 30 min of house 

• Like 1

Mine would be 3 hours/165 miles one way. Leave the house about 3:30 a.m. stop and have breakfast on the way. Hit Clayton just about daybreak. Drop the beagles and run rabbits til dark then load them up and head for home. They would sleep for two days afterwards.;). It wasn't unusual to limit out in a day and we usually didn't get home until 8:30-9:00 at night.

Sometimes we would get into the grouse also making the day worth the trip.

• Like 1

Ok I didnt come home the same night but...It was late season muzzleloader. My camp is 6 hrs. Something was burning inside me to be there in the am saturday. I took the kids to dinner and left at 9 pm friday night. Got in at 3 am slept for an hour or so and headed to the stand. That morning 13 doe came by and the last deer was a 6 pt. I took the shot but the powder was wet and got a roman candle flame. It was funny my bad. That evening I had 26 doe walk past me in the crunchy snow. but no bucks. It was totally worth the trip!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

I have two spots that are just about an hour away. That is the farthest one day trips and that sucks. Don't know how you guys do 2,3 4 regularly.

I don't and cannot do that anymore.

The three places I hunt most near me are less then 30 minutes away. One is 10 minutes.

I have very clear recollections of making those 3 hour drives when I was young ( they were not regular, a few times a season ). I never had an issue getting there, never had an issue hunting, but the drive home was always pure madness. Dozing off and getting groggy from being tired. Even opening the window and blasting the radio didn't always help. The last time I did that on my own I dozed off for a second, jerked myself awake and pulled off the side of the read much faster the one should. Dust flying from my sudden stop, heart racing hoping I didn't die or hurt anyone else, and then puking out the window when when I got my senses back. I never did that again.

Our farm is near the NW corner of WMU 9F, and my parent's is near the SE corner.   The drive between them is 13 miles and takes about 20 minutes.  That is the farthest away that I have hunted without spending the night.  I had a small chunk of land, about half way between these two places, for about 10 years.  I sold it shortly after purchasing this farm from my grandmother.  The 10 minute drive was nice, becausue I could come home easily for lunch.  

I can still count on one hand, the deer that I have killed outside of those three places.  That includes my first deer (a button buck of course) down in Allegheny state park, (2) Adirondack bucks and (2) Adirondack ML does.  Hopefully I can up that number a bit this season.   All of those involved several night's stay.   

I have driven up to two hours away, to fish for the day, on many occasions.  I am very thankful for the deer and other wildlife nearby, and for great places to stay far away, so that I never had to do that to hunt.