brush hog suggestions

I have a friend with an old Massey tractor. It doesn't have a 3 pt hitch only a draw bar. Last year we picked up a pull behind mower that uses the pto and has 2 rear wheels that can be adjusted for height. We though it was the perfect set up for mowing lanes in the woods but the tractor doesn't seem to have the power to run the mower. I believe the mower is 5' but it may be 6' I don't recall and the tractor might be about 20hp? I would love to get a 48" mower hoping the tractor can handle it but it's hard to find anything but 3pt hitch type mowers. Do you think I could convert a standard woods mower by adding a couple of wheels on the sides of the mower so I can attach it to the tractor by the draw bar?  The other problem is the pto on the tractor is offset to the left side of center so the 3pt bars will probably  interfere with the drive shaft. Any suggestions? Thanks

5ft is too big 6 is way too big. Raise the mower as high as it will go and run the tractor in the lowest gear. After you get it down if you do it often enough you can get by with what you have until you find a smaller tow behind. I had a 4ft pull behind that was made for a farmall cub and it worked like a charm I just didn’t have a tractor small enough to run it so I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I had a 4ft pull behind that was made for a farmall cub and it worked like a charm

That sounds like exactly what i need. I did try raising the height but it still stalls the tractor in the deep stuff. Plus it's too wide for some of the woods trails as the wheels are mounted on the outside of the brush hog.

8 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

That sounds like exactly what i need. I did try raising the height but it still stalls the tractor in the deep stuff. Plus it's too wide for some of the woods trails as the wheels are mounted on the outside of the brush hog.

Goose has a 4 ft tow behind mower you could take motor off and put your gearbox on it and buy smaller blades.. . I have 4ft 3pt if you wanted to try it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2019 at 12:18 PM, G-Man said:

Goose has a 4 ft tow behind mower you could take motor off and put your gearbox on it and buy smaller blades.. . I have 4ft 3pt if you wanted to try it.

How would a 3 pt hook up to a tractor with only a draw bar? 

Also, Goose has a 4 ft pull behind with a motor? Is the motor not working? Sounds like a project I could try working on? 

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

Also, Goose has a 4 ft pull behind with a motor? Is the motor not working? Sounds like a project I could try working on? 

Have to take drawbar and wheels off your 5 ft

I will sell you an Allis Chalmers C (24 hp PTO) that could probably handle your 5-foot pull-type for $ 900.  PM me if interested.    It is tricycle front, which is not the best in hilly areas but is in decent shape with low hours.  It is a 1942 model year with rare "pre-war" spoked front rims.   A collector once told me that just those rims were worth $ 200 each.  

I have not started it yet this year, but it has never failed to go, as long as it is not too cold out.  It uses a crank handle and does not have a battery.  Carb. was rebuilt a few years ago, tires are good (not loaded).     

5 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I have a 4 ft 3 pt hitch mower with belt and pulleys that runs off the pto. If you could make a frankenstein mower using my body and your gearbox (instead of the belt and pulleys) . . . . At least I think that's what @G-Man was getting at.

Not to thread hijack, but I bought a Bush Hog BH215 5' this week. Once I got the slip clutch properly adjusted, it worked OK. (Much more to the story, but I'll post in a new thread).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, goosifer said:

I have a 4 ft 3 pt hitch mower with belt and pulleys that runs off the pto. If you could make a frankenstein mower using my body and your gearbox (instead of the belt and pulleys) . . . . At least I think that's what @G-Man was getting at.

Not to thread hijack, but I bought a Bush Hog BH215 5' this week. Once I got the slip clutch properly adjusted, it worked OK. (Much more to the story, but I'll post in a new thread).

could you post some pics? I'd love to try and make a Frankenstein mower! Are you close to me? I'm in amherst.