Hunting my land just got 10x easier

moog5050

Wetland surrounds most of the dry land at my place.  Great cover and some great buck bedding.  Easy enough to access for a hunt but a pain to recover deer.  My neighbor allows me access through his back field.   Not usually good direction for wind to access for hunting. but great for recovery.   Except a creek with 5.5’ deep vertical banks and spans 13’.   No easy ATV access until now.  And way too far to drag.   Reeltime helped me last year when I burried the ATV trying to recover my buck   Thanks again Lee!

Culver (thank you) helped me build a bridge with a 14” oak tree (some heavy heavy logs) and 2x10s.   Finished guard rails for ATV this morning to ensure no accident going over.   Thanks Bob.  Natalie will feel much better about crossing now with the guard rails too.    Bonus, makes access to maintain property10x easier too!  Ride in, up to stands and back out.  

Got some shooting lanes to cut now.   Hunting is hard work.  Lol

C63B11D6-ED46-40B6-801B-BAB0DFD9B886.jpeg

9B070F95-4621-4EAD-B431-198DF21AC3EA.jpeg

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 21

4 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

This Culver guys seems like a pretty decent guy huh?? Lol. 

Good deal guys. Looks fun. Hopefully it doesnt shift side to side on you. 

Logs sit on footer buried and each log weighs around 800lbs.   Sucker may rot some distant day but won’t move.   Bob is a pretty good engineer!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

Great team work!!! Thumbs up to Bob....again!!!  

Had a similar bridge put in at the lake property, a few years ago. Now the deer use it too!!

And yes sir, your hunting just got a bunch easier my friend!

Who did all the heavy lifting?  Did you have Bob do that too???.....................grin

• Like 1

Wetland surrounds most of the dry land at my place.  Great cover and some great buck bedding.  Easy enough to access for a hunt but a pain to recover deer.  My neighbor allows me access through his back field.   Not usually good direction for wind to access for hunting. but great for recovery.   Except a creek with 5.5’ deep vertical banks and spans 13’.   No ATV access until now.  And way too far to drag.   
Culver (thank you) helped me build a bridge with a 14” oak tree (some heavy heavy logs) and 2x10s.   Finished guard rails for ATV this morning to ensure no accident going over.   Thanks Bob.  Natalie will feel much better about crossing now with the guard rails too.    Bonus, makes access to maintain property10x easier too!  Ride in, up to stands and back out.  
Got some shooting lanes to cut now.   Hunting is hard work.  Lol
C63B11D6-ED46-40B6-801B-BAB0DFD9B886.thumb.jpeg.00e2e12f97a8c42dd5df3559d9d89e92.jpeg
9B070F95-4621-4EAD-B431-198DF21AC3EA.thumb.jpeg.2cc891e85004da87ca16e89129c4e101.jpeg
Tis a fine looking bridge

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Work smarter, not harder. Nice bridge guys..

Give it a hunting season and let the deer find it. You just made a pinch point for them to cross. When I hunted my cousins property we had the same situation. After we built the bridge early spring, I walked over it the opening day of archery and it was loaded with deer tracks. Up went a ground blind .. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure if deer will use it.  3” gaps between planks but maybe.  Their traditional crossing is only 15” east but still very steep.   Bridge definitely easier.  Saw a great buck today today.  Good start.  

They will use it. Deer are lazy. One of my buddys has a similar bridge at his place. Deer used to jump across the creek all over the place. After the bridge went in, the vast majority of deer traffic for a couple of hundred yards is on that bridge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Logs sit on footer buried and each log weighs around 800lbs.   Sucker may rot some distant day but won’t move.   Bob is a pretty good engineer!

I figured you done it right! just had to make sure.. I learned that lesson the hard way as a young teen when i thought I could build anything! Well i did, just not the right way at times lol 

• Haha 1

Just don't forget to remove it at the end of the season before spring thaw out!  Good job, looks like the drag will be 10 times easier now!  Good luck hope that is covered in red by the end of this year!  

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

Nice bridge!

Deer will deff use it. I wish I had a pic of the old bridge at our old camp. It was washed away in a bad storm but it spanned about 35 ft. Steep hillsides on both sides made crossing anywhere tricky even for the deer. First time it snowed after building it our question was answered, tracks all over it! Pretty cool how deer don’t mind using man made bridges.

• Like 1